PDA

View Full Version : "Altering" a RAW

Usmc0844spare
07-13-2016, 7:32 PM
Hi, when it comes time to register, I believe all that matters is the lower, correct?
How much is detailed on the form (I guess all we have to go on is the last time stuff had to be registered)?

Reason I ask is, let's say I register it and then want to change from 18" at time of registration to 16" after I register (I have a spare barrel)? Will that be a problem?

A somewhat related question would be, let's say I register and worst comes to pass and they start confiscating. Could I take whatever steps are required to no longer make it an AW, such as go featureless and make it into a fixed magazine, and avoid turning it in? Or once it's a RAW in the states eyes it is forever a RAW no matter how much you spay and neuter?

I do not consider these "work-around" questions, I think they are legit concerns of someone who wants to stay within the law.

Quiet
07-13-2016, 7:36 PM
Only firearms that meet the new definition of an assault weapon will qualify to be able to be registered as an assault weapon.

A receiver, by itself, does not meet the new definition and any attempt to register it as an assault weapon would be rejected.

It's unknown if CA DOJ will allow these new assault weapons to be de-registered if they are altered so they no longer meet the assault weapons definition.

bravofortysix
07-13-2016, 7:57 PM
I think as a whole we're trying to avoid educating the morons making these bad laws.

Librarian
07-13-2016, 10:43 PM
I think, as a whole, I'm trying to get people to wait for the required regulations before asking questions about registration.