PDA

View Full Version : starting to reload for long range rifle, help choosing what i need

mtenenhaus
02-09-2017, 6:41 AM
for the 308:
i have purchased a co-ax reloader and micrometer seating die. my vibrating case cleaner is due any day as is the cleaning media. I'll need to pick up a good full length sizing die shortly. For sizing lube, thought i'd try to make the lanolin/alcohol spray.

i still need to purchase the following and really could use your help/advice:

case trimmer.....what's the best value, would like to keep it under $100 if possible, so many options out there like the wft, the cts trimmer and then sinclair/lyman lathe types. I was hoping for a power one, it just seems more efficient but can't see another $400 right now.

I'm also somewhat worried about all the metal shavings all over the floor...how do you minimize this?

Deburring/chamfer...again, what's the best value in your opinion, is there something good that fits on a power drill or do you use one of the all in one powered tools?

Preparing the primer pocket, what tool is preferred?

I would really appreciate specific brand/models to consider. don't want to waste money buy buying something i'll regret shortly and yet would prefer to be cost conscious.

thank you

TomReloaded
02-09-2017, 8:55 AM
I hand trim for precision rounds. For that kind of shooting, hand prepping isn't unreasonable. I could trim to 0.001 consistency with a Lee trimmer by hand.

It is slow, but it'll out trim anything for exact even lengths. For precision, that seems to be the important part.

OpenSightsOnly
02-09-2017, 10:16 AM
for the 308:
i have purchased a co-ax reloader and micrometer seating die. my vibrating case cleaner is due any day as is the cleaning media. I'll need to pick up a good full length sizing die shortly. For sizing lube, thought i'd try to make the lanolin/alcohol spray.

case trimmer.....what's the best value, would like to keep it under $100 if possible, so many options out there like the wft, the cts trimmer and then sinclair/lyman lathe types. I was hoping for a power one, it just seems more efficient but can't see another $400 right now.

I'm also somewhat worried about all the metal shavings all over the floor...how do you minimize this?

Deburring/chamfer...again, what's the best value in your opinion, is there something good that fits on a power drill or do you use one of the all in one powered tools?

I would really appreciate specific brand/models to consider. don't want to waste money buy buying something i'll regret shortly and yet would prefer to be cost conscious.

thank you

Save $ and buy the following:

a) Forsters 308 die set
b) Chargemaster
c) Giraud Trimmer

Antithesis
02-09-2017, 10:35 AM
You forgot the charge master as mentioned above.

For handheld case tools I have the full lyman set. Got for around 95 shipped.

jimmykan
02-09-2017, 10:46 AM
Anneal your cases.

Precision Rifle Blog - Reloading Tips From Top Precision Rifle Shooters (http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/12/31/reloading-tips-from-top-precision-rifle-shooters/)

Survey of the top 100 shooters in the Precision Rifle Series
http://2poqx8tjzgi65olp24je4x4n.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Brass-Prep-Steps-645x382.png

You can do it simply with a blowtorch and a 1/2" hex deep socket chucked in a drill. Use Tempilaq 750-degrees as a done-ness indicator.

Or get a machine. Here's a relatively affordable one:

Mike's Reloading Bench - MRB Case Annealer (http://www.mikesreloadingbench.com/mikes%20reloading%20bench_025.htm)

Whiterabbit
02-10-2017, 2:58 PM
The way I read that, people who clean pockets don't uniform, and vice versa.

Thus, 56% of PRB poll takers "touch" the primer pockets, making it #2 on the list over the neck turning.

I prefer uniforming because if I am going ot touch the pocket, may as well uniform it. uniforming will clean on the second firing since no metal will be touched.

silvertriple
02-10-2017, 8:17 PM
I'm not a competition shooter, but do like to make my rifles shoot good. I use a lot of Lee reloading products since they're a little less expensive and gets the job done just as well.

I use the Lee hand trimmer and debur/ chamfer tool. Put the case holder on the drill. Once trimmed, debur and chamfer, remove case, all done. I do this sitting down over a small trash can between my legs. Pretty quick and really no mess to clean up.

5gnut
02-11-2017, 3:09 PM
If it is a bolt rifle, you might consider neck sizing

longrange1
02-12-2017, 4:43 AM
for the 308:

thank you

the lanolin/alcohol is the best case lube ever and ive used them all...mix it 12to1 and your golden.

case trimmer...i have and love the forester original with the 3way cutter head and power attachment...about $150 bucks at brownells and it Deburrs,chamfers and trims all at the same time...RCBS makes a 3way trimmer as well.

shavings are not bad...just have the wife vacuum LOL...or you vacuum or throw a piece of visequeen down when you trim.

primer pockets...21st century or K&M...i have and like the K&M tools but you can go wrong with either one.

as mentioned above annealing is important...i made my own hill billy annealing set up that works well but there are several on the market now for around $300 bucks.

waveslayer
02-12-2017, 6:20 AM
To save time. Here's a quick reply, get the world's fastest trimmer, from little crow, it's really good and below your budget

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

calibrator
02-12-2017, 8:05 AM
I was where you are about 3 months ago. I bought the RCBS package that Cabelas offers as an exclusive combining everything you need short of dies. It included the Chargemaster, Pro-Trim 2, ... etc.

When it came to selecting my dies, I called the barrel manufacturers, and talked to the owners for recommendations regarding dies, and such. I then called the die manufacturers (Redding, Forster, ... etc.) to further decide on what to purchase. I also don't hesitate to call the bullet manufacturers to ask further questions regarding the actual loading and prep. These guys make their living selling this stuff, and their tech staff is there to make sure you're using their product correctly.

I'd sooner seek advice from a guy who is involved in the Industry on a daily basis. I like talking to the tech staff at Hornady since I use their bullets mostly.

LynnJr
02-12-2017, 9:33 AM
Go to Sinclair International online and get all your case prep tools from the best.

Whiterabbit
02-12-2017, 11:29 AM
If it is a bolt rifle, you might consider neck sizing

+1, buy the FL die set from rcbs then buy the neck size die. It's good to have both.

To save time. Here's a quick reply, get the world's fastest trimmer, from little crow, it's really good and below your budget

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

+1 again, if i shot common cartridges I would have 1 WFT per.

RandyD
02-12-2017, 12:49 PM
Go to Sinclair International online and get all your case prep tools from the best.

I'll second your recommendation on using Sinclair International. http://www.sinclairintl.com/

NorCalFocus
02-13-2017, 3:09 PM
Use a case wax like Hornady's Unique or Reddings Imerpial. I put a little on my thumb and index finger and roll the case in my fingers before placing it on the press. Size it, wipe it with a rag. I personally like the control of using the wax vs the mess of spraying a bunch of cases down. Plus it much easier to avoid hydrualic denting with the wax.

I use the Lyman power trimmer, because it does any case I want without having to buy more bushings or heads. I recently bought a Hornady Case Prep Trio to power the chamfer and deburring heads. Makes the entire trimming process very easy. The only way I could improve it, would be to go to a Worlds Finest or Giruad.

For the primer pockets, again the Case Prep Trio. Thats my 3rd attachment on the machine. So I trim, then chamfer and deburr, the pocket clean. I also use a universal decapping die so I remove primers before I tumble the cases.

Maltese Falcon
02-13-2017, 3:15 PM
Anneal your cases.

Lots of good info on this thread. GL

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=19620269#post19620269