View Full Version : Out of state rifle purchase...

10-03-2008, 5:25 AM
Can a California resident purchase long guns in a neighboring state? Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember something about this but I'm drawing a blank about where to check for info.

Mssr. Eleganté
10-03-2008, 6:47 AM
From 1968 to 1986 Federal law said that the only time you could buy a gun out of state was if you bought a long gun from an FFL in a neighboring State.

In 1986 the law was changed to allow the purchase of long guns from an FFL in any State, not just neighboring States.

But the law also requires that such purchases follow the laws of both the buyer's State and the selling FFL's State. California law requires most firearms purchases to be completed through a California FFL, not just any FFL. California law also requires going through the DROS process, which out of state Dealers can't do. Then there is the ten day waiting period.

So if you want to buy a long gun from an out of state FFL it has to be one of the kinds of transactions that are exempt from California's Dealer transfer requirements. So C&R long guns over 50 years old are the only thing you can really get. You could also acquire a modern long gun from a parent, grandparent, child or grandchild while out of state, as long as the transfer was processed through an out of state FFL to comply with Federal law.