PDA

View Full Version : Springfield XDS Feedback.

DArBad
03-10-2016, 10:04 AM
Guys,
I am getting interested in the XDS line. Prefer one in .45 acp full size. To those that own one, kindly give me your experience with this gun.
If I were to buy one, I'd like to be able to do a detail disassembly to clean all the nooks and crannies. Is it more complicated than a Glock?

I've had a Glock 21 few years ago, and I enjoyed detail stripping the piece. I had to sell the that gun away. Now I want to own another polymer gun.

Thanks.

v.kevin
03-10-2016, 10:21 AM
I have the XDs 3.3" in 9mm. I bought it in Dec. 2014 and have shot about 2,000 rounds through it. It's my EDC. I've never done a detailed strip. It's very easy to field strip. You can see videos on Youtube. The only thing I've done besides a field strip was remove the firing pin to clean the channel and it was very easy.

I'm a little confused by your use of "full size" since the XDs are single stack sub-compact in either 3.3" or 4" barrels.

Great gun.

Davinho
03-10-2016, 10:23 AM
By full size XDS I'm assuming you mean the 4inch barrel instead of the 3.3?

I got the .45ACP 4.0 some months back as I was worried about recoil in a .45 that small. But while it is stout, it's not a problem if you have a proper grip. And the longer sight radius is nice. The grip texture is a bit hard on bare hands, but some rubber grip covers take care of that nicely. I haven't shot any hollow points through it yet, but it's been perfectly reliable with a variety of hardball, including some home rolled reloads of less than top quality. The Glock style trigger system is not the greatest in terms of trigger feel, but it does work. I have yet to detail strip it and polish the workings, so doubtless it can be improved, but it looks like a slight variation on the Glock system with a grip safety added. Overall, while it isn't fun to shoot, it's slim, reliable, and powerful. All good things in a concealed carry gun. If I had to do it again, I'd go with the 3.3, as recoil isn't a problem, and the holster market seems to be focused on the shorter barrel.

BlackonBlack
03-10-2016, 10:28 AM
I have a bi-tone xds 3.3 9mm and I absolutely love it. Its increadibly accurate and I've yet to have 1 failure with it. It's also my primary carry gun. It's probably one of the best made handguns I've seen and easily one of the best CCW handguns you can find. It is a TAD heavy compared to other single stackers and some people don't care for the grip. Personally i like the grip and heft.

Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm is also a great CCW pistol and significantly cheaper (on list)

nedro
03-10-2016, 10:31 AM
I own an XDS 3.3 .45ACP.
They are prone to go out of battery when holstering them. The slide goes back about an 1/8 of an inch and does not return on its own.
Springfield think they are the democratic national party. They will not sell you parts for your own safety.
They will not sell parts to your gunsmith either.
I have done extensive work on mine to get it to where it is today. I did my own fitting. It has the PRP kit w/ sear and another unavailable part that talked them into letting me buy.
I don't care what some meat heads will tell you. Using 230 grain ammo will beat the hell out of your hand. I use 185 grain and the thing is very accurate for a 3.3" barrel.
Now that it is where I like it and is now reliable, I would still never think to use it as a CCW.
As a range gun, I love it, now.

General
03-10-2016, 10:51 AM
I own an XDS 3.3 .45ACP.
They are prone to go out of battery when holstering them. The slide goes back about an 1/8 of an inch and does not return on its own.

Maybe your holster is too tight.
I've had zero problems.
Accurate, easy carry, gonna get a 9mm sometime.

j15w
03-10-2016, 11:07 AM
Looks like you want a Service 4" XD45. The XDS is not on the roster and can only be obtained through PPT.

That being said, I have the 4" XD45. It has about 2k rounds through it and has never once malfunctioned with a variety of ammo. Takedown is incredibly easy. Flip a lever and pull the trigger. The grip is a little chunky for me and my sausage fingers, but by no means hard to handle. Trigger is definitely acceptable at this point after being "worn in" for 2k rounds. If you are looking for a G21 alternative, this is a good one!

DArBad
03-10-2016, 11:27 AM
Thanks gang. By " fullsize ", I mean the 4 inch and longer.

XD only, as the XDM and XDS are not CA legal.

Kmai24
03-10-2016, 11:36 AM
Aha!! It gets confusing when you put XDS when you actually mean (xd's). I had the service model in 45acp but then got rid of it for a 9mm service. No particular reason just preferred shooting 45's out of 1911's. Also I sold my 9 to my cousin (which was my first gun) then traded the 45 back for my 9..sentimental values I guess. If I were to purchase a 45 in the xd line i would opt for the tactical model 5" because you can get a 460 Rowland conversion kit and shoot both 45acp and 460!!

nedro
03-10-2016, 1:07 PM
Maybe your holster is too tight.
I've had zero problems.
Accurate, easy carry, gonna get a 9mm sometime.
If true, I sure would like to meet up with you sometime and compare.
Load you mag (XDS 3.3 .45 acp), chamber a round. Now pull the slide back about an 1/8 of an inch. If you tell me that the slide goes all the way forward after letting go, I really have to see that.
I might even travel to see it.

nedro
03-10-2016, 1:09 PM

Got it.
Mine was purchased through SSE. I thought you were LEO and were thinking about carrying.

Metal Fiend
03-10-2016, 2:27 PM

Got my XDM 4.5" .45acp right before SSE ended and it's my favorite pistol, I'll see them every once in awhile in the for sale section.

BlackonBlack
03-10-2016, 2:30 PM
I retract my reply. I thought OP was asking about XDS and not XD. I don't own an XD

j15w
03-10-2016, 5:38 PM
How long does it take for a complete takedown to a bare frame?

I've only done it once using an online guide. It was not fast but not hard with a few punches. Assembly is more difficult IMO. I misread and thought OP was talking about a field strip.

Glocks are definitely still champ when it comes to detail stripping.

Asphalt Cowboy
03-10-2016, 5:57 PM
my full size 4" XD 45 was my first semi auto handgun. I still have it and love it. always consistent, accurate, easy to fire and relatively inexpensive. I liked it so much I know own 2 other XD's

Carcassonne
03-10-2016, 6:18 PM
If true, I sure would like to meet up with you sometime and compare.
Load you mag (XDS 3.3 .45 acp), chamber a round. Now pull the slide back about an 1/8 of an inch. If you tell me that the slide goes all the way forward after letting go, I really have to see that.
I might even travel to see it.

I checked my clean and dry XDS 4.0 9mm, and it did the same thing as yours; the slide stayed back. I then oiled the gun, and it would only stay back if the muzzle was pointed upward. If I lowered the gun to the horizontal position, the slide went forward. The slide would not stay back if the muzzle was horizontal or pointed downward. I think all it needs is a heavier spring, but Springfield should supply it because the gun should have been supplied with the proper weight spring.

5ZS
03-10-2016, 6:18 PM
I have both in 45 caliber, G30 and XD45-5", so buy both :p.

Detail strip, the Glock will be easier. I do not know of any gun that may be easier or quicker than Glock.

The XD required a punch for the striker retaining pin to take the firing pin out. The rest is not overly complicated, but perhaps not for some people who just like to toot operator speed status. Slow down, enjoy life, enjoy your guns.
Field strip, XD takes it because of the easier lever.

I have probably only detail strip all my guns 2-3 times, not because I need to, but a learning experience and to learn the mechanics. So, if you leave it at that, then buy another Glock.

What works for me with the XD is the slimmer grip is more comfortable, the trigger break is cleaner. PRP trigger is better than any Glock aftermarket trigger (with out deactivation any Glock safety feature), but you do have more choices with Glock. They are both on par, and just a user preference. I have no need to constantly toot what percent uses what, as I am not a operator.

Either way, can not go wrong, good luck with choice.

DArBad
03-11-2016, 7:29 AM
I have both in 45 caliber, G30 and XD45-5", so buy both :p.

Detail strip, the Glock will be easier. I do not know of any gun that may be easier or q

What works for me with the XD is the slimmer grip is more comfortable, the trigger break is cleaner...........

I like the slim grips.

Carcassonne
03-11-2016, 8:30 AM
I noticed that a Gen4 Glock 19 recoil spring assembly will fit in an XDS 4.0 9mm. I have not shot it to see if it works.

jeffafa
03-11-2016, 8:01 PM
I have a XD9 service (4") and love it. Over a thousand rounds of various ammo without a single hiccup. To be fair, I should say my wife has one as she has claimed it for herself! She's a lefty and the ambi mag release is better suited for her. She also shoots it better than any of our other guns.

Jacknife
03-11-2016, 8:08 PM
i have one in full size and the wide grip makes for a softer felt recoil. Shoots well a good pistol for the money.

SevenSixTwoNATO
03-11-2016, 8:26 PM
With 45 Auto ammo costing 50% more I don't see the point to a plastic .45.

Nothing will be as easy to take down as a Glock.

it is as easy as a glock.

Click Boom
03-11-2016, 11:24 PM
Xds 3.3 9mm is my most convenient carry option. It's shockingly accurate, and has never malfunctioned.

I would pay the ppt premium and get an xds and xdm.

I am a glock guy but the xds 3.3 9mm is a great little gun.

Germ1
03-11-2016, 11:38 PM
I checked my clean and dry XDS 4.0 9mm, and it did the same thing as yours; the slide stayed back. I then oiled the gun, and it would only stay back if the muzzle was pointed upward. If I lowered the gun to the horizontal position, the slide went forward. The slide would not stay back if the muzzle was horizontal or pointed downward. I think all it needs is a heavier spring, but Springfield should supply it because the gun should have been supplied with the proper weight spring.

Sounds like you guys need new recoil springs. What you're both describing is classic signs of worn out recoil spring. If you combine this with brass being thrown really far and failures, it's defiantly a worn recoil spring.

Bakerloo
03-12-2016, 5:58 AM
I have a 4" XD Service in .45 cal. I love the gun, so before SSE was over, I bought a .45 XDs 3.3. For me, the gun was too much. It was a punisher. After SSE went away, I found a guy who wanted to trade his NIB XDs 9 for a XDs 45. We made the trade and I love the XDs 9 as much as my full size XD 45.

nedro
03-12-2016, 9:57 AM
Sounds like you guys need new recoil springs. What you're both describing is classic signs of worn out recoil spring. If you combine this with brass being thrown really far and failures, it's defiantly a worn recoil spring.
Not likely on a new guns with many others having the same issue. Oh, and how exactly do we get a new recoil spring on an XDS?
Call Springfield? Ha, ha, ha. Go ahead and try that. Then come back and let us know how that went down. Ha, ha, ha.

E Michael
03-12-2016, 10:11 AM
Tag for xds spring

Germ1
03-12-2016, 12:23 PM
Not likely on a new guns with many others having the same issue. Oh, and how exactly do we get a new recoil spring on an XDS?
Call Springfield? Ha, ha, ha. Go ahead and try that. Then come back and let us know how that went down. Ha, ha, ha.

You buy one on the internet..... Just like you do for any other firearm.
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/XDS5080

Neither one of those guys said that their guns were new, not that I saw.

E Michael
03-13-2016, 4:48 PM
My xds had this issue right out the box, it seems that once thegun was broken in, about 500 rounds, it got better.

Humboldter209
03-13-2016, 6:46 PM
Had an xds 3.0 9mm for about a year and never did like the trigger. For me, the worst trigger of any of the 20 stock semi- auto pistols I own. Sold it. Replaced it with a non Ca 9mm Shield. Glad I did.