PDA

View Full Version : Ppt scam

glocklife34
10-07-2015, 1:43 PM
I sell l, buy and trades guns in years via ppt. But i though of this today. Can somebody really scam you via ppt if your buying a gun? Like stolen,not registered owner doing transfer etc.

Can seem to figure out if one person is doing PPT and they wanna scam people and all of their information will be expose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AreWeFree
10-07-2015, 2:15 PM
Nah, california is super smart, the system is bullet proof.
It's impossible to fake a drivers license to give false information, the finger prints from a photocopied image are totally ran against a criminal database, and only the owner has the physical power to sell the gun, other people can barely pick it up with the immense weight of all that responsibility... :rolleyes:

Seriously though, unless the gun is in a stolen firearm database, I see nothing to worry about.

dpop24
10-07-2015, 4:06 PM
I sell l, buy and trades guns in years via ppt. But i though of this today. Can somebody really scam you via ppt if your buying a gun? Like stolen,not registered owner doing transfer etc.

Can seem to figure out if one person is doing PPT and they wanna scam people and all of their information will be expose.

I've done lots of PPT and never had a problem - all have been with CG'ers though so that may be the reason my luck has been good.

You are correct in that all of your information being exposed. Since the DROS has your name address and CDL #, seller (if he requests a copy) and buyer each walk away with a good deal of personal information about the other person. Kinda scary.

Epaphroditus
10-07-2015, 4:12 PM
Think of it as removing guns from the hands of criminals! It's a good thing to buy guns from bad guys as that leaves them with less guns. Isn't that what all the progressives want?

Condorguns
10-07-2015, 4:32 PM
Actually the DROS system has the ability to print a buyer sheet, a seller sheet, and a FFL sheet. If your FFL is doing it correctly you will not be getting sensitive information about the other person involved in a PPT. Only the FFL will have all of the information.

hermosabeach
10-07-2015, 5:26 PM
yes

They can sell a stolen gun and take your cash....

And they most likely can be caught... based upon how they placed the ad...

Now if Kooter is walking around the gun show with a for sale sign on his backpack.... and you pay him and start the dros.... you might be SOL

PyroFox79
10-07-2015, 5:50 PM
Nah, california is super smart, the system is bullet proof.
It's impossible to fake a drivers license to give false information, the finger prints from a photocopied image are totally ran against a criminal database, and only the owner has the physical power to sell the gun, other people can barely pick it up with the immense weight of all that responsibility... :rolleyes:

Seriously though, unless the gun is in a stolen firearm database, I see nothing to worry about.

Actually a person with the gun owners power of attorney can sell the gun for them. I got my G26 this way. I had no issues.

jeffyhog
10-07-2015, 5:53 PM
Guys with stolen guns are more likely to sell cash to the scum they run with. Why risk using a fake ID and being caught on camera doing a dirty deal.
Another example that only the law abiding follow the law.

Jet Setter
10-07-2015, 5:55 PM
Crazily enough - that is what I was thinking last week when I bought a ridiculously expensive rifle (ridiculously expensive to my standards). Even though someone shows their license, they still walk away with your money. There is nothing to stop a potential problem until everything is ran through the system. In the end, you would still be without cash AND without product.

Bullitt01
10-07-2015, 6:29 PM
Crazily enough - that is what I was thinking last week when I bought a ridiculously expensive rifle (ridiculously expensive to my standards). Even though someone shows their license, they still walk away with your money. There is nothing to stop a potential problem until everything is ran through the system. In the end, you would still be without cash AND without product.

Very true!

Sapperforward
10-07-2015, 7:06 PM
I bought a nice shotgun private party in Tennessee back in 1999-2000. Paid cash. Two days later a couple Montgomery County Sheriffs came to my door asking if I had bought any firearms lately. I said, "I sure did, got a decent deal on a tactical shotgun". They asked me to produce it, one sheriff accompanied me to my safe. He checked the serial and than informed me that it had been stolen along with several other firearms from a personal collection of another Montgomery county Sheriff when his daughter had a party while daddy was out of town. They were super cool about the whole deal, didn't treat me like a criminal. I'm guessing the fact that I was active duty and in uniform at the time helped. They asked me to tell them who sold it to me, I was happy to. It was an acquaintance of an acquaintance of a neighbor. He had hung out at my place a few times and one day he stopped by and asked if I was interested in buying his shotgun. I never got a dime of my money back and never had to go to court over it either. I have no idea about the outcome of the case.

glocklife34
10-08-2015, 8:14 AM

So in short buying guns through PPT has always a risk especially seller that is not on calguns with 0 itrader.

But would any of you guys buy from a fellow calgunner which is a junior member last posted in marketplace few years back and now selling something but not literally selling it for himself but for a friend but didnt inform you until somebody call you and saying "its his friend posted it for him?" The gun was a good deal. Would you jump on it? This is base on my experience.

I Swan
10-08-2015, 8:18 AM
I bought a nice shotgun private party in Tennessee back in 1999-2000. Paid cash. Two days later a couple Montgomery County Sheriffs came to my door asking if I had bought any firearms lately. I said, "I sure did, got a decent deal on a tactical shotgun". They asked me to produce it, one sheriff accompanied me to my safe. He checked the serial and than informed me that it had been stolen along with several other firearms from a personal collection of another Montgomery county Sheriff when his daughter had a party while daddy was out of town. They were super cool about the whole deal, didn't treat me like a criminal. I'm guessing the fact that I was active duty and in uniform at the time helped. They asked me to tell them who sold it to me, I was happy to. It was an acquaintance of an acquaintance of a neighbor. He had hung out at my place a few times and one day he stopped by and asked if I was interested in buying his shotgun. I never got a dime of my money back and never had to go to court over it either. I have no idea about the outcome of the case.

Why did you let the sheriff in your home?

Sapperforward
10-08-2015, 9:16 AM
Why did you let the sheriff in your home?

Because although I have the right to deny him entry I chose not to. I saw no need to exercise my right at that time. They were polite, professional, respectful and trying to do their job. If I was going to be some kind of issue I wanted to get out in the open and fully disclose so I didn't create even bigger issues with my chain of command or have the situation misread like I was a prat of the crime. They asked if one of them could accompany me to my safe, not ordered. I could have shut the door at any time, up until I had let them in voluntarily. I don't want stolen firearms in my collection. Especially if they are stolen from a LEO. They didn't ask nor care about the rest of my firearms. Not to mention I was lower enlisted in a military town. One call to my chain of command and I would be getting barked at by my company E-8. I didn't want or need that hassle over a stolen firearm.

I don't feel the need to always challenge the police as some do. If they are polite and respectful so am I. If the request is reasonable to me I comply. If they approach in a rude manner I exercise my rights to the fullest extent.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

joemama
10-08-2015, 10:30 AM
Because although I have the right to deny him entry I chose not to. I saw no need to exercise my right at that time. They were polite, professional, respectful and trying to do their job. If I was going to be some kind of issue I wanted to get out in the open and fully disclose so I didn't create even bigger issues with my chain of command or have the situation misread like I was a prat of the crime. They asked if one of them could accompany me to my safe, not ordered. I could have shut the door at any time, up until I had let them in voluntarily. I don't want stolen firearms in my collection. Especially if they are stolen from a LEO. They didn't ask nor care about the rest of my firearms. Not to mention I was lower enlisted in a military town. One call to my chain of command and I would be getting barked at by my company E-8. I didn't want or need that hassle over a stolen firearm.

I don't feel the need to always challenge the police as some do. If they are polite and respectful so am I. If the request is reasonable to me I comply. If they approach in a rude manner I exercise my rights to the fullest extent.

Quit being so logical. You should have started loudly barking "AM I BEING DETAINED?"

Mayor McRifle
10-08-2015, 10:41 AM

Amen. Contrary to the internet propaganda put out by the Cop Block crowd, LEOs are not our enemies. In fact, most are on our side -- as gun owners and as law-abiding citizens.

Sapperforward
10-08-2015, 1:19 PM
Quit being so logical. You should have started loudly barking "AM I BEING DETAINED?"

LOL. Made me think of this. I love Randy Marsh.

https://chickenpotspy.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/im-sorry-i-thought-this-was-america-randy-marsh-south-park.jpg

stix213
10-08-2015, 1:47 PM
It would be a whole lot easier to steal a car and scam someone that way than go through the trouble of the fake ID's and doing it all likely on camera in front of an FFL. I think the risk is fairly low.

meno377
10-08-2015, 6:00 PM
I recently did a PPT with a CG member and purchased his firearm. According to a riverside deputy, the firearm was stolen from the seller, used in a crime for attempted murder, then returned to the seller.

He did not say anything to me when I purchased it. It is now in the hands of the Riverside Sheriff's department being used as evidence in a trial. According to the deputy, I should get it back in a couple of months.

I feel the seller should have disclosed this when he decided to post it in the marketplace that it was stolen and used for attempted murder, but apparently he doesn't feel the same way. Here is a link if you're interested in reading more about this. Here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1079466&highlight=purchased+firearm+crime)

GimpsUnlimited
10-08-2015, 6:34 PM
I recently did a PPT with a CG member and purchased his firearm. According to a riverside deputy, the firearm was stolen from the seller, used in a crime for attempted murder, then returned to the seller.

He did not say anything to me when I purchased it. It is now in the hands of the Riverside Sheriff's department being used as evidence in a trial. According to the deputy, I should get it back in a couple of months.

I feel the seller should have disclosed this when he decided to post it in the marketplace that it was stolen and used for attempted murder, but apparently he doesn't feel the same way. Here is a link if you're interested in reading more about this. Here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1079466&highlight=purchased+firearm+crime)

Wow, that was not nice at all. I hope you at least left a negative feedback as a warning to others.

meno377
10-08-2015, 6:43 PM
Wow, that was not nice at all. I hope you at least left a negative feedback as a warning to others.

I didn't because I didn't get a call from the sheriff's department for a couple of months.

If I get it back within a few months, I will be over it. If not or if for some reason I don't get it back at all, I may expose his username to warn others.