PDA

View Full Version : Is MAS 49 California legal?

Monkeyfeng
07-21-2016, 12:40 PM
Is MAS 49 (not 49/56) legal in California?

Gutter
07-21-2016, 12:45 PM
The 49 is fine if it's sans grenade launcher.

Grendl
07-21-2016, 12:51 PM
So I just bought a MAS 49 (not the 49/56) on gunbroker and successfully had it shipped to California from Colorado. I have FFL03 and CA COE so it was shipped to my house.

Talking to something online right now and they say it has evil features so it is banned in California. Is this true? I thought only MAS 49/56 is banned not MAS 49.

Neither are "banned" in California. CalGunners have many.

Does it have a grenade launcher? GLs are "destructive devices" and prohibited in CA.

Does it have a flash hider? That's an "evil" feature which cannot be combined with a removable magazine.

Without either, it's perfectly okay. Perhaps your seller removed the GL and FH before shipping it and you're a-okay?

Jimja
07-21-2016, 12:51 PM
The 49 is fine since it's sans grenade launcher.

Not correct. The Mas 49 does have a grenade launcher and is NOT legal in California with it attached.

However, the good news is that it can be removed in 5 minutes with a screwdriver (doing no permanent damage to the rifle, it can easily be reattached in the future), once that is done it's perfectly legal in CA

Jimja
07-21-2016, 12:54 PM
Talking to something online right now and they say it has evil features so it is banned in California. Is this true? I thought only MAS 49/56 is banned not MAS 49.

Just to be clear, the rifle itself is not banned in California. However, the grenade launcher on it is a destructive device, that is not legal.

Remove the grenade launcher from the rifle and it's perfectly fine/legal.

They are very interesting rifles, did you get the Syrian contract version or one of the rare French ones?

Not my photos, but they'll show the GL

In this photo, the top rifle is the MAS 49 (Syrian contract with spike bayonet) showing the grenade launcher. The other rifle is a MAS 36/51

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/1394/dsc0936k.jpg

In this photo the bottom rifle is the same MAS 49

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/1480/dsc0940m.jpg

Grendl
07-21-2016, 12:54 PM
Correct, the MAS 49 was fitted with at least two different types.

Here's what Wikipedia says: "The MAS-49 built-in rifle grenade launcher was replaced by a combination compensator/rifle grenade launcher that fired NATO-standard 22mm rifle grenades."

Gutter
07-21-2016, 12:56 PM
Not correct. The Mas 49 does have a grenade launcher and is NOT legal in California with it attached.

However, the good news is that it can be removed in 5 minutes with a screwdriver (doing no permanent damage to the rifle, it can easily be reattached in the future), once that is done it's perfectly legal in CA

Right on. I was thinking it was the 49/56 that had the GL on it and not the 49. Probably got mixed up due to the Yugo SKS designations.

CALI-gula
07-22-2016, 12:17 AM
The MAS 49/56 is my favorite C&R Mil surplus after the SVT-40. Yes, even more so than a Johnson 1941, Garand, M1 Carbine, AKM, or 1903.

Monkeyfeng
07-22-2016, 9:19 AM

Thanks for the detail explanation!

Well.. The seller shipped it to me with grenade launcher still attached to it... Ugh... Am I or the seller in trouble? What should I do? Some say just ignore it.

Grendl
07-22-2016, 9:55 AM
I think you're confused.

It came off in the box.

Leave it off.

joefrank64k
07-22-2016, 10:05 AM
Something else to consider...the grenade launcher itself is a no-go in CA, even if it's removed from the rifle.

CALI-gula
07-22-2016, 9:15 PM
I think you're confused.

It came off in the box.

Leave it off.

Yep. I saw it happen.

CALI-gula
07-22-2016, 9:21 PM
Something else to consider...the grenade launcher itself is a no-go in CA, even if it's removed from the rifle.

99% of the rest of Californians, most all Law Enforcement, majority of DOJ, or even the larger percentage of gun owners could not tell you that, nor even tell you what the parts were if they saw them off the rifle, let alone on the rifle.

If you told them they were pfitzer-valve regulators for the ballast baffles on your refrigerator's propane pump, they would go "Oh... did the repair-man charge you a lot to replace them? "