PDA

View Full Version : Dazed and confused noob

JTecalo
09-11-2008, 8:58 PM
Another Kalifornia noob checking in.

Just trying to get started with some shooting fun again after many years away from it.

I'll be trying to figure what's legal to buy, if there is such a thing, so I may ask a few fng (foolish new guy) questions.

Thanks,
JT

69Mach1
09-11-2008, 9:04 PM
Welcome. Hopefully we can bring you some clarity.

JTecalo
09-11-2008, 9:26 PM
I hope so, I'm kinda old and was hoping I would figure it out while I can still see down range.

I was told the Browning Hi Power 9mm (1970's era) I was looking at was not legal, so I'll be looking to find out info on what the cutoff year is and start looking for that year model.

thanks again,
JT

ivanimal
09-11-2008, 11:24 PM
They are legal you just have to find one in a gun store on consignment. Not that hard really.

JTecalo
09-12-2008, 6:50 AM
Thanks Ivanimal, maybe the local ffl gunshop just wanted me to purchase something from them.

I know this is for introductions so I'll ask any other questions in the appropriate area.

I am looking forward to doing some shooting again and have always liked the Hi Power.

25-30 years back I had a Dan Wesson model 15 357 and loved it. When I moved to Calif in 85 I was told horror stories about how my pistol would be taken and all kind of registration stuff, so I sold it. As the years went by I learned that some of the stuff I was told was just uninformed Bull.

That's why I think this forum is great, someplace that's trying to give out correct info.

Jim

USN CHIEF
09-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Well, you definitely came to the right place to learn about what is legal and not legal here in CA. What part of CA are you in North/Central/South?

Guntech
09-12-2008, 10:55 AM
If its at the gun store its legal..the 1970's Hi-powers are legal..I have one..they are alright, ugly imo ...oh and Welcome.

JTecalo
09-12-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm just a bit south of San Jose.

The Hi power I was looking a was priv party, maybe that's why the FFL dealer told me it was illegal.

I used to do a lot of shooting and hunting when I lived in Nebraska. They didn't seem to care what firearms we had as long as we didn't shoot each other unless absolutely necessary.

When I was Freshman in H.S. here in Cali I built a 257 roberts rifle. Bought a 98 mauser for the action and got a barrel blank and started turning it on the lathe. Bored it for the chamber etc, crowned it, whole 9 yards.

Cut and reshaped the bolt and hot blued the whole rifle. Reworked the wood and glass bedded it and fitted a scope. I was 14 and never fired a gun in my life.

The real amazing thing was when I finished the gun, the shop teacher test fired it for me and then handed me the rifle and a handful of shells and told me to take straight to my locker... across campus (1964).

SO I walk clear across campus with a scoped rifle slung over my shoulder and no one even blinked... probably people are trying to figure how they could still arrest me for that.

Those days are gone I think.

Jim

ke6guj
09-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Hi-powers are legal as long as they are not in a pistol AW configuration. If buying a HP from a dealer's inventory, it must be listed on the Roster as a "not unsafe handgun". If buying from a private party, it does not matter if it is on the Roster or not, you just have to do a PPT transfer at a dealer when you buy it.

One thing to mention, any magazines that you may get from the seller would need to be no more than ten rounds. Original capacity HP mags are around 12 rounds, IIRC, so make sure you don't get any when buying it.

aplinker
09-12-2008, 1:52 PM
Hi-powers are legal as long as they are not in a pistol AW configuration. If buying a HP from a dealer's inventory, it must be listed on the Roster as a "not unsafe handgun". If buying from a private party, it does not matter if it is on the Roster or not, you just have to do a PPT transfer at a dealer when you buy it.

One thing to mention, any magazines that you may get from the seller would need to be no more than ten rounds. Original capacity HP mags are around 12 rounds, IIRC, so make sure you don't get any when buying it.

Let's not actually consider that the "list" determines whether a gun is safe. As far as I know no gun has been rejected as unsafe.

It's a certification program. No more, no less.

ke6guj
09-12-2008, 2:31 PM
This is what I was referring to.

12131. (a) On and after January 1, 2001, the Department of Justice shall compile, publish, and thereafter maintain a roster listing all of the pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person that have been tested by a certified testing laboratory, have been determined not to be unsafe handguns, and may be sold in this state pursuant to this title. The roster shall list, for each firearm, the manufacturer, model number, and model name.

JTecalo
09-12-2008, 5:38 PM
Thanks guys for the info, I was aware of the Mag cap of 10 rnds, this one is ok in that regard.

I think I'll find a different ffl and see if they are able to make this happen. maybe try the bay area.

now to read up on building a cal legal ar/ak

Thanks for the help,
Jim

JTecalo
09-14-2008, 4:25 PM
You guys were right, that BHP I'm looking at is legal to sell/buy.

I stopped at Bay Area Gun Vault today and spoke with Eric. He not only said it was legal but has some for sale in the shop.

He will help me with the transfer paper work etc. Very friendly.

Don't know what happened with the shop/range closer to me, may have been a misunderstanding on my part.

nice to be able to get good info from friendly people.

Jim