PDA

View Full Version : Safe "dry fire" practice setup

BanjoGunner
10-15-2008, 2:21 PM
I'd like to do some dry fire drills to improve my trigger control. I have a good spot in my home to practice, but I want to put some habits in place just in case a live round should ever make it into my gun. Not likely, but better safe than sorry.

I was planning on placing the target on a 5 lb bucket full of sand (cat litter actually), which will be up against a cement wall. Would the bucket of sand be sufficient to stop a 9mm bullet? A .357 magnum?

Thanks.

BONECUTTER
10-15-2008, 2:31 PM
Iwould the bucket of sand be sufficient to stop a 9mm bullet? A .357 magnum?

Thanks.

Maybe.....look....be safe.
Take snap caps/empty mags to another room. Never practice with real ammo around.

Check, check, and re-check your gun and mags. Then practice.

ohsmily
10-15-2008, 2:50 PM
Hey, imagine that, this exact question has been asked and answered before:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=114634

My opinion is, guns are relatively simple devices. As long as you aren't an idiot and aren't under the influence of mind altering substances, mounting a bucket of sand to a concrete wall in contemplation of a negligent discharge is just plain silly. Visually and physically inspect your chamber and take the conscious step of inspecting whatever magazines and guns you will be using during the dry fire practice, that's it.

localguy
10-15-2008, 2:56 PM
Just remove the magazine, then physically and visually inspect both the chamber and the magazine well to make sure theres nothing in there.

Greg-Dawg
10-15-2008, 3:23 PM
The bucket of sand may be a good back stop, but the loud BANG will have the neighbors calling the cops.

xrMike
10-15-2008, 3:28 PM
Just remove the magazine, then physically and visually inspect both the chamber and the magazine well to make sure theres nothing in there.

Yeah, you really should do it 3 times, just to be safe. ;)

Glock_XXI
10-15-2008, 3:30 PM
If you really want to set up something and have some extra cash to burn check out these:

http://www.safedirection.com/ballisticcontainment.html

duenor
10-15-2008, 3:42 PM
Bucket of sand will do you but it has to be sand and not cat litter. also, the bucket will only stop effectively if you have a lid on the container to keep pressure down.

if you can't do that properly then take 8 white pages phone books, duct tape them together, and use that as yoru target. 3 will probably do it for any pistol round but it is best to use much more.

personally, i do not dry fire practice at all if i can help it. i dont even touch the trigger if i can help it in the house.

that is why all my handguns have decockers.

ohsmily
10-15-2008, 4:24 PM
Yeah, you really should do it 3 times, just to be safe. ;)

haha, nice.