PDA

View Full Version : 60 Minutes (Rem 700)

Marauder2003
01-29-2017, 1:41 PM
They are doing a story on the Remington 700. Given that the story is 2 years old I can only assume it is a hatchet job.

JackEllis
01-29-2017, 1:55 PM
One of my high school teachers noted that the masthead on the New York Times, which still reads, "All the news that's fit to print", should read, "All the news that fits the print". It's true of every news outlet on any side of the political spectrum, not just the Times. Mundane stories typically don't interest readers. They want to read about the sensational and the scandalous.

Many years ago 60 minutes did a "hatchet job" on the Clinton nuclear plant in Illinois. Only they got their a**es handed to them because the folks at the nuclear plant were able to show how CBS had edited the footage they took to tell the story CBS wanted to tell.

/Rant off.

GlockN'Roll
01-29-2017, 1:58 PM
One of my high school teachers noted that the masthead on the New York Times, which still reads, "All the news that's fit to print", should read, "All the news that fits the print". It's true of every news outlet on any side of the political spectrum, not just the Times. Mundane stories typically don't interest readers. They want to read about the sensational and the scandalous.

Many years ago 60 minutes did a "hatchet job" on the Clinton nuclear plant in Illinois.

Only they got their a**es handed to them because the folks at the nuclear plant were able to show how CBS had edited the footage they took to tell the story CBS wanted to tell.

/Rant off.

And yet both the advertisers and view remain.

The liberal media gets caught in their lies and distortions over and over again, still nothing changes.

They need to lose their broadcast licenses...

Ki6vsm
01-29-2017, 2:26 PM
So.... what's this all about now? How can someone be "doing a story" and the story is already two years old?

EDIT: Ah never mind. I googled it: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-preview-the-remington-700/

SoCalPI
01-29-2017, 6:02 PM
It got dropped for Trump news.

golfish
01-29-2017, 7:12 PM
It got dropped for Trump news.

They could have bashed guns and Trump, what the hec !!

SoCalPI
01-29-2017, 7:15 PM
They could have bashed guns and Trump, what the hec !!

Shocking. They were more concerned with some French guy who makes a hidden motor for cyclists to put on their bikes so they can cheat and not pedal as hard.

golfish
01-29-2017, 7:18 PM
Shocking. They were more concerned with some French guy who makes a hidden motor for cyclists to put on their bikes so they can cheat and not pedal as hard.

I do like those little motors :)

iMigraine
08-15-2017, 8:50 PM
They just released it on the air and now on the net too.
http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/youre-fired-the-remington-700-americas-steeplechase/

Going to watch it later.

Crazed_SS
08-15-2017, 9:47 PM
Meh.. didnt seem like a "hatchet job" to me.

Remington just seems like another big company putting profits before safety.

I own one of these but never got around to taking advantage of the fix... Just have to be extra sure you're practicing rule #1 with it.

sakosf
08-15-2017, 9:54 PM
In this case it did not seem like a "hatchet job" to me either.

Springfield45
08-15-2017, 10:00 PM
This again. How many times are they going to go after Remington about triggers? Out of millions of 700 model Remmys sold and used by law enforcement, military, and civilians there is only a handful of cases of faulty triggers. And those were most likely do to bad maintenance. Or even straight up sabotage. I have an older Model 721 and I trust it completely. I would all so point out that you should never point any gun at anyone or anything when you are unloading it.

Crazed_SS
08-16-2017, 6:40 AM
This again. How many times are they going to go after Remington about triggers? Out of millions of 700 model Remmys sold and used by law enforcement, military, and civilians there is only a handful of cases of faulty triggers. And those were most likely do to bad maintenance. Or even straight up sabotage. I have an older Model 721 and I trust it completely. I would all so point out that you should never point any gun at anyone or anything when you are unloading it.

Yea that's great if we're talking about faulty circuit boards in a laptop or something, but with guns, cars, machinerey, etc "a handful" of faulty components that can cause death or serious injury is a HUGE deal. Look at how much defective airbags are costing that Japanese company.

There has "only" been 11 deaths, but tens of millions of cars need to be recalled.. https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2016/05/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-takata-air-bag-recall/index.htm

Also.. I'm sure you do trust the rifle. The center of the story was a boy convicted of murdering his sibling. The boy has sworn the whole time he didnt touch the trigger. Even the boy's dad testified against him in court because as a gun guy, he knows guns and trusted the rifle. The dad basically said he didnt believe his son's innocence at first because rifles dont "go off" unless someone pulls the trigger.

Well sometimes they do. Even Remington internal testing shows they do.

ar15barrels
08-16-2017, 8:45 AM
with guns, cars, machinerey, etc "a handful" of faulty components that can cause death or serious injury is a HUGE deal.

Every Remington 700 trigger related injury or death was avoidable by following the basic firearms safety rules.
EVERY SINGLE ONE.

The fact that ANY of them happened is simply proof that the basic safety rules are not followed.

vintagearms
08-16-2017, 9:26 AM
Also.. I'm sure you do trust the rifle. The center of the story was a boy convicted of murdering his sibling. The boy has sworn the whole time he didnt touch the trigger. Even the boy's dad testified against him in court because as a gun guy, he knows guns and trusted the rifle. The dad basically said he didnt believe his son's innocence at first because rifles dont "go off" unless someone pulls the trigger.

Well sometimes they do. Even Remington internal testing shows they do.
He loaded a rifle and pointed it at his sibling with the safety OFF. Who the f cares if it went off accidentally. He should be charged with murder and if not that, at least manslaughter.

WWDHD?
08-16-2017, 8:24 PM
He loaded a rifle and pointed it at his sibling with the safety OFF. Who the f cares if it went off accidentally. He should be charged with murder and if not that, at least manslaughter.

That's what I thought after watching this story. Tragic story but the kid broke every basic firearm safety rule. I'd have voted guilty if I was on that jury - faulty trigger or not.