PDA

View Full Version : what are your favorite attachments?

molonlabe74
10-20-2015, 10:09 AM
im new to the ar platform and my ar is currently bare bones, so im interested to see what different attachments and accessories you guys have on yours? let me know why you like or dont like it. thanks in advance.

jrpowell3
10-20-2015, 10:18 AM
Forward Pistol Grip.

Reason: I feel it gives me better control over the weapon, plus it allows your forehand to assist in keeping the weapon securely in your shoulder.

/thread

TruEdge
10-20-2015, 10:21 AM
Sling attachments. Nothing beats a good sling. Even helps supporting the rifle when shooting offhand.

jrpowell3
10-20-2015, 10:25 AM
Sling attachments. Nothing beats a good sling. Even helps supporting the rifle when shooting offhand.

I thought a sling was a foregone conclusion. My mistake, I advocate a sling also.

target_shot
10-20-2015, 10:26 AM
Simple is good, simple is clean, simple is efficient.

I have: a 1-4x, 3-9x, 6-24x scope, all mounted on 45*s, a stick grip on each facet of my keymod rail, a laser designator, IR designator, 7 different RDSs, double mag attachment, tactical spork, spare barrel for quick change, knife, backup knife, bayonet, full size statue of ronald reagan, dragon muzzle break, a few bipods, and 14 flashlights including one pointing at my face for optimal selfie lighting while pew pewing at the range

/s

I have a 3-9x Leupold, stubby grip, and tac light on my PWS keymod rail. I have an MOE buttstock, FAB defence grip, and extended ambi charging handle. I replaced the BCC with a low mass BCC and the barrel with a bull barrel. I also replaced the trigger

nealo
10-20-2015, 10:37 AM
Tactical flashlights. Lots of them.

fritztkatt
10-20-2015, 10:39 AM
Sling, buis rear (standard a frame front), red dot, vfg, flash light.

Mods would be charging handle, ambi safety, ambi mag release for free state use, tape on both grips, and a paint job.

I like to keep it simple. My g19 has a tlr3 on it at all times, night sights (unless you shoot them off, hehe), and some grip tape.

Noticed a lot of people DON'T have slings for their long guns or holsters for their pistols. I don't get it. They have a HD gun that's fairly expensive, but no night sights or even a flashlight... FO sights with a flashlight is also a good combo I'm told.

Click Boom
10-20-2015, 10:42 AM
Sling and flashlight are the most important, followed by optic. Furniture upgrades are way below these. Mags and ammo go without saying... or not; get lots of mags and ammo

TruEdge
10-20-2015, 10:51 AM
Don't listen to these guys your going to want all this too :D. If possible a blender attachment as well.

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb418/schenone85/image.jpg1_5.jpg (http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/schenone85/media/image.jpg1_5.jpg.html)

cockedandglocked
10-20-2015, 11:23 AM
Being new to the AR platform, you will undoubtedly go through the same process that the rest of us did in the beginning: You'll buy one of every attachment (bipod, forward grip, laser, flashlight, scopes, back-up sights, bottle opener, condom dispenser, etc), then after using them for a little while, you'll buy "better" versions of all those things, that you feel fit your needs better than the first versions. Then, after realizing that it's really not fun doing target practice with a rifle that weighs 25 pounds, you'll go back to the basics, and your accessory drawer at home will look a lot like the accessory drawers the rest of us have - full, and dusty.

Here's my opinion on some common accessories:

Iron sights: Required! If also using an optic, use flip-up sights. Zero them and practice with them BEFORE installing an optic. My favorite ones are polymer, to keep the weight down, but metal ones are more durable.

Optic: hunting/long range scopes are silly. Nobody seriously uses an ar-15 carbine for long range shots, it's got too many adjustments to make for elevation and windage and magnification and focus, you're not going to want to mess with all that nonsense every time you shoot your AR. My suggestion is a Reflex or red-dot sight, or something like an ACOG with a fixed magnification and focus. Tritium and/or fiber illumination is a HUGE plus, so you don't have to mess with batteries and on/off switches. A big plus if it can be removed from the rifle without tools, so if it breaks or gets knocked out of alignment or something, you can quickly get back to shooting with your iron sights.

Forward grip: Try your rifle without one for a while. Do a google search for pictures of people shooting AR's with forward grips, and you'll notice most people aren't even using it when they have one. Personally, I like to have a Magpul vertical grip on mine even if I don't use it all the time, it's nice to have the option to.

Flashlight: Opinions vary widely on this one. If you ever plan to use your AR for personal defense, then it might be a good idea, but honestly the AR is not an ideal HD gun. Save the flashlight for your bedside guns, it just adds a lot of weight for something you'll probably never use. If you must have a light, consider one of the "backup light" options, which is basically just a little tiny light that barely weighs anything.

Laser: Don't bother. Yes, they look cool. But you can't see them in the day, and they're pointless beyond 25 yards unless you plan to do a lot of long-range shooting from the hip? A red-dot serves the same purpose as a laser (fast target acquisition), without any of the problems associated with a laser (like sunlight, giving away your location, a spread-out "dot" due to crud on the lens, etc).

Sling: Are you using your AR for hunting? No? Then don't bother, it will just get in your way. Or, consider a single-point sling with a quick-disconnect, so you at least have the option of adding a sling quickly, but otherwise you can leave it off - that's what I do

Edit: I forgot a couple

Bipod: It's nice to have one sometimes at the range, but they're usually quite heavy and you aren't going to want it attached all the time, so make sure it's one that's easy to put on and take off. Or maybe consider one of the vertical forward grips that double as a bipod? I don't like them, but you might.

Magazines: Get lots of them. 10 at a minimum, 20 is even better. Remember, 20 mags only means 200 shots at the range without reloading, that's not that many. Magpul native 10-rounders (not 10/30) with dust covers are my personal preference, some Calgunners prefer 10/30's because they like to have a non-functioning curvy dong hanging from the bottom of their rifle so that people can immediately identify their status as a tier 1 tactical operator. My vote is for actual 30-rounders if you're allowed to, or native 10-round mags if you aren't. You should be able to find Pmags for $12-14 each so there's no reason not to have lots of them.

saudadeii
10-20-2015, 12:42 PM
http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/TBO-2.jpg

ScottsBad
10-20-2015, 12:50 PM
Aimpoint T1
Geissele SSA trigger
Troy Iron Sights
Light
QD sling mounts
VTAC sling
BCM mod4 or Ambi Charging handle
BAD ambi selector

saudadeii
10-20-2015, 1:02 PM
Well, I'm pretty newb myself.

Are you looking for some functional components that will facilitate use in HD/SD situations?

Are you looking for components to impress/scare your friends with your EBR?

Are you looking to not look so newb-ish (or noob-ish) at the range?

teflondog
10-20-2015, 1:04 PM
Folding iron sights, sling, optic, vertical foregrip, and light (in that order).

Metal Fiend
10-20-2015, 1:17 PM
Bayonet :D

Munny$hot
10-20-2015, 1:27 PM
If it's going to be used to protect you and your family also, A Surefire dual illumination flashlight 1/2 press low 15 lumens, full press 200-300 lumens and a Aimpoint Pro that will co-whitness with your existing iron sights. If your running a carry handle then you'll need a rear fixed or folding rear sight.

Wes C Addle
10-20-2015, 1:31 PM
norgon ambi mag release (for featureless only)
ambi charging handle
ambi QD
MagPul BAD lever

cockedandglocked
10-20-2015, 1:33 PM
A shoulder thing that goes up

And this stuff:
http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Ultimate+ar+15+the+mall+ninja+s+secret+weapon_6401 c6_4615950.jpg

Wes C Addle
10-20-2015, 2:04 PM
^you forgot the IR laser

Germ1
10-20-2015, 2:09 PM
In my opinion there are only a few things that should ever be mounted to your rifle. One, a optic, two a flash light and three, maybe a forward grip. Everything else is unnecessary clutter. Unless you plan on buying nodes, then you could get an IR laser I suppose, but why would you. Need those nodes for the coming zombie Apocalypse or other such non sense?

atolax25
10-20-2015, 2:14 PM
hand stops are also something you can look into if you want some support but don't want to go all in on a vert grip.

patriot_man
10-20-2015, 2:16 PM
Light is #1 priority on any of my rifles.
Then optics

I don't use a forward grip unless it's a 7" rail or forearm with a light/laser taking up most of the space.

missiontrails
10-20-2015, 2:21 PM
Loaded mag.... that's my fav attachment.

cockedandglocked
10-20-2015, 2:32 PM
Light is #1 priority on any of my rifles.

It's all just opinions so I'm not suggesting your opinion is wrong or anything, but I'm curious why you feel that way. I sort of get it* for a home defense gun, but besides that when would you ever use a light? Do you frequently do target practice in the middle of the night?

*except I don't, because I feel that identifying a target by pointing a loaded weapon at them while you're full of adrenaline isn't very smart, unless you know for a FACT that the person walking around your house isn't a loved one.

dls
10-20-2015, 2:34 PM
Bipod,
When I target practice,it's normally targeting squirrels lying prone,or off a bench.

I like the pistol grip on my tactical over the top FDE AR, It's great when we are running an assault on the empty cans we have collected at my friend's ranch.

I have a light on one AR, it looks cool, I check the battery every few months.

One AR has a matching ODGreen M9 Bayonet, that looks real cool, I occasionally take it out to show non gun people how scary the AR can be.

But yeah, I'd say the Bipod mounted with a LaRue quick connect on the long AR is my fav.

fritztkatt
10-20-2015, 2:46 PM
Anyone ever used the tritium replacement post/aperture to make their iron sights into night sights? Seems like a cool thing to have.

Flashlights aren't bad for range use either... adds weight to the muzzle end, less rise.

BarrettM99
10-20-2015, 2:52 PM
All you need is a basic sling, an optic like a Vortex Strike Fire II and a small light for night use. That's all I mount on mine.

vanillagurilla
10-20-2015, 3:10 PM
Sling, I suggest a 2 point and I run a vickers qd quick adjust. Bcm hand stop, vortex sparc2, and a cheap ebay comp that works amazingly well, better then a lantech by far.

RNE228
10-20-2015, 3:28 PM
I must be bucking the trend. Basic M4 with GI web sling.

Learn the basics of being a rifleman. Then decide if you need gizmo's.

Go do an Applessed shoot(especially a full range - out to 400 yards). Or take a Tactical class. Then decide about fluff. I'd rather be a proficient shooter with basic equipment, than a mediocre shooter with fluffy equipment.

cockedandglocked
10-20-2015, 3:39 PM
If you REALLY feel like you NEED a light on your rifle, consider something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Mission-First-Tactical-BACKUP-WEAPON/dp/B00JH4L8ZQ/
(I realize it's not tacticool-looking, so it defeats the primary purpose of a weapon light, but it's small enough that you might as well put one on every weapon that has a rail)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41rEpwg8AzL.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41YxcPioHGL.jpg

el_clingon
10-20-2015, 4:55 PM
Don't listen to these guys your going to want all this too :D. If possible a blender attachment as well.

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb418/schenone85/image.jpg1_5.jpg (http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/schenone85/media/image.jpg1_5.jpg.html)

you forgot the fuzzy dice

Euphoria526
10-20-2015, 5:05 PM
I like my eotech. Simple and effective

m850168
10-20-2015, 5:50 PM
Less is more. Sights and a sling. Flashlight if you might need to shoot in the dark. A red dot or HWS is a great addition too. The sling should be one you can use as a shooting aid; like a GI web sling, VTAC, etc.

I do get a lot of use out of a 3-9 scope and a bipod. 9x is enough for me to see .22 cal holes at 100 yards. The bipod is for zeroing and seeing how accurate various loads are; bags would work the bipod is just easier to carry. And the scope can sort of stand in for a spotting scope out to a few hundred yards.

Click Boom
10-20-2015, 6:24 PM
If you REALLY feel like you NEED a light on your rifle, consider something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Mission-First-Tactical-BACKUP-WEAPON/dp/B00JH4L8ZQ/
(I realize it's not tacticool-looking, so it defeats the primary purpose of a weapon light, but it's small enough that you might as well put one on every weapon that has a rail)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41rEpwg8AzL.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41YxcPioHGL.jpg

Why not just get a real light.

wolf_walker69
10-20-2015, 6:29 PM
That little light is actually super handy if you do any walking around at night, fields and woods and such. Big light on a weapon is for target ID and to be used briefly, not for navigation.

neouser
10-20-2015, 7:15 PM
http://northernriflemen.com/images/Magpul559BLK.jpg

Click Boom
10-20-2015, 7:19 PM
That little light is actually super handy if you do any walking around at night, fields and woods and such. Big light on a weapon is for target ID and to be used briefly, not for navigation.

Big light still better if u gotya pick one. I do like having a two mode light on the gun, but low rarely gets used. High gets used all the time.

cockedandglocked
10-21-2015, 9:33 AM
High gets used all the time.

For what? Everyone keeps saying you need a big huge weapon light on all your rifles, and nobody has really said why, other than "target identification". So, you do a lot of night-time target identification? If you're on the LAPD SWAT team and you raid houses at night on a regular basis, ok great, but for the rest of us why bother having a giant metal weight on the end of your rifle that is unused 99.999% of the time, or in most cases probably 100% of the time.

That's why I'd have that little light I posted above rather than a great big thing... at least it won't get in the way when I'm not practicing midnight building-clearing drills in my pajamas.

I just ordered the little one I linked above last night, I'll post a quick write-up about it once it arrives... I don't really want to keep advocating it until I've actually tried it, hopefully I like it. Plan to put it on my Benelli M4's railed handguard though, as I don't personally want to use my AR for HD, I live in an apartment.

wolf_walker69
10-21-2015, 10:22 AM
For what? Everyone keeps saying you need a big huge weapon light on all your rifles, and nobody has really said why, other than "target identification". So, you do a lot of night-time target identification? If you're on the LAPD SWAT team and you raid houses at night on a regular basis, ok great, but for the rest of us why bother having a giant metal weight on the end of your rifle that is unused 99.999% of the time, or in most cases probably 100% of the time.

That's why I'd have that little light I posted above rather than a great big thing... at least it won't get in the way when I'm not practicing midnight building-clearing drills in my pajamas.

I just ordered the little one I linked above last night, I'll post a quick write-up about it once it arrives... I don't really want to keep advocating it until I've actually tried it, hopefully I like it. Plan to put it on my Benelli M4's railed handguard though, as I don't personally want to use my AR for HD, I live in an apartment.

If you aren't using an AR, or any gun, for home defense or night hunting(maybe?) or for actual "work", you don't need a light. I have had some with lights that might need, and some without that never would.
Simple as that. I can't see in the dark. I carry a really nice little pocket flashlight daily too and get a heck of a lot of use out of it.

I don't advocate multi-mode lights on firearms in general.
Working under the assumption that one might have a use for the light, I personally want an on/off as quick and simple as possible, no staged press, no twist, no double, just on and off. Light and no light. It's how I was taught
to use them, brief illumination of an area that may contain a threat, a wild animal, a trespasser, a burglar, etc. Light on, scan, light off and move.
The benefit of that little round light, is that it's something you can turn on and leave on for navigating around while not using a hand to hold a light, not totally ruining your night vision with an umpteen billion candlepower big light, and announcing your position to everyone and everything within half a mile. It may well also be plenty bright for peeking around your home or such in a pinch, but the side-press activation is not ideal for such imo.

This is vs a regular carry light that must have both a quickly accessible full-bright setting in addition to a quickly accessible low or "moonlight" mode for some of the same reasons above. Too much light is often as bad or worse than too little. You can see Surefire trying to address this with their intellibeam technology(that I haven't tried).

If you don't need a light, you don't need a light. No biggie.
Not unlike a firearm itself though, imo it's better to have and
not need, than need and not have. A modest, durable, well positioned
light is a good addition to a basic carbine imo unless one is positive
it'll never do anything but plink at the range or such in the daylight.

It's not unlike a bipod really. Most folks don't need a bipod on a regular old AR
or whatever, but they have a use on something scoped that's job in life
is to make accurate shots from a bench or a fixed position. Same difference.
Just another tool.

chead
10-21-2015, 10:46 AM
Light, optic, back up sights. I use a vertical foregrip but that's just preference not a necessity.

ducster
10-21-2015, 10:47 AM
my 2 cents fwiw:

Sights:
Cheap - Bushnell red dot trs-24 or 32 (my numbers may be off). reliable and inexpensive.
Higher end: Primary Arms, Aimpoint, or Trijicon reflex (what battery?)

Sling: VTAC, or tailor tactical.

Lights:
Unless you're hunting bad guys CQB, you don't need a light. It looks cool but will weigh down your rifle. Save your money.

Vertical grip: helps your wrist from twisting awkwardly

chead
10-21-2015, 10:49 AM
Lights:
Unless you're hunting bad guys CQB, you don't need a light. It looks cool but will weigh down your rifle. Save your money.

It will hopefully never be necessary but I'd prefer to have a light if I ever needed it and it's not super heavy or expensive, so why not? It seems like the most practical thing you could put on a rifle.

cockedandglocked
10-21-2015, 10:53 AM
If you aren't using an AR, or any gun, for home defense or night hunting(maybe?) or for actual "work", you don't need a light. I have had some with lights that might need, and some without that never would.
Simple as that. I can't see in the dark. I carry a really nice little pocket flashlight daily too and get a heck of a lot of use out of it.

I don't advocate multi-mode lights on firearms in general.
Working under the assumption that one might have a use for the light, I personally want an on/off as quick and simple as possible, no staged press, no twist, no double, just on and off. Light and no light. It's how I was taught
to use them, brief illumination of an area that may contain a threat, a wild animal, a trespasser, a burglar, etc. Light on, scan, light off and move.
The benefit of that little round light, is that it's something you can turn on and leave on for navigating around while not using a hand to hold a light, not totally ruining your night vision with an umpteen billion candlepower big light, and announcing your position to everyone and everything within half a mile. It may well also be plenty bright for peeking around your home or such in a pinch, but the side-press activation is not ideal for such imo.

This is vs a regular carry light that must have both a quickly accessible full-bright setting in addition to a quickly accessible low or "moonlight" mode for some of the same reasons above. Too much light is often as bad or worse than too little. You can see Surefire trying to address this with their intellibeam technology(that I haven't tried).

If you don't need a light, you don't need a light. No biggie.
Not unlike a firearm itself though, imo it's better to have and
not need, than need and not have. A modest, durable, well positioned
light is a good addition to a basic carbine imo unless one is positive
it'll never do anything but plink at the range or such in the daylight.

It's not unlike a bipod really. Most folks don't need a bipod on a regular old AR
or whatever, but they have a use on something scoped that's job in life
is to make accurate shots from a bench or a fixed position. Same difference.
Just another tool.

Excellent points.

But some people said things like:

Light is #1 priority on any of my rifles

...and it makes me think, does this guy have all his rifles stacked up against the wall near his bed, and he has absolutely no idea which one he'll grab if he hears something? So his solution is just to equip everything he owns to perform HD duty?

IMO, you should have ONE or TWO hd guns: a handgun and/or a longgun. The last thing you want to be doing in a panic is pondering "Hmmmm, did that loud noise outside sound like I should shoot it with my AR-10, my AR-15, my other AR-15, or my other other AR-15?" You should only have to think "I have time to grab my longgun" or "No time for longgun, grab the pistol".

musketjon
10-21-2015, 11:03 AM
What?!?!??? No one has a cell phone attached to their rails?!?? I AM surprised.
Jon

wolf_walker69
10-21-2015, 11:31 AM
Excellent points.

But some people said things like:

...and it makes me think, does this guy have all his rifles stacked up against the wall near his bed, and he has absolutely no idea which one he'll grab if he hears something? So his solution is just to equip everything he owns to perform HD duty?

IMO, you should have ONE or TWO hd guns: a handgun and/or a longgun. The last thing you want to be doing in a panic is pondering "Hmmmm, did that loud noise outside sound like I should shoot it with my AR-10, my AR-15, my other AR-15, or my other other AR-15?" You should only have to think "I have time to grab my longgun" or "No time for longgun, grab the pistol".

I agree. Some folks aren't as articulate as we might wish, but their hearts are in the right place. :)

There is something to be said for similar configuration on each weapon to maintain consistent manipulation and all that I guess. I don't do any crazy "operating" but I end up with the same sling setup, same light position if I have one, same kinda grips, etc on regular 16' AR's and to a degree AK's just because it's always what ends up being comfy to me.

cavemanlrrp
10-21-2015, 11:34 AM
Op you didn't mention what stock or hand guard you have.

What ever you decide you want/need think about (good) mounts that QD or at least fast on off. It make one rifle max versatile.

A rifle without a sling is like a hand gun without a holster, just harder to put in your pocket. ;)

My pron gun seldom has it's sling on, but it's always near by. My move'n around guns never get shot without a sling. But that's just me. :)

Best
caveman

KING_PALM
10-21-2015, 12:06 PM
anything that is attached to my gun is functional.
Silencers and forward grips are my favorite and a must on everything I shoot.

fritztkatt
10-21-2015, 12:19 PM
Has anyone figured out how to attach stuff to their ghost gun? Everything I've tried just passes through it. Despite not being able to use any attachments, the rate of fire compensates very well. Finding assault clips can be difficult at times though.

milotrain
10-21-2015, 12:26 PM
Not a damn thing.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-H0csJTGKtsk/UwlKMVWOieI/AAAAAAAAB-w/LUozSthb_Lw/s720-Ic42/AR.jpg

Click Boom
10-21-2015, 12:33 PM

I always shoot in the desert and I like going in the late afternoon if it's hot, so that always ends up with me shooting in the dark. With a real light I can still shoot gongs at 1-200 yards till the cows come home. It's fun too. I would guess the only thing one of those micro lights is good for is pretending to the clear the house in your jammies. If I was really clearing the house I would be fully dark until the moment of target ID, which requires a brighter and more focused light, with pressure sensitive Button. Ymmv.

Metal Fiend
10-21-2015, 1:21 PM
What?!?!??? No one has a cell phone attached to their rails?!?? I AM surprised.
Jon
Someone needs to invent a rail mounted selfie stick so the mall ninjas can take selfies as the operate :D

wolf_walker69
10-21-2015, 1:30 PM
Someone needs to invent a rail mounted selfie stick so the mall ninjas can take selfies as the operate :D

toooo late

http://shop.gopro.com/mounts/sportsman-mount/ASGUM-001.html

http://www.captureyourhunt.com/rifle-gopro-mount/

Some of it is pretty neat to watch though.

cockedandglocked
10-21-2015, 2:56 PM
I always shoot in the desert and I like going in the late afternoon if it's hot, so that always ends up with me shooting in the dark. With a real light I can still shoot gongs at 1-200 yards till the cows come home. It's fun too.

That's definitely a good reason to have a light, but having it mounted to your rifle as opposed to, say, mounted on a stationary tripod pointing downrange, doesn't seem advantageous. I'm guessing you already thought of that though so you probably have your reasons. I'm certainly not trying to say that weapon lights are pointless for everyone, just saying that most of the time they're pointless for most people, hence my confusion about so many people in here listing it as a highest-priority accessory. Even more important than an optic, one person said. Maybe that guy is an expert iron-sight marksman, I don't know, but for most people I think a red-dot is more important than a light, if you had to choose only 1.

MigNoche
10-21-2015, 4:12 PM
I always shoot in the desert and I like going in the late afternoon if it's hot, so that always ends up with me shooting in the dark. With a real light I can still shoot gongs at 1-200 yards till the cows come home. It's fun too. I would guess the only thing one of those micro lights is good for is pretending to the clear the house in your jammies. If I was really clearing the house I would be fully dark until the moment of target ID, which requires a brighter and more focused light, with pressure sensitive Button. Ymmv.

This...

Night time desert shooting on a moonlit night is prime.

Click Boom
10-21-2015, 4:16 PM
I like being able to illuminate my target. If the choice was between a weapon mounted light and a system of lights setup at different gongs, well idk how that would work logistically so light on rifle is nice.

P.s. bright light with red dot is like the best sight pic, very fun and easy. Easier than daytime even. I like shooting at night.

wurger
10-21-2015, 4:27 PM
Suppressor, hands down.

Unfortunately, unlike my cousin who has several cans, I don't live in a free state and can't have one. F/U Kalifornia.

More seriously, I don't accessorize my rifles much. But I do appreciate nice glass. Spend your $$ on quality optics and skip the TactoNinja gee gaws.

patriot_man
10-21-2015, 5:12 PM
snip

Dude, are you really recommending people to use a Princeton Tec as their home defense light? I know the guy that designed it and its made to be used as a NAV light. Why not have more light when it is not detrimental but beneficial? A 1000 lumen SF Fury will allow you to ID and get more spill into your surroundings giving more situational awareness.

It isn't only about target ID but inducing temporary blindness on the bad guy.

I only own 4 guns - 2 Glocks and 2 AR-15s and yes both have lights. I want all of them capable of the same task at hand.

patriot_man
10-21-2015, 5:25 PM
Also the folks recommending NO light for your HD gun. What is your logic for not having a light on the rifle?

wolf_walker69
10-21-2015, 5:45 PM
If I had to pick between a light and a red dot or such, I'd choose the red dot and use one of the half dozen flashlights I have laying around with some duct tape. :)

Flashlights are a fun hobby in and of themselves. Thus far nobody has treid to legislate my flashlight fun away but I haven't ruled out the possibility.

Click Boom
10-21-2015, 7:08 PM
Also the folks recommending NO light for your HD gun. What is your logic for not having a light on the rifle?

It's just bad logic or inexperience. All HD guns should have a light. Pistols should have a light or a handheld next to them.

Click Boom
10-21-2015, 7:09 PM
If I had to pick between a light and a red dot or such, I'd choose the red dot and use one of the half dozen flashlights I have laying around with some duct tape. :)

Flashlights are a fun hobby in and of themselves. Thus far nobody has treid to legislate my flashlight fun away but I haven't ruled out the possibility.

i just bought a solarforce L2P 2015. can't decide what to use as drop-in. I am very noob to this. i bought a cheap drop in off ebay and it flashed for like half a sec and then never worked again.

cockedandglocked
10-21-2015, 8:41 PM
Dude, are you really recommending people to use a Princeton Tec as their home defense light? I know the guy that designed it and its made to be used as a NAV light. Why not have more light when it is not detrimental but beneficial? A 1000 lumen SF Fury will allow you to ID and get more spill into your surroundings giving more situational awareness.

It isn't only about target ID but inducing temporary blindness on the bad guy.

I only own 4 guns - 2 Glocks and 2 AR-15s and yes both have lights. I want all of them capable of the same task at hand.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't know anything about it, I should be getting it in the mail tomorrow so I'll recommend it (or not) after I mess with it a bit. But either way the concept is great: put it on every longgun you own (since apparently every longgun you own should have a light), might as well, because you won't even notice it's there. Can't say that about a giant torch that runs off 2 or 3 CR123 batteries.

A light of some sort is not a bad idea for an HD gun. OP hadn't specifically said it was an HD rifle. If it is, fine, put a light on it. I question whether it's a good idea to use an AR for HD unless you know for sure there won't be anything on the other side of any of your walls or the nearby vicinity of your home that you don't want to get shot. Again, OP didn't give any detail like that, so I don't know. If you have 2 AR's, and they are both ready to deploy for HD purposes, fine, put lights on both. But if you've got 1 AR by your bed for HD, and 12 more in a safe, is there really a non-tacticool reason to have giant lights on them? (aside from the Desert night-shooting and coyote hunting points made earlier, both valid reasons)

This is a little off-topic, since this is a rifle thread, but since pistol lights were mentioned, I used to like them but now I hate them. On a rifle, you don't have any free hands, so you don't really have a choice but to mount it to the rifle, but for a pistol you shouldn't need to point your loaded pistol at someone's face just to make sure it isn't your teenage son sneaking back in the house. You should be able to point the light without pointing the pistol. Again, if you are absolutely sure that a noise you hear in your house will NEVER be a loved one, then fine, point the pistol at their face to ID them.

jarhead714
10-21-2015, 8:47 PM
My cheek is the most vital attachment I own.

Squidward
10-22-2015, 9:02 AM
Here's my opinion; less is more!

Iron sights, a flashlight, sling and magazines. Although not an "accessory" a quality cleaning kit.

robledo
10-22-2015, 9:14 AM
Messing around with a plain jane A2 has kind of enlightened me on how the places where your body contacts the gun really do effect comfort during extended or frequent use. So for me it's a vertical foregrip, BCM pistol grip and a SOPMOD style adjustable stock.

Not saying a "standard" M16 style rifle is unusable but the difference is noticeable.

Jimi Jah
10-22-2015, 9:22 AM
Nothing except maybe a rail attachment under the freefloat tube to attach a bipod. I like my AR's slim, light and nimble. Aimpoint Red dot or scope is usually it for me.

wolf_walker69
10-22-2015, 9:55 AM
i just bought a solarforce L2P 2015. can't decide what to use as drop-in. I am very noob to this. i bought a cheap drop in off ebay and it flashed for like half a sec and then never worked again.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com bestest

http://www.customlites.com better than average but a bit overpriced, in NC.

http://intl-outdoor.com/p60-c-143.html?zenid=1c368b9a89476395a5ab8b04641941bf good quality, better price, ships from china, not fast.

there are a TON of suppliers/makers, those three I've used and been happy with the hardware, there are plenty of others. Only Malkoff is truly weapon rated out of those three. His modules are darn near indestructible. IME if it survives a drop or shock or two to test it, any well assembled p60 will hold up to general use on a 5.56. There are guys on candlepowerforums that build p60's to spec and will pot and fill them to ruggedize em as well but they are usually getting close to the price of one of John M's by that time. oveready.com is a good place to go broke on flashlight stuff too.

Click Boom
10-22-2015, 9:56 AM
As I mentioned earlier, I don't know anything about it, I should be getting it in the mail tomorrow so I'll recommend it (or not) after I mess with it a bit. But either way the concept is great: put it on every longgun you own (since apparently every longgun you own should have a light), might as well, because you won't even notice it's there. Can't say that about a giant torch that runs off 2 or 3 CR123 batteries.

A light of some sort is not a bad idea for an HD gun. OP hadn't specifically said it was an HD rifle. If it is, fine, put a light on it. I question whether it's a good idea to use an AR for HD unless you know for sure there won't be anything on the other side of any of your walls or the nearby vicinity of your home that you don't want to get shot. Again, OP didn't give any detail like that, so I don't know. If you have 2 AR's, and they are both ready to deploy for HD purposes, fine, put lights on both. But if you've got 1 AR by your bed for HD, and 12 more in a safe, is there really a non-tacticool reason to have giant lights on them? (aside from the Desert night-shooting and coyote hunting points made earlier, both valid reasons)

This is a little off-topic, since this is a rifle thread, but since pistol lights were mentioned, I used to like them but now I hate them. On a rifle, you don't have any free hands, so you don't really have a choice but to mount it to the rifle, but for a pistol you shouldn't need to point your loaded pistol at someone's face just to make sure it isn't your teenage son sneaking back in the house. You should be able to point the light without pointing the pistol. Again, if you are absolutely sure that a noise you hear in your house will NEVER be a loved one, then fine, point the pistol at their face to ID them.

I agree about the pistol lights. But I really don't agree about the rifle lights. You can get a streamlight polytac for like 35-40 bucks and it weighs very little and it runs for 65 hours on the low setting. The mft light seems totally pointless like most of the other mft products (they seem to specialize in terrible buis, mag couplers, overpriced keychain lights... the only tacticool brand available at your local walmart.

Click Boom
10-22-2015, 10:12 AM
http://www.malkoffdevices.com bestest

http://www.customlites.com better than average but a bit overpriced, in NC.

http://intl-outdoor.com/p60-c-143.html?zenid=1c368b9a89476395a5ab8b04641941bf good quality, better price, ships from china, not fast.

there are a TON of suppliers/makers, those three I've used and been happy with the hardware, there are plenty of others. Only Malkoff is truly weapon rated out of those three. His modules are darn near indestructible. IME if it survives a drop or shock or two to test it, any well assembled p60 will hold up to general use on a 5.56. There are guys on candlepowerforums that build p60's to spec and will pot and fill them to ruggedize em as well but they are usually getting close to the price of one of John M's by that time. oveready.com is a good place to go broke on flashlight stuff too.

CPF can be a bit hard to understand because of all the acronyms they use.... when you first go there it's like... "wat"

I am slowly starting to understand wtf they're talking about.

I know most ppl say you should commit to 81650's, but I am trying to build up a few solarforce that can use 123 primaries or 16340 rechargeable (of which I have quite a few).

I know malkoff is supposed to be the best, but was hoping to build like 3 or 4 budget setups to leave around the cars/house etc and can't justify malkoffs on all those.

Am I correct in that the Chinese drop in's you linked will not work with 2x primaries/16340's? Looks like their 2.9-4.5v range is too low?

Solarforce themselves has a few drop in's that are rated for higher 2x primary voltage, that are only like 15 bucks, have you ever used those?

I will say the machining on the new L2P model is really friggin nice. Can't get it to work, but it feels nice rofl. I probably should have just bought more cheap streamlights lol.

musketjon
10-22-2015, 10:43 AM
Not a damn thing.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-H0csJTGKtsk/UwlKMVWOieI/AAAAAAAAB-w/LUozSthb_Lw/s720-Ic42/AR.jpg

Absolutely Bee-you-tee-full. Man after my own heart. Less is DEFINATELY more.
Thank YOU, Sir for sharing that beautiful rifle.
Jon

ScottsBad
10-22-2015, 10:57 AM
Has anyone figured out how to attach stuff to their ghost gun? Everything I've tried just passes through it. Despite not being able to use any attachments, the rate of fire compensates very well. Finding assault clips can be difficult at times though.

?????????????? What is a ghost gun. Is that what Bill Murray used in Ghost Busters?

As far as lights go; There are a ton of different ways to attach them depending on the type of forearm you have. The light I like the best is the Surefire Scout, but I don't want to spend that kind of money on a light.

I've been using Fenix TK21 lights (they have different models of TK) with an 18650 battery for awhile. I'm trying to see how it will hold up. The mount I currently use is made by Arisaka and was designed for the Keymod system.

I like the design of the Elzetta single A123 battery light on paper, but have not had a opportunity to try one yet.

EDIT: I've had a very good experience with Fenix lights as handhelds, I have several, 5 IIRC, for a few years and have not had a single problem. But now I've mounted one on a rifle. Fenix says they are good to go for weapons mount and time will tell.

wolf_walker69
10-22-2015, 11:07 AM
CPF can be a bit hard to understand because of all the acronyms they use.... when you first go there it's like... "wat"

I am slowly starting to understand wtf they're talking about.

I know most ppl say you should commit to 81650's, but I am trying to build up a few solarforce that can use 123 primaries or 16340 rechargeable (of which I have quite a few).

I know malkoff is supposed to be the best, but was hoping to build like 3 or 4 budget setups to leave around the cars/house etc and can't justify malkoffs on all those.

Am I correct in that the Chinese drop in's you linked will not work with 2x primaries/16340's? Looks like their 2.9-4.5v range is too low?

Solarforce themselves has a few drop in's that are rated for higher 2x primary voltage, that are only like 15 bucks, have you ever used those?

I will say the machining on the new L2P model is really friggin nice. Can't get it to work, but it feels nice rofl. I probably should have just bought more cheap streamlights lol.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but I'd really, really just pony up and go 18650 rechargeables. I stuck with 123 primary, and still use them for critical applications, for a long time when I just had a 6P with a cheap dropin or whatever, but stepping up to the big batts really opened doors. There are some high volt p60's out there but they are much less common, I really don't know a ton about them honestly, it looked like a hassle though finding them. The solarforce hosts are really surprisingly nice, I have several and the machining is as good as you could ask for the money, better even. Never had one of their dropins but I suspect they are as good as any quality basic p60. It really is a lot to digest, I made a spreadsheet to keep track of it. :) That said, ....

http://www.illumn.com/eagletac-sportac-p60-dropin-nichia-219-for-surefire-hosts.html those guys are supposed to be pretty well made, might find them cheaper somewhere else online, rated to 9v, if you wanted something tuffer than a basic p60. I'm sure they are out there, just have to hunt.

fritztkatt
10-22-2015, 11:13 AM
Scotts... I'm making fun of DeLeon...

18650 batteries cold be a good choice these days. I already have like 8 of them because I vape. Don't they equal two cr123? Last time I got 18650's they were like $7/ea from the vape shop, but last quite a but unless I drop them, and even then, seem very durable. Typically it's the wrapper that gets messed up so I dispose of them as a safety thing.

Gryff
10-22-2015, 11:17 AM
Sling and flashlight are the most important, followed by optic. Furniture upgrades are way below these. Mags and ammo go without saying... or not; get lots of mags and ammo

Or save your money for ammo and shoot the crap out of it. Go mall ninja after you can qualify as Expert with the rifle.

mif_slim
10-22-2015, 1:09 PM
Where are all these folks with lights out on the range??!! I have yet to see a single person with light mounted on their weapon at the range. Maybe they take it off??but wouldnt it defeat the purpose of training with what you will use??

For OP question: Sling, Sights (Irons, RDS, scope, your pick).

stix213
10-22-2015, 1:35 PM
All my ARs have either a 2 point sling attached or a place to quickly attach a single point sling. All my ARs have a light, even if it is just a lightweight pistol light such as a tlr-3. All but my beowulf pistol upper have buis. Optics are nice to have but not required.

I've decided for myself flash hiders are useless. A brake is ok but unnecessary except for my beowulf upper (though I do run brakes on two other uppers that came pre-installed). Bipods are more weight than their are worth.

My primary defensive rifle is configured featureless with a thin barrel, 2 point sling, fixed irons only, pistol light, and thread protector. I think it is configured optimal for the type of place I would bug out to in the small chance I ever had to.

cockedandglocked
10-22-2015, 1:42 PM
Where are all these folks with lights out on the range??!! I have yet to see a single person with light mounted on their weapon at the range.

They're too busy clearing rooms

mif_slim
10-22-2015, 2:12 PM
Ikr, cockedandglocked.

wolf_walker69
10-22-2015, 2:26 PM
Where are all these folks with lights out on the range??!! I have yet to see a single person with light mounted on their weapon at the range. Maybe they take it off??but wouldnt it defeat the purpose of training with what you will use??

For OP question: Sling, Sights (Irons, RDS, scope, your pick).

Probably not in CA if I had to guess. Sitting at a bench is pretty boring with a typical red-dot'd AR. Lotsa other guns I'd rather shoot at a range.
Run n gun stuff is where the AR gets fun, but fixed 10rnd mags put a big dent in that too so yeah, not a lot in CA. Least not in public. Shame too, it's a heck of a lot of fun and good exercise ducking and diving and running and shooting. Especially at night, with a light. :)
I'd also be willing to bet some folks, at this point in the consumer arms race, un-tactical their weapon a bit for public viewing.

mif_slim
10-22-2015, 3:44 PM
I do a lot of run-n-gun and still dont see folks with lights... in carbine class is about same...but i havent taken any night classes which should be 100% participants with lights...maybe that is here all these guys with lights are at. HahA.

makinthemagic
10-22-2015, 5:08 PM
More ammo, especially if Gavin gets his way.
Geissele SSA trigger
Magpul flip up sights
Magpul STR stock
Magpul forward grip
Hogue pistol grip (for AR and AK's)

Probably a red dot sight but I don't have one yet.

jimsguns
10-22-2015, 9:41 PM
My favorite rifle attachment is a 30-round mag!