PDA

View Full Version : 14.5" Barrels... What to do?

Oldmandan
01-03-2017, 9:19 AM
Gentlemen, looking for some feedback

After spending a small fortune to convert ALL my rifles to featureless. I have 2 that have me a little undecided.

First, is a 14.5" Anderson Barrel AR with pinned YHM FH, while neither component is expensive, this AR is accurate a F@#K, and I'm hesitant to mess with it. It's become my "go to"

Second is a AMD65 with 14.5" pinned barrel and a custom AIMR flash hider that Buelster did some machining to, I'm reluctant to ruin it.

"My plan" is to escape to free America within 3-5 years, (depending on when my transfer comes through)

I have other usable featureless AK's and AR's to shoot in the meantime.

What would you do;
a. Register these 2 "as is", unregister later
b. Remove barrels and store away, until escape to free America happens
c. Cut FH's off, and repin brakes on them

Nguyen
01-03-2017, 9:26 AM
Gentlemen, looking for some feedback

After spending a small fortune to convert ALL my rifles to featureless. I have 2 that have me a little undecided.

First, is a 14.5" Anderson Barrel AR with pinned YHM FH, while neither component is expensive, this AR is accurate a F@#K, and I'm hesitant to mess with it. It's become my "go to"

Second is a AMD65 with 14.5" pinned barrel and a custom AIMR flash hider that Buelster did some machining to, I'm reluctant to ruin it.

"My plan" is to escape to free America within 3-5 years, (depending on when my transfer comes through)

I have other usable featureless AK's and AR's to shoot in the meantime.

What would you do;

then dont mess with it...

kevman0154
01-03-2017, 9:40 AM
Just replace the barrel and save it for later.

Unless you really dont want to mess with it, then just buy/build a new upper to the same specifictions with a 16in barrel or something.

plumbworker
01-03-2017, 9:43 AM
I'm in the same boat.. I going to have a smith remove the flash hider and pin on an extension or muzzle brake I haven't decided yet. The weld shouldnt be in the threads ( just securing the pin) doesn't necessarily need to be "cut off" just need to drill the pin out and carefully unthread the fh.

Mesa Defense
01-03-2017, 9:57 AM
Just buy / build new uppers!

ScottsBad
01-03-2017, 10:03 AM
Well, there are many ways to go. I bought 4 extra lowers to register and put the 14.5s on (or what ever upper I want). I wanted to have some registered lowers so we didn't have to use featureless all the time.

It is possible, depending on the attachment method used, to remove a pinned FH. If you want to try that (or have a skilled gunsmith do it). Then have a new comp pinned.

Obviously you can change the barrels out, but an upper receiver is only about $100 so why bother unless you can't get the rail off for some reason. Usually you can buy a spare barrel nut for most rail systems if you want to use the rail on another build.

Having an upper with a FH without having a registered lower is mildly worrisome. As long as you keep it out of the public eye and don't get visited by the cops you could be fine, but who knows for sure. I wouldn't do it.

You'll have to get a ruling from the more legally minded members if one registered lower will keep you safe if you own more than one evil FH upper.

xxINKxx
01-03-2017, 10:19 AM
It's just an upper.... Take it off and put it in your gun safe til you move. Or have a qualified gunsmith drill The pin and weld a brake in its place. Won't affect accuracy if done right.

SVT-40
01-03-2017, 10:26 AM
What would you do;

Register those two, and take them with you when you leave Ca....

No need to "unregister" them when you leave Ca....

Just leave.....:D

If it really bugs you just mothball those two uppers.....

Why remove the barrels?

Since you have other rifles, no need to mess with accurate uppers by removing barrels.

Whiskey_Tango
01-03-2017, 10:39 AM
Sold my only 14.5" upper.

shafferds
01-03-2017, 11:52 AM
This is why I don't go 14.5 barrel. Either take off and build new, or have it taken off and reinstall a muzzle brake than repin and weld.

Drew Eckhardt
01-03-2017, 12:07 PM
Having an upper with a FH without having a registered lower is mildly worrisome. As long as you keep it out of the public eye and don't get visited by the cops you could be fine, but who knows for sure. I wouldn't do it.

DOJ knows and put it in writing with 11 CFR 5471(hh)(3).

Since that combination is not semiautomatic, it can't be a semiautomatic center fire rifle under PC 30515(a)(1) defining featured assault weapons.

11 CFR 5471(hh)(3):

With regards to an AR-15 style firearm if a complete upper receiver and a complete lower receiver are completely detached from one another, but still in the possession or under the custody or control of the same person the firearm is not a semiautomatic firearm.

Gowking
01-03-2017, 12:12 PM
Swap the barrel on the AR if you still want to use it as a featureless semi auto and use a bolt carrier without a piston on the AK thus making it not a semi auto.

geoint
01-03-2017, 12:29 PM
Just buy / build new uppers!

Don't even have to do that. Just separate the upper from the lower and make the lower featureless. Doesn't sound like you have a shortage of ARs so just make these safe queens til you can get to a free state or til Trump saves us

ScottsBad
01-03-2017, 12:48 PM
DOJ knows and put it in writing with 11 CFR 5471(hh)(3).

Since that combination is not semiautomatic, it can't be a semiautomatic center fire rifle under PC 30515(a)(1) defining featured assault weapons.

11 CFR 5471(hh)(3):

I read the law, and it says that a lower without an upper attached is not a firearm, but I think it is still unclear about when that doesn't apply. In other words, are there certain combinations, for instance, a featureless lower in proximity of an AW upper when there is no AW lower....does that make it constructive possession?

Yeah, you can have a featureless upper removed from a featureless or featured lower, and it's not a firearm. But it remains unclear to me that constructive possession has been completely eliminated.

For that reason, I am cautious.

ScottsBad
01-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Don't even have to do that. Just separate the upper from the lower and make the lower featureless. Doesn't sound like you have a shortage of ARs so just make these safe queens til you can get to a free state or til Trump saves us

Basically, that is what I have done. Make the nicest pre-reg lowers featureless, and RAW some recently purchased AERO and Ruger lowers with appropriate uppers.

But it remains a question to me whether or not owning a 14.5 inch barrel with a pinned FH is legal to have if there is no RAW lower.

In the same way that you cannot own a pistol upper legally without owning a pistol lower. I don't think the regulations intended to make all constructive possession obsolete.

chead
01-03-2017, 2:32 PM
Can I use a cardboard cut-out of an upper with "pew pew" written on it for my reg photo?

DrewTheBrave
01-03-2017, 3:44 PM
I'd recommend registering ONE lower, which you can swap your two 14.5" uppers on as you see fit.

Schutzman
01-03-2017, 8:06 PM
Since you already have other rifles to train with I'd go with plan b until leaving this komi state.

Oldmandan
01-04-2017, 7:29 AM
thanks for the replies guys,

I'm thinking the best thing to do with the AR is remove the upper and put it in long term storage with the gas tube removed(just to be on the safe side)

The AMD65 is a different story... I'm now thinking I can sacrifice a 10-rd Tapco mag and permanently attach it to the receiver somehow? It doesn't need to function, I don't plan on using it again until I get to free America.

land locked
01-04-2017, 11:30 AM
thanks for the replies guys,

The AMD65 is a different story... I'm now thinking I can sacrifice a 10-rd Tapco mag and permanently attach it to the receiver somehow? It doesn't need to function, I don't plan on using it again until I get to free America.

Check out this thread.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1278696