PDA

View Full Version : ••• San Bernardino/Riverside AK Build Party #2 Oct - Mission Accomplished •••

REDHORSE
09-17-2008, 1:57 PM
We have been approached several times asking about hosting another AK BP. So, here is the next one for San Bernardino/ Riverside area.

You can see how well our first SB AK BP #1 went, by visiting the other thread here:
San Bernardino AK Build Party #1 (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=94381)

• Oct 25th-26th weekend build party
• CG.net member's 14 acre rural property in Moreno Valley (Riverside county)
• BP fee will be same as the last one.

Post here if your interested.

Post your general location, what weekend would be good for you, what tools you may have, and how many AK projects you may need to assemble yourself. Let us know if your building from a flat or a OLL receiver. Thx.

I'll post updates in this thread. If we do decided to host another AK BP, we'll start a new thread. This is just to gauge interest.

List:
• * REDHORSE - Host
• * drawn of • Armory Airbrush • (http://www.armoryairbrush.com) - Host
• * Dave & Gayl - Host & builder - 2 ea. OLL
• * GameAPBT - AK jigs & tool + press Build Expert
• * ar15barrels - refinish only (Sun)
• * Bangbangboogie - rivet 1 kit, refinish 3 kits.
• * blackberg - rivet 2 kits to semi-finished receivers
• * bigbob76 - OLL (Sun)
• * Caiman - OLL Tools & truck
• * marc4 - OLL
• * scubamark13 - 1 ea. on a partially finished flat
• * l0kster - 2 flats and 1 parts kit.

RED = attended the 1st SB AK BP
List updated to reflect attendance @ BP

Pictures start at Post #88.

45DAVID1
09-17-2008, 2:34 PM
I live in San Bernardino but don't have any receivers or anything of that sort but I'd love to hang out, watch and learn a thing or two if I can. I'd really love to build one but funds are low and will be low for a long time.

Q
09-17-2008, 2:34 PM
Interested.:) I have 1 oll & 2 flat builds.

one dremel. need to demill.
need to rivit a nds1.

flat builds
romy g
pmkms

I only have one flat right now, want to order another and get them engraved.

Flat Broke
09-17-2008, 4:25 PM
If i don't get my deal riveted up by then, I'd be interested. I'm building on an NDS3. Have everything demilled and ready to go. Would there be parking available at this party? Also, if the 14 acre deal comes through, does that open things up for test firing? If I do get my build riveted by then, I may still want to attend for parkerizing, headspace checking, and to lend a hand if needed.

Chris

REDHORSE
09-17-2008, 5:31 PM
Yea, I'll bring my park tank, burner, & park chemicals + blast cabinet.

One of my two air compressors is down, do to a leak. I may be able to fix it in time, plus Steve has his air compressor there.

The reason it's important for everyone to detail their AK projects, is so that I can better get an idea of how much equipment/tools we will need to bring in.

I don't think we'll need as much tools as we did in the 1st BP.

I'm trying to avoid driving all over SOCAL to pickup and return the large tools like I did at the last BP. That ate up a lot of gas money and time.

xxG3xx
09-17-2008, 5:35 PM
maybe next time....i dont have any money for ak parts right now

ar15barrels
09-17-2008, 6:55 PM
I could maybe come help, but I think we are trying to setup a camping trip on that weekend.

FEDUPWBS
09-17-2008, 7:00 PM
Sorry cant make this one guys.

Unfazed
09-17-2008, 7:25 PM
I'd be in. Have the majority of the tools needed but no truck to transport my press, etc. Could bring a few rivet jigs though, my modded bolt cutter rivet tool, a smaller drill press i could probably fit in my trunk in case we need an extra and a few other items. Would probably just rivet together a few of my receivers (not flat builds). Let me know what is needed.

dribbler
09-17-2008, 7:58 PM
I live in San Bernardino but don't have any receivers or anything of that sort but I'd love to hang out, watch and learn a thing or two if I can. I'd really love to build one but funds are low and will be low for a long time.

same. is alright to just go and watch?

Douglas711
09-17-2008, 8:26 PM
Hell I would buy a flat just to build it. Can we do a receiver flat build?

Oct 11th Utah CCW, Oct 18th ak build, Oct sounds like its gonna be fun

Recommendations on best place to buy the ak parts and flat?

blackberg
09-17-2008, 8:34 PM
I didnt get to finish last time,
have 2 demilled kits that need to be riveted and finished, my drill press is available and can help others as well

any weekend other than the 10th is good with me
-bb

Knauga
09-17-2008, 9:06 PM
If I can get the "Boss" to OK it, I'm definitely interested.

I have a receiver and a kit that is partially demilled. I also have a rivet kit and 922R parts.

REDHORSE
09-17-2008, 9:32 PM
I think we can handle a few observers this time out. I don't think it'll be as crowded this time out.

It was critical that the AK build experts passed their experience down to new builders, at the 1st SB AK BP. AK builders (rather than observers) would retain the knowledge better, as they would be going through the steps that were just explained by the experts. This was so that more SOCAL CG.net members gained from the experience passed on.

Now that more CG.net SOCAL members know the steps involved, observers this time won't really be an issue.

nwnguy
09-17-2008, 10:51 PM
I still have to park the 2 AKs I built from the last BP, how much would it cost to do that?

crob241
09-19-2008, 12:03 AM
I stopped by the last one for a few minutes and would like to do one for real., I have some extra parts and would like to see how many I could put together. I don`t have a press or any jigs but have a few other things that might come in handy, Put me down, I will be there, let me know whats needed and I might have it, thnx

bigbob76
09-19-2008, 4:15 AM
I would like to build one from an OLL that I have and if possible one from a flat. I could buy something that's needed to contribute to the group effort. I live in Orange County.

landbiz
09-19-2008, 8:53 AM
Now that my posting privileges have been restored, I would be interested in attending the BP. I have 3 romy kits, 1 OLL 1.0mm receiver and two OLL 1.6mm receivers. I would like to Park two of the romy's, while the third is already done.

I have a 20 gal air compressor, trigger rivet press jig, and bolt cutter rivet tool that I can bring. I can also bring some park chemicals if needed.

The 1.6mm receivers need grinding to fit. I bought a 6" grinder, NIB and I can bring if someone will show me how to size the trunnions for the two receivers.

I am in San Diego County and could be there in the early afternoon after soccer!!! Keep me posted. LB

BTW- I also have a receiver flat that I would be willing to offer as trade for ?.

bigthaiboy
09-19-2008, 12:10 PM
Hi, I would very much like to attend the BP. I have an AMD and Romie G kit to build on OL receivers plus a flat to bend. Will there be anyone there to lend their expertise on a pistol build? If so, will the barrel / gas tube need to be cut / prepped before the BP?
Thanks.

GenLee
09-19-2008, 12:31 PM
I just DROSed my NDS-3 today, I'm in San Diego but am definatly in on this. What ever weekend.

I am an AK noob, So will my NDS-3 and a parts kit w/922r compliance be all I will need?

Douglas711
09-19-2008, 12:49 PM
Best place to buy parts kits for Romy G? Actualy what is the best recevier to get and parts kits?

Thanks

ar15barrels
09-19-2008, 1:14 PM
Tip for anyone attending:

Do all your demill work ahead of time.
Any pistol barrel shortening or piston/gas tube shortening should also be done.
There will not be machine tools there for such work.
The extent of machine tools at these builds is a drill press, dremels and angle grinders.
If you need more precision that that, seek help ahead of time.

REDHORSE
09-19-2008, 6:26 PM
Alright, looks like we have enough interest for a 2nd San Bernardino AK BP. The number of people we have interested is at about the right number of people, so we're very close to the cut-off number.

Everyone from the first AK BP showed up and we didn't have a single flake. So, I seriously doubt we'll have a stand-by list.

Steve is going to discuss it with the wife and get back to me about hosting at his place again. Steve is going on a week long vacation tomorrow morning, so when I get confirmation...I'll start a new BP thread. The Oct 18th-19th date looks good for him also.

I'll post the BP details in the new thread when I create it...

DiamondCut
09-19-2008, 11:52 PM
I might be able to attend, but don't put me in line for a spot; i don't want to have it take opportunity away from someone else.

Are there any experts attending? I really think their help was almost mandatory when considering and observing the others AND myself!

I will try and keep you guys posted with my progress. I am almost ready for assembly for my builds!

drawn
09-20-2008, 7:14 AM
If i don't get my deal riveted up by then, I'd be interested. I'm building on an NDS3. Have everything demilled and ready to go. Would there be parking available at this party? Also, if the 14 acre deal comes through, does that open things up for test firing? If I do get my build riveted by then, I may still want to attend for parkerizing, headspace checking, and to lend a hand if needed.

Chris
The property isn't rural enough for test firing.

ptoguy2002
09-20-2008, 5:18 PM
Interested.

Maybe blast and park a couple HK builds.

Can bring some build tools.

marc4
09-21-2008, 11:44 AM
Can you still sign me up?
I have been sitting on a Romy kit and a receiver I bought from a member here that has been waiting for a build party to happen.
I have only hand tools like a dremel and drill for the AK and the usual small tools for the AR.

ptoguy2002
09-21-2008, 3:43 PM
If anybody is interested (and its ok with redhorse) in doing one of those HK33 or MP5 flats, I could probably bring my (bubba'd) jigs and welder for that.
Would really need to be interest for it though, cause its a lot of crap to bring.
You would also need to know how to weld.
Maybe.

REDHORSE
09-21-2008, 4:39 PM
Are there any experts attending?

I'm in contact with JustinLB & SAL. Just checking with them, to see if they are available to help out and lend a hand.

With the number of repeat AK builders from the 1st BP returning for a 2nd BP, we'll have enough people experienced to help each other out.

Will there be anyone there to lend their expertise on a pistol build? If so, will the barrel / gas tube need to be cut / prepped before the BP?
Thanks.

Yep, AK pistol conversions (barrel & gas tube) will have to be completed before the BP. We won't have a lathe or mill at the BP.

When I was speaking to SAL today, he was just finishing up another AK Pistol build.

You can PM SAL if he can do the barrel & gas tube work in time for the SB AK BP. Or you can have another vendor do the work for you...

09-21-2008, 7:28 PM
Would it be possible to do a Saiga conversion at the party? If so I would like to come.

REDHORSE
09-21-2008, 10:19 PM
Would it be possible to do a Saiga conversion at the party? If so I would like to come.

Saiga conversion mod to PG, seems to be a pretty straight forward project. Looks like you can do it without having to go to an AK BP, unless you plan to riveting a new mag catch (w/BB) and trigger guard assembly.

We will have AK trigger guard jigs and rivet tools on hand, if you want to go to the full trigger guard & mag catch 'rivet' route.

rjs3484 (http://www.youtube.com/user/rjs3484) YouTube video of a Saiga conversion seems really easy to do. He did his without re-doing the mag catch and just improvised with the trigger guard. If he only had a Dremel, his Saiga conversion would have been easier and faster. lol

If you would rather do it at an AK BP. Then your welcome to the AK BP.

We are pretty much at the max number of AK builders already.

KTGunner
09-22-2008, 2:52 AM
Just thought I'd throw it out there since you guys are having another BP. I'm selling 3 AK kits on CalGuns. One of them is demilled too. Check it out in the Firearms Accessories page. I have a flat and some other stuff there too. I'd be willing to drop the price if I could sell everything as a package to a group.

Best of luck to you. I've spend a good amount of time building stuff like this and it is very fun and satisfying.

justinLB
09-22-2008, 3:27 PM
I can probably come and help out.
If someone in the Long beach/Lakewood area is willing to carpool and has a truck that would be a big help with bringing my 10 ton press and boxes of tools/jigs.
Is this going to be a 2 day BP?

MrBurritoMan
09-23-2008, 11:36 PM
i like this build party idea; i must say i am very impressed.

while i am not really an AK person i don't discriminate, i love all firearms equally and would love to learn. unfortunately though i am out of vacation hours right now and don't have the money for parts kits.

i hope this type of thing is a trend that will continue till i can get my hands on the necessary parts. speaking of parts would it be possible to get a list of parts necessary to complete a AK receiver from a flat? i would like to start lining this one up for the near future.

i hope these parties continue for a while so i can have a turn to learn from the masters.

scubamark13
09-24-2008, 9:30 AM
I would love to come to your build party again. I still have one Romy G kit that I would like to build out of a partialy completed flat. As far as tools I have the reamers and the top rail guide. I am in the San Diego area. I hope there is still room I would really like to come and finish this rifle.

ptoguy2002
09-24-2008, 10:40 AM
i to get a list of parts necessary to complete a AK receiver from a flat?.

Simple, quick version for noob?
-Romanian # matching parts kit (preferably pre 1982 dated)
-either a complete DROS'd NDS-3 receiver (easier) or an AK-builder AKM flat to bend yourself
-set of AK builder rivits
-compliance parts - >tapco G2 trigger group (3 parts), gas piston, muzzle brake, pistol grip, stock, forestock - lots of options to choose from. You need 6 total US made compliance parts, your receiver is 1, so you need to choose 5 more.
-a Cali mag lock if you want to have evil features (pistol grip)
-Tools and/or build party to put it all together.
-read this: http://howtobuildanaktyperifle.com/

-GET YOUR PARTS KIT ASAP, THEY ARE ALMOST GONE

i hope these parties continue for a while so i can have a turn to learn from the masters.

hopefully

REDHORSE
09-24-2008, 11:27 AM
I'll have to wait until Steve returns from his vacation (this weekend). We already have more builders than we had anticipated. I'll check with Steve when he returns to see how many he will allow at the 2nd BP. We may have to downsize from the list we already have.

drawn - has interests of Hosting his very own AK BP at his friend's (Dave) 14 acre property. So, that is why he is going to be at our BP. This will give him a chance to see what is involved and also introduce him to the build experts and other builders that may be of some assistance at his BP.

So, I think there will be more BP in the San Bernardino / Riverside county areas in the future...

MrBurritoMan
09-24-2008, 6:41 PM
just another quick question, i thought pistol grips on rifles were not allowed. also just to check are folding stocks an option? i would assume they are not however i have to ask. there are lots of folding stock kits out there and i am curious to see if that is an option.

thanks guys!

Frijolito1988
09-24-2008, 6:44 PM
just another quick question, i thought pistol grips on rifles were not allowed. also just to check are folding stocks an option? i would assume they are not however i have to ask. there are lots of folding stock kits out there and i am curious to see if that is an option.

thanks guys!

You would have to use a bulletbutton or radlock in order to have a pistol grip, and if you wanna use a side folder you just got to make sure that the over all lenght of the rifle is 30 inches when in the smalles position and no less than a 16 inch barrel

since AK's are generally small if you want to have a side or under fold yo have to weld something to the rear trunion or get an extra long FAL type flash hider or muzle break

scubamark13
09-25-2008, 7:08 AM
If this build party is full, could you put me on the list for the next one I would really appreciate it.

Thanks and good luck,

Mark

eccvets
09-26-2008, 2:18 AM
same. is alright to just go and watch?

Me to me to, I'd like to come and watch and learn.

Flat Broke
09-26-2008, 8:58 AM
I'm trying to get my build riveted prior to the party. If that's the case I won't need to attend, or will only need parking, so hopefully that will open up another slot for someone else who needs it. If I get my receiver riveted up, I'll post up so that I can be taken off the list and someone else added.

Chris

GameAPBT
09-29-2008, 10:28 PM
room for one more...?

l0kster
09-30-2008, 10:49 PM
I am interested also if its not already full up.

i have a 10-ton HF press and angle grinder. 2 flats and 1 parts kit.

if there is already too many builders I can still bring my press and grinder and just observe how it is done.

REDHORSE
10-01-2008, 8:36 PM
I'm working out some kinks with this BP. I should know more at least a week from now. Steve will not be able to host this BP :(, so were looking at Plan B for now.

Looks like we may move the BP to Dave's 14 acre Moreno Valley property as a place to host this BP. But, there are a few details we still have to go over. We also need to do a walk-through @ the property to see if we need to do anything to prepare the site for the BP.

We are still shooting for an Oct 18th BP date. But, it's subject to being rescheduled.

As for how many builders we will allow at the BP, that is one of the items we have to discuss, now that we have a different location in mind and a different host.

So, I'll update the status of the BP when I have news for you guys. It may be another week before we finalize all the details. So, continue on as if we are having the BP on the 18th. There will be very short notice once we get the green light. It's all looking very good. So, pencil in the date in your calendar and be prepared.

Bangbangboogie
10-02-2008, 1:43 PM
hi, i like to join this build party.
i have a three kits to refinish (sand blast,park.) and if there is any time permitting i would like to maybe rivet one, kit.
thanks bbb

Draven
10-11-2008, 7:16 PM
heh, I could bring my airbrush and Duracoat... :)

eccvets
10-11-2008, 9:38 PM
Any updates?

REDHORSE
10-12-2008, 2:47 PM
No updates yet. With such short notice (BP is scheduled for next weekend), we may have to reschedule the BP.

We have yet had a chance to re-schedule a walk-through at the ranch. The one for last Sunday (last week) was canceled.

I can't go into details, but someone is recouping from an un-scheduled hospital stay. So, a BP at this time may not be in the best interest of the property owner.

I'll post an update when I have some news.

scubamark13
10-14-2008, 9:00 AM
Well wish then the best for me. Let us know if there are any updates!

Mark

MrBurritoMan
10-14-2008, 11:15 AM
since they will be having this thing at a ranch will it be possible for more people to attend. with the way things are looking for me i might just be able to get my parts kit and receiver blanks very soon.

im interested if any more free spots come about.

if not then i eagerly await the next BP.

rino
10-14-2008, 12:26 PM
count me in for the next one

REDHORSE
10-14-2008, 5:32 PM
Looks like this will have to be rescheduled. We have very little time until the original BP date comes around and we have yet to iron out a lot of the details.

If we can rescedule this before the 1st weekend of Novembers, we'll go for it. Any later than that, it may have to wait until February. With all the family Holidays coming up. We're still trying for the Morneo Valley ranch for this BP.

I have another CG.net member thinking about offering his property for a build party.

He has a home & shop set out on his property and has many of the AK tools/jigs & refinishing (Parkerizing) already there. He is surrounded by BLM land, and he does shoot his ARs and stuff on his land. He is really out in the boonies, he takes two dirt roads to get to his home. He is out by 29 Palms in San Bernardino county. Mile and miles away from the nearest neighbor. It definitely would make for an interesting BP. More of an overnight camping/ BP trip since it's so far from most of us.

He and I just talked about it a little today. We need to talk about it some more to see it would work out.

scubamark13
10-15-2008, 6:50 AM
November 1st works for me. How is the person in the hospital? Keep us posted!

Thanks,

Knauga
10-15-2008, 8:00 AM
Feb takes me past the busy time at work. Thanks for keeping us updated!

Q
10-17-2008, 12:39 AM
I'll be busy til the end of the month, couldn't spare enough funds for a polish flat, that and funds for engraving. February is fine with me, I'm not very prepared at this time. I don't want to build my flat with hand stamped info, so if I can't get the other flat and them engraved in time, I'll just rivit a kit to my nds-1.

REDHORSE
10-19-2008, 9:18 AM
I'm counting the chickens before they hatch. But, to give you as much time to pencil this into your schedules. Looks like this next weekend will be a 'GO'!

I'm going to the Ranch this afternoon to finalize the AK BP details. I should have the final say from the Ranch owner this Sunday evening.

So, it'll be a busy week for Drew & myself to prepare the site for the BP.

I'll need the builders that are joining us to answer the PMs & email ASAP. So, I have a good idea of who is coming, what their flat/NDS & # of AK projects they plan to work on, what AK tools/jigs and power tools they plan on bringing (mini-drill press, spot welders, hydraulic presses, AK flat bending jig, various AK types of riveting tools).

Since, the BP date has been postponed a week. I don't know where we stand for a head count. So, if you know for sure you'll be attending next week's AK BP. PM me ASAP and I'll put a star by your name. The names I currently have on the list get first crack. Any new comers to the BP will added to the bottom of the list. I don't know yet where we are going to have a cut-off... I should find out when I return from the Ranch latter this afternoon.

scubamark13
10-19-2008, 9:25 AM
I would still like to come! PM sent!

Thanks,

ptoguy2002
10-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Can't make that date.

nwnguy
10-19-2008, 1:53 PM
Can't make the date either. :(

REDHORSE
10-19-2008, 3:23 PM
Ok, just got back from the Ranch. It's going to work out very well. Drew & Dave are going to work this week to prep the work areas.

We will have a general build area & a separate refinishing area (media blasting & Parkerizing).

I'm going to organize the builders & experts, and making sure we will have the tools and jigs. So, much to do this week.

So it is a "GO" for next weekend.

Noob builders, please read the rules & tips from the 1st AK BP. The link to the other thread is in the OP.

So to those guys doing this AK BP thing for the first time. This is a DO IT YOURSELF AKM build party. You and only you will be doing the assembly process.

We will have people show you how to use the tools and answer any questions that you may have. No one is going to build it for you! You have to build it yourself.

Do as much de-milling as possible, before going to the BP. Grind out those rivet heads (6X front trunnion, ~2X rear trunnion, 5X trigger guard).

Some of those short rivets can be punched out with a properly sized drift punch and hammer. For the rear trunnion, if you have access to a drill press... carefully center punch the center of the long rivets. Carefully drill out as much of the rivet as you can with progressively larger drill bits. Until most of it is nearly done. If you do this, you'll be ahead at the BP.

The daylight hours are much shorter this time of year. So the build day is shorter than at the last BP I hosted.

For the average builder:
• Demilling, bending a flat, and assembly will take you about a full day at a BP. If your quick enough, you might be able to refinish the kit.

• Demilling and assembling on an NDS receiver should take you about ½-¾ day at a BP. You should have plenty of time to refinish the whole kit, if you desire.

• If you de-mill the kit before the BP, you can expect to double the above.

MrBurritoMan
10-20-2008, 12:24 AM
well, i want to come however i would just be wasted space as i cannot get my parts kit just yet (out of money :().

when will the next party come around?

i am eager to absorb as much knowledge as possible at one of these parties. would it be possible to make a list for the next party? hopefully these types of events continue for many more years.

please post lots of pictures from the party (within reason of course ;)).

REDHORSE
10-20-2008, 1:22 AM
I've been deleting names off the list, as members reply to my PM or if they post here that they can't attend this BP.

The list is thinning out and it doesn't look to be as crowded as it did before. So, if your have a project and would like to attend this BP. I'm adding names to the list, only if your ready to attend this coming weekend's BP.

As for the observers, I'll have a better idea after a few more days. After we get a final head count of builders & refinishers.

As for the next BP, we briefly talked about it yesterday. I'll post info about it, after this BP has concluded. It would be in the first ¼ of 2009.

MrBurritoMan
10-20-2008, 1:39 AM
the 1st quarter of 2009 sounds really good to me. i should be able to purchase an AK parts kit and all the necessary bits by then.

put me down for the next one :).

scubamark13
10-20-2008, 1:06 PM
Is there a hotel near by in case we need to stay for day 2?

REDHORSE
10-20-2008, 1:44 PM
Is there a hotel near by in case we need to stay for day 2?

It's real close to the 215 & 91 fwy interchanges, off the 60 fwy. So there should be plenty of hotels/ motels nearby.

University of California Riverside is close by.

It's not really in the boonies. It's just on the outskirts of the big track homes, near the top of one of the hills.

REDHORSE
10-20-2008, 2:43 PM
Parkerizing

For you guys that are refinishing. Try to throughly degrease and clean the parts kits before coming to the BP. That will save you time at the BP to do other stuff.

You may want to bring:

A decent particulate dust mask
goggles
ball cap/ hat
Gun Scrubber or a can or two of cheap brake cleaner (Non chlorinated) for decreasing the parts.
some lubricant: Break Free, Remington oil, WD-40
Paper towel roll, shop rags.
If you can pre-blast them before the BP, if you have access to a media blaster. You can re-hit the parts at the BP, just before you Parkerize them.

Some advice. After you get everything riveted to the receiver. I suggest you media blast the receiver assembly & barrel assembly separately.

They will fit in the cabinets & be easier to blast in the cabinets, before the barrel is pressed back onto the receiver. You can do a final light media blast after the barrel is pressed back in, just before Parkerizing them.

Everyone please don't forget to bring eye & hearing protection! Should also bring some sturdy working gloves.

Start putting everything you need in a box NOW. Don't wait until the last minute, you will forget something.

bigbob76
10-21-2008, 3:53 PM
Due to the new date I can only make it on Sunday, is that acceptable? I have two NDS receivers and parts kits. I only have tools like Dremel, drill, hammer, punch etc. but I have the rivets sets.

REDHORSE
10-21-2008, 4:08 PM
Due to the new date I can only make it on Sunday, is that acceptable? I have two NDS receivers and parts kits. I only have tools like Dremel, drill, hammer, punch etc. but I have the rivets sets.

Sure thats fine, I've got a couple other Sunday only builders.

ar15barrels
10-21-2008, 4:11 PM
Sunday only here too.

Peace Sells?
10-21-2008, 8:42 PM
If it is not too much trouble, I would like to be on the list for the 2nd build party which will take place sometime next year. I have an AMD-65 barrel less kit and a Romy G. Would have like to be in on this one, but Cope's hasn't gotten the barrels in yet. Good Luck to those that are going!!:rockon:

DiamondCut
10-22-2008, 9:58 PM
good luck and have fun people!

wish i could be there!

Q
10-23-2008, 2:28 AM
I won't be able to attend this weekend, Nov 1st or later is best for me. I'll have to miss this one.:(

Chaingun
10-23-2008, 11:35 AM
I'll have to consider next year's build party.

REDHORSE
10-23-2008, 1:42 PM
Well, it's going to turn out as a small BP. But, that is OK. At least some of us will get to finish our projects this weekend.

justinlb - has to work this weekend so I have GameAPBT to fill in his shoes as a build expert to help us out. I've got two set (to build an AKM project from A to Z) coming to there party. Redundancy, just in case one set doesn't make it to the BP.

I'm going to send out the directions to the BP today, to those who have confirmed with me that they are coming (* next to the names). If you don't get the final instructions and directions PM me.

This BP is going forward! :56::22::gunsmilie:

GameAPBT
10-23-2008, 3:14 PM
how many ppl do we have so far?

REDHORSE
10-23-2008, 3:18 PM
10 that have confirmed with me. Looks like only a few building from flats, so it looks like an easy BP.

If anyone else wants to come to the BP, we have plenty of space now. Just PM me and I'll send the directions out.

GameAPBT
10-23-2008, 3:19 PM
If anyone wants to carpool with me. PM me. I'm heading out from Pasadena

GameAPBT
10-23-2008, 3:22 PM
i have flat jig, Trigger guard jig, barrel pin removal jig, Rivet tools (front and rear) 12 ton press, angle grinder and spot welder. We might need files and drill bits.

scubamark13
10-23-2008, 3:44 PM
I am in for Saturday and Sunday if I don't finish Saturday

REDHORSE
10-23-2008, 5:04 PM
Alright guys, I sent detailed Directions via PM. It has pretty pictures, so you guys shouldn't get lost. :p

Print a copy of the directions and bring it with you. My first time out there, I got a little lost going there from memory. I was real close, I just missed the RGL street.

So, if you didn't get the Directions, let me know and I'll send it to ya.

I forgot to state the time at on my last PM.

BP starts at 8AM until ½ hour before it gets dark.

The last ½ hr of day light to clean up.

Try to show up as early as possible, so you have plenty of time to work on your project. If you show up a little early Drew and Dave should already be there.

If you get there a little late and the gate(s) are closed, call me on the cell phone (included in my PMs) and I'll run down to unlock the gates. We don't want you opening any gates, just in case your at the wrong property. :61::eek:

later...

scubamark13
10-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Will we be working under cover or out in the open? I can bring an ezup if needed.

REDHORSE
10-24-2008, 1:22 PM
We have several ez-ups (10X10s and some larger ones), I think he said he was bringing 6 over to the ranch now. Drew is setting them up.

We have camouflage netting also ready to go, if we need more shading. Main work area is the open side patio by the house. Trees by the work area too.

There is a ez-up also by the media blast area.

REDHORSE
10-25-2008, 7:16 PM
Pictures from Sat morning's AK BP. After setting up the tools and before most of the builders arrived. Your seeing about a third of the general build area. I didn't take pics of the refinishing/parkerize area.

I forgot my camera, so these are cell phone pics. Other builders had their digital cameras, so maybe they'll posts their pics. When it gets too busy, I don't get a chance to take pics.

Demilling table (right table with three mini-drill presses). Up to the left GameAPBT helping scubamark13 rivet his flat.
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/5529/photo0034kg1.th.jpg (http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo0034kg1.jpg) http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/8123/photo0035lh3.th.jpg (http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo0035lh3.jpg) http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/9305/photo0036pi3.th.jpg (http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo0036pi3.jpg) http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4431/photo0037fv6.th.jpg (http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo0037fv6.jpg)

12 & 20 ton hydraulic presses. Riveting trigger guard and mag catch.
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/6402/photo0038ev0.th.jpg (http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo0038ev0.jpg) http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/898/photo0049gy9.th.jpg (http://img260.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo0049gy9.jpg)

REDHORSE
10-25-2008, 7:22 PM
scubamark13 is the first builder to complete his AK project. From a flat, to riveting his 74 parts kit together, to media blasting and complete Parkerizing + a custom CNC'd non-pg. :) Functioned & cycled just fine, hope to see a range report soon. :cool:

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/7854/photo0051zl6.jpg

GameAPBT
10-25-2008, 9:24 PM
http://picasaweb.google.com/tonyhnguyen/AKBuildParty#

Hopi
10-25-2008, 9:28 PM
Nice job guys!

MrBurritoMan
10-26-2008, 12:04 AM
im incredibly jealous of those who got to attend. i hope that we can have another party soon when i have some money and a parts kit or two. :)

scubamark13
10-27-2008, 7:00 AM
This was a great build party! It was nice to meet the new guys and see some familiar faces again. Thanks to Redhorse and the other hosts for putting this on and thanks to GameAPBT for letting us use his tools and helping everyone with there builds. Keep me posted on future build parties.

scubamark13
10-27-2008, 3:33 PM
Here are the pics of the rifles I built at the build parties. The top rifle was built at the first BP and the bottom one was built this last weekend. They were both built with Romy G kits from a flat. I still need to refinish the wood on the one but over all I am happy with the builds. Thanks again to Redhorse for setting up the party.
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa62/scubamark13/Gun%20Stuff/bp-aks.jpg

JeffM
10-27-2008, 5:02 PM
Looks awesome guys. Looks like you've got it dialed in for BP logistics and getting er done!

Need more pics of the products, and a write up/lessons learned. What was most helpful in planning? What would you have done differently? Any unexpected snags?

REDHORSE
10-27-2008, 5:42 PM
Looks awesome guys. Looks like you've got it dialed in for BP logistics and getting er done!

Need more pics of the products, and a write up/lessons learned. What was most helpful in planning? What would you have done differently? Any unexpected snags?

Yea, I keep telling these guys to posts pics, but they always want to do something else to it, before posting it on the forums. Which most end up not posting anyways. :p As if they're embarrassed, but, they were all great looking firearms, even with trigger parts missing, etc. Either they left @ home or still needed to buy parts to finish their project, or they want to re-finish the stocks set before posting a pic on the thread.

We had a lot of finished AK projects on Sunday. 5 more Parkerized Romy Gs, two shotguns, Dawoo, AR barrels, etc..

We had a missing barrel jigs (forgot it at home), but we improvised and learned new tricks that worked just as good or better than the jigs we normally have.

• For pressing out barrels: We used some steel bar stock to support the front trunnion. Then used the smaller of the two sections of the hydraulic jack handle to press the barrels out of the trunnion using pennies to protect barrel chamber area. Worked very well and it didn't do a single thing to the smaller jack handle. One less jig for someone to buy.

• For pressing the barrels in. I used the lower half of my Casey FAL receiver wrench to provide support to the trunnion (going through magwell. Supported by the steel bar stocks on the press. Then putting pennies on the muzzle to press the barrels in. Worked great! Worked fine for both the AKM 74s & AKM 47s trunnions.

• When pressing barrels in and we find out that if they are slightly askew as we're driving them into the trunnion. We will use a rubber/plastic mallet and tap the rear sight block (near the rear leaf sight) as another person slowly pumped the hydraulic jack. The barrel will twist in the right direction of the tapping to center it, when the barrel was slowly driven in and with one of us tapping the barrel rear sight post with the mallet. We perfectly re-aligned the barrel to the trunnion on three builds like this. Instead of driving the barrel out and restarting from scratch.

• I made a couple slave pins for assembling the fire control parts (for the AK bull-pump conversion kit that someone was working on and the mag lever and spring. That mag lever and spring is such a pain in the arse!

JeffM
10-27-2008, 5:48 PM
We had a lot of finished AK projects on Sunday. 5 more Parkerized Romy Gs, two shotguns, Dawoo, AR barrels, etc..

Sounds great! We need those pics guys!

Details on the shotguns/ARs, and especially the Daewoo are needed as well.

REDHORSE
10-27-2008, 6:50 PM
Sounds great! We need those pics guys!

Shotguns were a Remington 870 (tricked out HD with PG/top folding stock, ext mag tube, heat shield) fully blasted and refinished went home with builder. His other shotty was a Mossberg 590 HD type. Completely refinished but the receiver. Receiver was aluminum, so Drawn (Drew) is going to duraCoat it for him.

Daewoo & AR barrels were custom barrels. Daewoo barrel was very custom with a unique design/style/feature. Just look at the builders list and I bet you can guess who they belonged to.

---------------------

Here was our power distribution box. Wired to the home owners main power box & circuit breakers for the BP. We didn't have a lack of outlets or power (24 outlets) + extension cords. Nice to have an electrician involved in the BP.
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/8257/octbp001bgy1.th.jpg (http://img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=octbp001bgy1.jpg)

We had three SS Parkerizing tanks & burners. We only used two of them. Tank #1 had Zinc Parkerizing (Lauer), Tank #2 had Manganese Parkerizing (Brownells)... I also had another batch of Zinc Park (Brownells) in my truck bed if we needed it.

Drawn had his larger blast cabinet with aluminum oxide as the media & a large industrial air compressor with a three air hose splitter there for the BP.

My smaller blast cabinet sat in the bed of my truck if we needed it. I probably should have set it up, as we had a short line of people waiting to use the blast cabinet.

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/7563/octbp003bst7.th.jpg (http://img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=octbp003bst7.jpg) http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/4825/octbp004bmi9.th.jpg (http://img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=octbp004bmi9.jpg) http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/3935/octbp005bfj0.th.jpg (http://img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=octbp005bfj0.jpg)
^ BEFORE pic (in degreasing pan)...

A happy builder, wiping off the excess oil, getting ready to do final assembly. This is the same kit that was in the degreasing pan above. We had to leave the wood on the upper handguard/gas tube, because it had several deep cracks in the wood lengthwise. I figured if we had attempted to twist the wood off, that it would fall apart in several pieces. So, the wood was just masked off for media blasting and also when we Parkerized it.

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/276/octbp008mu8.th.jpg (http://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=octbp008mu8.jpg) http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/7840/octbp007nz4.th.jpg (http://img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=octbp007nz4.jpg)
^ AFTER pic .........................................

REDHORSE
10-27-2008, 7:25 PM
I didn't take pics of the improvised barrel removal setup we used. You should be able to visualize it from the description I gave earlier.

For the barrel installation. I used the bottom half of my Casey Elliot FAL receiver wrench that was in my gunsmithing tool box. I'll post pics of it later... when I get my garage re-organized.

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/3739/octbp010qu7.th.jpg (http://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=octbp010qu7.jpg) http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/659/octbp009tu6.th.jpg (http://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=octbp009tu6.jpg) http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/1020/octbp011kx0.th.jpg (http://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=octbp011kx0.jpg)

Other lessons/tips learned:

• Media blast your AK project with the barrel not yet installed onto the front trunnion. Barrel and receiver are easier to blast when they are separate units. Easier to move the parts around to get to the nooks and crannies. Plus, it's not as heavy for a single hand to hold, while you use the blast gun with your other hand.

We had some builders do this at the first BP, but most didn't. This time out, we had all the builders do it this way.

• Don't buy bottled drink water for a BP. I learned that lesson at the 1st BP I hosted. People will open a bottle & take a few sips then place them onto the work tables. Eventually there will be a half dozen to a dozen partially drunk water bottles on the work benches, because no one knows whos water bottle belong to which builder. No one dare drinks from an unknown bottle fearing of getting cooties from someone else's bottle. lol

Forget about having them label their bottles...no one ever does it.

Those 5 gallon water carriers filled with ice & drinking water or a office water cooler work better for a BP.

Have smaller drinking cups, as the same thing will happen with the water bottles. You end up with a dozens of unmarked cups all over the place. I had large drinking cups at the 1st BP, the smaller cups were better this time out. Less waste.

Don't leave a huge stack of clear plastic cups out in the sun. I had two new stacks of plastic cups sitting out in the sun and they melted and deformed.

• The house bathroom we had access to from an outside door had a nice stack of white motel like towels that looked brand new, beside the decorative ones hanging on the racks (we all know too well, to never touch). I thought they were there as a set up/trap. lol

Of course no one touched the white towels on the first BP day. The host forgot to mention that the white towels were there for us to use. We were allowed to used them. They got used up the 2nd day.

ar15barrels
10-27-2008, 7:48 PM

The Daewoo barrel was something I am doing for a customer.
Started out as a stock DR200.
I think it's 20" or at least 19" long as they came from Daeoo.
He wanted it to be minimum length including a permanent muzzle brake.
I cut the barrel to about 15" long and will be permanent attaching an AK looking brake to it.
In order to keep the gun functioning, the barrel will slide up inside the brake about 1.5" or so, but it looks like it has a 13" barrel.

JeffM
10-27-2008, 9:43 PM
The Daewoo barrel was something I am doing for a customer.
Started out as a stock DR200.
I think it's 20" or at least 19" long as they came from Daeoo.
He wanted it to be minimum length including a permanent muzzle brake.
I cut the barrel to about 15" long and will be permanent attaching an AK looking brake to it.
In order to keep the gun functioning, the barrel will slide up inside the brake about 1.5" or so, but it looks like it has a 13" barrel.

I'd love to see pics of how it turned out, and maybe a range report of how it functions, accuracy, etc.

I've been thinking about doing something similar to my DR200.

More projects than money at this point however :(

bigbob76
10-27-2008, 9:49 PM
I really appreciate the work that Redhorse, Drawn, and anybody else behind the scenes that I don't know about did to make this happen. I'm so happy I had this opportunity to meet you guys and benefit from your experience. I'm probably going to purchase a few little things to get myself better prepared for the next time. Redhorse stuck with me until I had a rifle assembled for the most part and then I got the bright idea to add a maglock without reading the instructions! I was tired and already brain dead, it would have been better to stop and work on it another day. I still haven't got the mag release assembly back together yet, it's a real challenge. I'm new to AK's but one thing is for sure, I've been bitten by the AK bug and can't wait to finish this one and do many more. I hope I get to participate in another BP with all you guys.

ar15barrels
10-27-2008, 10:13 PM
I'd love to see pics of how it turned out, and maybe a range report of how it functions, accuracy, etc.

Bump this thread tomorrow around 6pm and I should be able to post some pictures from when I am putting the upper back together.

I won't be test firing, but I'm sure the owner can report back as he's a calgunner up in the bay area.

drawn
10-28-2008, 7:50 AM
Dave (my FFL partner) and I were very pleased with how this build party turned out, So much so that we've agreed we should Co-host another one with REDHORSE!!! We apologize for the unavoidable date change that led to some of you not being able to make it. Look for REDHORSE to announce a date after the first of the year.

Everyone was incredibly helpful towards each other lending a hand or advice when needed with a polite and respectful attitude. Builders kept extremely focused on their projects but always took the time to applaud each others work.

One of the many things I learned is that patience is key! Each step in this process has dynamics that change slightly from build to build. When demilling, some rivet heads grind off and pop right out but most need to be progressively drilled out. I'm sure this process is detailed somewhere but starting with a punch and than progressively increasing the bit size and frequently stopping to oil the bit takes quite a bit of time and really shouldn't be rushed. I believe this is why it is advised to demil your parts kits before the party. This process is certainly easier with an angle or bench grinder and drill press but a simple center punch, electric drill and good set of bits would certainly suffice. The point is having this done before the party will avail you to not feel so rushed to get demilled and on to the actual build.

It was a pleasure to meet all who attended and we look forward to meeting more of you in the future. A big thanks to Calguns, master builders and REDHORSE's unwavering commitment to making this party a success!

blackberg
10-31-2008, 9:31 AM
Here is one of mine from the build party.
Featuring a working Romy Side Folding stock with a receiver extension, bringing the closed OAL to 30.7". It also has an OG morepoop4u mag lock and a 10/30 lever mag, will get a BB eventually.

I have to redo the wood on the other one.

-blackberg

open
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/9392/ak8132hn8.jpg

closed
http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/8459/ak8130sh9.jpg

scubamark13
10-31-2008, 9:37 AM
Looks good nice work. Have you shot it yet? I am going to take mine out this weekend I can't wait to see how it shoots.

blackberg
10-31-2008, 10:20 AM
Not yet, I have to make my November reservation at Burro still.

I somehow lost the rear sight spring on that one on the way back, and the barrel pin on my other one is loose.

Oh and buy some range OK ammo, I have some Brown Bear waiting for the rains...
-blackberg

FastFinger
10-31-2008, 3:19 PM
Well - I finally managed to get me a AK kit. So any idea when we can have another BP? I'll bring the nice white towels for the bathroom!

REDHORSE
10-31-2008, 3:36 PM
I didn't get a change to THANK the HOSTS & builders yet.

Big thanks to Dave & Gayl for allowing us to use their property for the AK BP. Now that they finally got their parts that were on order, we will be able to finish their builds at the next BP.

Big thanks to Drew for setting up the table, ez-ups, electrical needs, and helping out all the builders with their refinishing.

I helped Drew store and clean up the build area on Monday. You don't realize how heavy and how much work was involved. We were sweating our asses off, should have broken down the facilities during the cooler part of the day, but I wanted to sleep in. lol Drew did all the setup on Fri & Sat, with help from Dave too.

Big thanks to Tony for bringing all his AK tools & jigs and for helping out the builders on Saturday.

Big thanks to Robert and the other builders who brought their tools.

Thanks for coming guys! Great bunch of guys. Everyone giving a helping hand to the other builders and even giving out spare parts, when someone goofed or was missing parts. Everyone was fine with sharing their tools.

I have a truckload of tools to return, and I just got to coordinate with the tool owners to return their tools this weekend.

REDHORSE
10-31-2008, 3:55 PM
Great looking side folder there blackberg! :cool:

We should have a spring shoot after BP #3 at Burro Canyon range. :73:

----------------------------

AK BP #3 will be during the early part of the 1st qtr of next year.

I will open a new thread at least 4-6 week prior to BP #3. Going to be a gamble to schedule the next one. Weather is unpredictable and we will try to pick a dry weekend.

We will limit the # of builders to about ~20.

Going to try to have enough Expert and Novice builders to come out to work one their projects and to help out the noobs. We will try and maintain a good ratio of noob buidlers to expert/novice builders.

I won't take any names down for a list, until I start the next thread and when we have a date for the next BP.

So, make sure you have all your parts for your build project by the end of January. BP #3 will be after Jan.

scubamark13
11-03-2008, 6:50 AM
Well, I shot my newly built rifle this weekend and it functioned flawlessly. Thanks again to everyone that made this build party happen.

Redhorse keep me posted on what we disscussed at the build party.

Mark

REDHORSE
11-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Yea, Tony and I talked about it yesterday at his place some more, after I dropped off his tools. I'll group PM the builders that were interested, when I have an update or plan in place.

Q
11-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Looks like it was a great build party, wish I could have made it! Those projects turned out nice.. Hope to start on some of mine next time. keep me posted.:)

bigbob76
11-16-2008, 9:40 PM
This is the build I did at the party. I finally completed the installation of the refinished furniture, Raddlock, and Tapco trigger group. Range testing was the best part, over 100 rounds without a glitch. I lost count as I also shot some other rifles. I learned a lot at the party from Redhorse and Drawn and look forward to the next build. I'd like to get in touch with Drawn regarding having some Duracoat applied on another build I'm about to start. Let's get going on another build party!
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj29/bigbob76/P1010001.jpg

GameAPBT
11-16-2008, 10:39 PM
Nice!

bedan86
11-17-2008, 12:55 AM
Hi Redhorse,
I am a new member, I just want to get more info on how I can join the AK Build Party. I have 2 kits and 2 receivers from nodak spud, no tools and absolutely no skills. Pls. let me know if experience is a must and the cost.
Thanks,
Bedan86

scubamark13
11-17-2008, 6:57 AM
Looks great. Congrats

Flat Broke
11-17-2008, 8:02 AM
This is the build I did at the party. I finally completed the installation of the refinished furniture, Raddlock, and Tapco trigger group...

Nice lookin rifle!!!

Chris

REDHORSE
11-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Nice looking Romy you got there bigbob76. :) Congrats on getting that mag lock installed.

Drew's contact info: drew@armoryairbrush.com (drew@armoryairbrush.com)
www.ArmoryAirbrush.com (http://www.armoryairbrush.com/)

bedan86
11-19-2008, 8:50 AM
Hi Bigbob76,
How did you get that wood to shine? Really look good!

bigbob76
12-05-2008, 4:42 PM
I think the shiny wood is more a result of my lack of experience with photography.

REDHORSE
12-05-2008, 4:51 PM
Tung Oil will do that too.

Stain wood to desirable color.
Easy to apply to. Rub tung oil over furniture/stock, let it dry.
Then steel wool the stock smooth.
Clean surface and apply another coat of tung oil.
Repeat process until desirable finish is attained. Don't steel wool the final application.

After like a dozen coats, it'll look like glass and have a deep 3D look to the wood grain.