PDA

View Full Version : how did the lake view terrace fire(s) start?

Justin562
10-14-2008, 8:50 AM
My buddy swears he heard on the news that "there is a suspision that the fire was started at a shooting range near by Tujunga Canyon ". So I've been watching the news to confirm my buddies rumor,and of course the news talks about everything but the supposed area where it started. Do you have any details
in regards... I know the angeles range was due to close for good, if a inncident like this happened
again. I feel really bad for the people lossing there homes & possesions:( that just sucks. I hope the wind stays clam.

69Mach1
10-14-2008, 8:52 AM
It started at approx. 2-3am, so I don't think so. However, it's being investigated as a suspicious fire.

Edit: I'm assuming you mean the fire was started by people shooting at the range. I thought I saw the range in some of the ariel shots, with flames approaching the sides.

jegonzo3
10-14-2008, 9:05 AM
"there is a suspision that the fire was started at a shooting range near by Tujunga Canyon ".

I think I heard that too.

Justin562
10-14-2008, 9:06 AM
It started at approx. 2-3am, so I don't think so. However, it's being investigated as a suspicious fire.

Edit: I'm assuming you mean the fire was started by people shooting at the range. I thought I saw the range in some of the ariel shots, with flames approaching the sides.

Yes I was assuming...

I thought I saw a areial shot of the range too:eek:
well that makes me feel a little better knowing it started at 2-3am.
I guess time will tell. Thanks

532Fastback
10-14-2008, 9:06 AM
illegal camp fire most likely.

Cardinal Sin
10-14-2008, 9:20 AM
You mean that someone wasn't following the law? But . . but . . . how can that be? We need to have tighter restrictions on campfires, regulation, registration of campers and fingerprint requirements for all matches, lighters, flints, etc. Matchbook capacity regulations. This cannot go unchecked. Innocent children are endangered by these "wild campfires" Next thing you know gang members will be starting campfires all over the city. Oh the humanity . . .:rolleyes:

In all seriousness though. A reporter, pfft, speculated that a spark from a vehicle or rock may have started the fire. Another said that it may have been a cigarette butt. If the fire started at 0200 then I would rule out the range as the source of the fire unless someone was up there late after hours. Hope ASR isnt involved though.

stphnman20
10-14-2008, 9:32 AM
I heard on the radio that the start of the fire is still under investigation.. I heard that it was a cigarette butt, it started from the shooting range, etc...

Our land is so dry that anything could have started the fire..

valleyguy
10-14-2008, 9:53 AM
Anybody know if the Angeles range is ok?

ojisan
10-14-2008, 11:18 AM
ASR is not being labeled as the source of this fire.
Little Tujunga Cnyn Rd is a favorite night-time dump spot for gang bangers.
But all the dirt roads accessible from LTCR have been gated and shut by the USFS in the last year except for one. This one dirt road goes behind ASR to provide earth mover access to make the berms and provide fire fighting access. Could be Bangers smoking cigarettes or burning stolen cars / bodies back on the dirt roads as they like to do. But it seems we may have an arsonist in action.

From yesterday's LA Times, who are no friends of gun owners or shooting ranges:

The Marek fire broke out in the Angeles National Forest near Little Tujunga Road, about 20 miles north of downtown Los Angeles, after 2 a.m.

The cause is unknown. Los Angeles County Fire Chief Mike Freeman discounted a rumor that the fire was sparked by gunfire from a nearby range.

Don and Vicky Ecker were among the residents who had evacuated to San Fernando High. They heard helicopters hovering nearby about 2:15 a.m. At 4 a.m., county sheriff's deputies advised them to pack up.

It was scary "because we could see those flames shooting up over the canyon," said Don Ecker, a retired Idaho police officer.

When Bill Slocum and his spouse, Brian Gavin, were awakened by their barking dog, Peyton, about 2:20 a.m., they could see a ridge of flames not far from their 12-acre property in Kagel Canyon. A couple of hours later, they grabbed a file of important papers, their two cats and Peyton and headed out.

Novadesigns
10-14-2008, 11:46 AM
Yeah, I actually heard a reporter on the KTLA morning show go out of his way to mention that people shouldn't jump to the conclusion that the range was the cause of the fire because the fire started NEAR the range but on on it. Also he mentioned that due to the time of the night it was extremely unlikely that anyone was shooting there. As far as I know, from talking to the range personnel at ASR, they don't hold any night shoots.

I hope that the range is OK and no one else gets hurt.

RELOAD243
10-15-2008, 4:20 PM
Fire started about 1/2 mile up the canyon from the range, they are still looking into the cause, until then everything is gossip...

sigsauer887
10-15-2008, 9:02 PM
Because Samuel L Jackson didn't like the fact that white boy was married to a black girl.

ysr_racer
10-15-2008, 10:06 PM
Fire map

http://www.fire.ca.gov/downloads/incidents/Marek_Fire_101408.pdf

Doheny
10-15-2008, 10:13 PM
The cause is still listed as under investigation

http://www.inciweb.org/incident/1558/

This link will pull up a google map which should be able to tell you if the ranges were impacted:

http://rmgsc.cr.usgs.gov/outgoing/GeoMAC/2008_fire_data/KMLS/CA-ANF-EM4W%20Marek%2010-15-2008%200601.kml

RELOAD243
10-18-2008, 5:04 AM
From Dailynews:

Marek fire 'vehicle related,' Forest Service says
Daily News Wire Services
Article Last Updated: 10/17/2008 01:15:29 PM PDT

LAKE VIEW TERRACE - The apparent cause of the 4,824-acre Marek fire in the Lake View Terrace area was "vehicle related," the U.S. Forest Service announced today.

The fire started early Sunday at the bottom of a small canyon about a half-mile off Little Tujunga Road near the Marek Truck Trail in the Angeles National Forest.

"Preliminary findings indicate that the cause of the Marek Fire is vehicle related," said Sherry Rollman of the Forest Service.

No further details will be released until the investigation is complete, Rollman said.

Which is about 1/2 mile more into the canyon from the ranges road.

SKULLCRUSHER
10-18-2008, 7:30 AM
Because Samuel L Jackson didn't like the fact that white boy was married to a black girl.

lol that was a good movie