PDA

View Full Version : Permenantly affixed flash hider?

Booshanky
07-21-2008, 8:01 AM
I've got a CMMG 14.5 inch upper with a "permanently affixed" flash hider on the end of it.

I was at the range this weekend and this dude there was swearing up and down that it was only screwed in because he couldn't see a welded pin holding it in. I tried unscrewing it but it seems to be held in there pretty darn well. I couldn't get it to budge.

Anyone know how they affix the flash hider to the barrel?

Ballistic043
07-21-2008, 8:13 AM
just because he couldnt see it doesnt mean it wasnt there. CMMG has been permanently affixing flash hiders for years. trust me it will not come off easily

Booshanky
07-21-2008, 8:17 AM
Oh I'm sure it's fixed on there. I couldn't get it off and I'm pretty sure a company of their stature doesn't go around willy nilly shipping <16 inch barrels to average joes like me.

I'm just curious as to how they fix the flash hider on there.

Casual Observer
07-21-2008, 8:21 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/318Z6NS2VJL._AA280_.jpg

:cool:

Harbinger
07-21-2008, 8:23 AM
Randall of AR15barrels does a similarly awesome job. You'd never notice that it's permanent, unless you knew what you were looking for. For the record, they're pinned and welded, then bead-blasted and parkerized.

Mike

Ballistic043
07-21-2008, 8:27 AM
well, to answer your question . the last CMMG i held was pinned and welded. and unless they have changed it is probably still this method. it is somewhat hard to see unless you know what to look for as mentioned above.

like i said :) they've been doing it for a while, so they end up doing a really good job!

Jicko
07-21-2008, 8:30 AM
I've got a CMMG 14.5 inch upper with a "permanently affixed" flash hider on the end of it.

I was at the range this weekend and this dude there was swearing up and down that it was only screwed in because he couldn't see a welded pin holding it in. I tried unscrewing it but it seems to be held in there pretty darn well. I couldn't get it to budge.

Anyone know how they affix the flash hider to the barrel?

I generally don't think I need to "prove" myself to some random dude @ a shooting range... even if it is a range employee, it is none of their business to "make sure" what my firearms are or are not....

bwiese
07-21-2008, 8:38 AM
CMMG ain't gonna sell a shorty bbl that gets 'em (and customers) in BATF trouble.

It's just finished nicely.

Resume shooting.

Booshanky
07-21-2008, 9:42 AM
I generally don't think I need to "prove" myself to some random dude @ a shooting range... even if it is a range employee, it is none of their business to "make sure" what my firearms are or are not....

He was just some guy who was shooting the breeze with me about my gun. He wasn't really being a jerk about it, just concerned that my rifle might not be legal, saying there was a cop there yesterday looking at guns etc. I told him I've got a lawyer and I've got full confidence that my gun is legal.

I was just curious as to how they make the flash hider permenant. I assumed it was a weld job because I could see a little warbled area on the bottom of the flash hider. I just didn't think they'd go to all the trouble of pinning, welding it, and then parkerizing.

I'm really pleased with the quality of their work. That kind of attention to detail is nice to see.

workinwifdakids
07-21-2008, 12:13 PM
For range nannies

Option 1: "Ehh? I can't hear you! THESE EAR MUFFS WORK REALLY WELL! YOU SHOULD TRY SOME!"

Option 2: "No hablo ingles."

sloguy
07-21-2008, 12:31 PM

some range officers arent asking cause they are power tripping, many times they are finding out what you have cause they are worried about you and are trying to help you stay up to date on whats kosher. cut range officers some slack, alot of times they save some uninformed dingleberrys butt by looking at what they are shooting and letting them know whats what.

on the other hand, some(not all, or even most) range officers are jerks and need to be told to mind their own business.

aplinker
07-21-2008, 12:33 PM
For range nannies

Option 1: "Ehh? I can't hear you! THESE EAR MUFFS WORK REALLY WELL! YOU SHOULD TRY SOME!"

Option 2: "No hablo ingles."

Are there people in CA who don't speak spanish at least a little? I really doubt #2 would work.

Anyways yeah blind pinned and welded.

Here's a pic from Randall's website:
http://ar15barrels.com/gfx/perm-attach.jpg

That little warble is where it was drilled, had the pin inserted and then welded over. It would then be ground and refinished.

eric1972
07-21-2008, 1:38 PM
Randall just pinned and welded a Phantom brake on a 14.5 M4 upper for me last week, and you can't even tell where he did it after he buffed it out! His work is outstanding! I'll be damned if anyone tried to torque off my welded brake to see if it's pinned either!!!

shark92651
07-21-2008, 1:41 PM
LOL @ "range nannies" :D