PDA

View Full Version : SKS Question #2, how to make a sniper legal with detachable magazines..

Cobrafreak
10-27-2008, 7:22 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/jperickson2001/1ex7.jpg

Would it be California legal to build this SKS but WITH DETACHABLE 10 round magazines IF I sealed the left side of the stock so there were no hole in the center?(I'm right handed) I was thinking of riveting some black ABS to fill the void. A pistol grip is not a pistol grip if you can't grab your hand all the way around it, right? And of course changing stock parts with Compliance parts? I would change the :
Trigger
Sear
Hammer
muzzle brake
stock
Hand guard
Gas Tube
Gas Piston
Is this enough to make this legal or am I over doing it? I really would like to have detachable 10 round magazines. -John

aplinker
10-27-2008, 7:26 PM
No

SKS with detachable magazine is a listed AW

You could potentially do it with one of the "non-SKS" SKS'.

You would have to comply with 922(r)

ohsmily
10-27-2008, 8:13 PM
This thread is an Excedrin #5 headache.

aplinker
10-27-2008, 8:25 PM
This thread is an Excedrin #5 headache.

:D

My first thought was, "What the hell... why?!"

This is like trying to make tofu taste like steak... then wrapping it with bacon.

wilit
10-27-2008, 8:27 PM
You can do it if you buy a Zastava M59 or M59/66. Neither have the word "SKS" stamped on it. Anything that SKS stamped on it would be an AW with a detachable mag.

Cobrafreak
10-27-2008, 8:34 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/jperickson2001/1ex7.jpg

Would it be California legal to build this SKS but WITH DETACHABLE 10 round magazines IF I sealed the left side of the stock so there were no hole in the center?(I'm right handed) I was thinking of riveting some black ABS to fill the void. A pistol grip is not a pistol grip if you can't grab your hand all the way around it, right? And of course changing stock parts with Compliance parts? I would change the :
Trigger
Sear
Hammer
muzzle brake
stock
Hand guard
Gas Tube
Gas Piston
Is this enough to make this legal or am I over doing it? I really would like to have detachable 10 round magazines. -John

I should have noted that I DO have a Yugo 59/66. So, can I put a detachable 10 round magazine on a Yugo in the configuration in the picture if I close the hole up in the stock?-John

ohsmily
10-27-2008, 8:41 PM
I should have noted that I DO have a Yugo 59/66. So, can I put a detachable 10 round magazine on a Yugo in the configuration in the picture if I close the hole up in the stock?-John

yes. if you close the hole in the dragunov stock that you went out of your way to add, you can use detachable magazines. In fact, you can use high capacity detachable magazines if you have them.

If you want detachable magazines, you should ditch the cheapy tupperware stock and use it with the original stock so and detachable mags.

Cobrafreak
10-27-2008, 8:50 PM
Thanks, I think. I happen to like "cheapy tupperware stocks", thank you very much. Looking for accurate information from fellow California firearms enthusiasts, not opinionated drivel. -John

ohsmily
10-27-2008, 9:03 PM
Thanks, I think. I happen to like "cheapy tupperware stocks", thank you very much. Looking for accurate information from fellow California firearms enthusiasts, not opinionated drivel. -John

I answered your question. Enjoy your 'sniper rifle.' I think your sniper rig will look dope with those detachable clips too......

Is Carmichal the sniper spelling of Carmichael?

Cobrafreak
10-27-2008, 9:38 PM
Again, thanks for your MANY opinions ohsmily. What would the world do without your intelligence and charm. You are THE MAN! : ) -John

CHS
10-28-2008, 8:38 AM
Please don't call this a "sniper" rifle.

Sniper rifles are generally accurate.

CSACANNONEER
10-28-2008, 9:09 AM
I happen to have several SKSes including a Russian one with that stock. The stock is fine but, ditch the idea of optics, they don't hold zero well on a SKS and don't expect it to be extemely accurate or percise. It was never intended to be either! Also, the term "sniper rifle" does tend to fuel the fire for antis. I shoot long range compition (1000 yards) and I refer to my rifles as competition rifles, percission rifles or target rifles. Never do I refer to them as "sniper rifles"! I am not a sniper and neither are you. If you were, you would not be able to convince yourself that your goal of having an extremely accurate SKS is possible.

Black Majik
10-28-2008, 9:12 AM
Please don't call this a "sniper" rifle.

Sniper rifles are generally accurate.

:rofl:

SunriseF150
10-28-2008, 9:21 AM

No need to get butt hurt from a "tupperware stock" comment. It wasn't meant to insult you. It's not a good start to get off on by insulting members that are here answering your questions. I've seen those stocks myself and think they are crappy too. But to each their own. It's just that probably won't look all that great with a piece of black abs riveted onto the side of it. If you want to do it the right way i'd suggest centering the abs in the middle and using an automotive plastic weld like Duramix or the 3M stuff and putting it in permanently, then you can finish it off with a texture spray so it blends in and matches. With an original stock you don't have to worry about filling the stock in. Heck, if you like the black look they make a black stain you could use on your original wood stock. I used it on a ak wood stock set and it came out awesome.

bwiese
10-28-2008, 9:34 AM
If you were to do a conversion of a non-SKS Simonov rifle like the Yugo Zastava M59/66 you would also have to be cognizant of 922(r)/27 CFR 478.39 "domestic parts content" issues.

Thus to convert you'd probably have to play the 10-or-less key foreign parts game; the problem with this is that many of the replacement parts are from vendors like Tapco, with obvious quality issues.

If you are looking for an accurate 'sniper' rifle on the SKS platform you can only achieve it thru complete substitution of another nonSKS rifle. Your rifle and ammo need to be subMOA and the round is useful downrange at a fair distance. The 7.62x39 is not that round; match ammo isn't available, the gun has sloppy chambering & bolt engagement, and the scope mount walks.

The SKS is a basic battle carbine and does what it does very well.

railroader
10-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Actually that stock is a Choate stock and they are well made. I know I have one on my paratrooper. Personally I wouldn't use detachable mags on any sks even a yugo just to avoid the possible hassle. I'm saying this and I have a saiga and a bullet button ar. It's just that every where I see yugos, except maybe here they are referred to as sks's. Mark

AaronHorrocks
10-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Please learn the difference between a clip and a magazine.

Cobrafreak
10-28-2008, 3:14 PM
I got the picture from this forum from the CA legal 7.62 auto loaders thread that was posted by senior member "MOREPOOP4U". He said "this is my sniper". Nobody gave him a bad time about poly stocks or the reference of an SKS as a "sniper"! Why me and not him? I just want accurate info. Thanks.

Frijolito1988
10-28-2008, 3:16 PM
I got the picture from this forum from the CA legal 7.62 auto loaders thread that was posted by senior member "MOREPOOP4U". He said "this is my sniper". Nobody gave him a bad time about poly stocks or the reference of an SKS as a "sniper"! Why me and not him? I just want accurate info. Thanks.

he was probably joking around

Sampachi
10-28-2008, 3:22 PM
I've seen very few detachable magazine SKSs that actually work well. The ones that did were factory made Norinco SKS-M or D models (which are AWs in this state).
This isn't meant as criticism of your idea, just letting you know that the conversions rarely work as well as one hopes for.

Oh, one more thing... Evidently the Yugos made a scoped SKS DMR. They are quite rare and I doubt they are anymore accurate than the standard model M59, but hey, proof of concept, so to speak.

Steve O
10-28-2008, 4:24 PM
Please learn the difference between a clip and a magazine.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/djseanpaul_album/magcliprp9.jpg

railroader
10-28-2008, 5:44 PM
This is my "factory chinese sniper rifle" before I changed the stock and cut off the bayo lug. :) I think I need a new pic.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=7130&d=1067656700

Mark

Full Clip
10-28-2008, 5:54 PM
Why would anyone want to use a detachable mag on an SKS (or pattern rifle) unless the replacement is a Tapco 20-rounder (which we are not legally allowed to purchase)? The original fixed box mag is far more reliable than any available 10-round detachable and can be instantly dumped if necessary or quickly loaded with stripper clips. It's a great design for it's intended purpose! Don't mess with success!
Oh, and SKSs are terrible platforms for a "sniper," but okay for maybe a <300-yard DMR-type rifle... no?

ghost
10-28-2008, 5:54 PM
:TFH::TFH:

hnoppenberger
10-28-2008, 8:17 PM
i was gonna say my sks has great bore and the groups are like 12 inches at BEST at 200 yards.

is there something im missing with a sniper version of an SKS?
or is it just for fun???

AaronHorrocks
10-29-2008, 7:33 AM
Sniper Rifle? Never. DMR at best.

EBR Works
10-29-2008, 7:55 AM
They can be accurate. I have shot MOA at 100 with my Albanian SKS with the stock irons. I was very surprised!

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g302/impactco/albsks.jpg

AaronHorrocks
10-29-2008, 8:04 AM
Sure, a well built SKS is probably the most accurate military production rifle in 7.62x39... But calling it a Sniper Rifle is right out!

motorhead
10-29-2008, 8:12 AM
as you probably already deduced, it's the name game. listed vs off list. all off list rules apply as does 922(r). featureless build or mag lock.