PDA

View Full Version : Is ACT trigger worth $30 over PSA Enhanced?

Mikey von
09-19-2015, 1:11 PM
Looking to finish off my first build. What was a budget build has turned into more of a value build. I picked up a PSA 16" premium upper with a FN CHF mid length gas barrel and MOE hand guards here on the classifieds.

I am wondering if it is worth an extra $30 to purchase a PSA MOE LPK with the ALG ACT trigger ($99) over the PSA Defender MOE (enhanced FCG) LPK ($69)?

mtenenhaus
09-19-2015, 1:22 PM
I think it probably is a good option. I have that set up and its an improvement over the stock trigger. While it doesn't compare to some of the more expensive cassette options out there, with the addition of the inexpensive 4lb spring from JP it proves a good value.

Munny$hot
09-19-2015, 1:37 PM
The ACT is a well made product and I have never used a PSA enhanced. If I had to buy either without trying the PSA enhanced I'd spend the extra 30 and go with the ACT just on reputation alone.

CenCalHobbist
09-19-2015, 5:36 PM
I used the LPK with the ACT trigger. No regrets at all.

I think if you were to buy the trigger separately its more than $30.

Click Boom
09-19-2015, 6:30 PM
I got an alg qms lpk from them for 60 bucks. Also have a couple regular psa lpks, they are all very similar. By that logic the defender is probably pretty similar to the act (they're both NiB coated, right?) As mentioned, the JP yellow springs reduce pull weight quite a bit. ALG triggers are to the same spec as "mil spec semi auto" triggers (this is an oxymoron) but they're supposed to be almost exactly the same from unit to unit, whereas other manufacturers of fcgs supposedly don't have the same exacting tolerances. That's the idea at least. Some (even high end) manufacturers have somewhat inconsistent feel from fcg to fcg. DD comes to mind. I love their stuff but I have felt some gritty as hell DD fcgs.

I have only heard good things about the defender fcgs, but that's all on the internet and a sample size of like 2, they haven't been out that long. I believe either choice would be fine. As is qms or regular psa lpk. Hopefully more people with experience with the defender fcg can chime in.

Ki6vsm
09-19-2015, 6:50 PM
It might be hit and miss on these ALG triggers. My experience is that I bought the ACT trigger and put in one AR. For a mil-spec type trigger it's amazing. No creep or grit or anything even remotely like that. Just a little movement, like compressing a small spring, then CLICK (or BOOM). It kind of reminds me of a Glock trigger but with a much shorter throw. For a single stage-trigger I really love it. Not a precision target trigger of course, but a great trigger. Breaks clean at about 6-6.5#.

Then I got the QMS trigger for another lower, hoping it'd be at least nearly the same. It's not. It's terrible! Very gritty. I'd be surprised if it had seen any inspection at all, let alone the "blueprinting" they supposedly do. My polishing of the contact surfaces helped, but I still don't like it. It's not even as good as my Colt's 40 year old factory SP-1 trigger. That QMS trigger now sits in its little zip lock bag as a second-string spare trigger.

wireless
09-19-2015, 7:01 PM
The PSA defender kit has a trigger that's pretty much exactly the same thing as the act trigger. I can't tell the difference.

palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/parts-kits/psa-defender-moe-lower-parts-kit.html

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
09-19-2015, 7:21 PM
Save yourself some $$$ and just polish the contact area on your standard trigger.

Mikey von
09-20-2015, 7:53 AM
Thanks for all of the advice. I went ahead a purchased an ALG ACT fcg with lighter springs here on Calguns. Now I need a LPK (w/o fcg), stock and buffer, and a rear sight.

Hyperion
09-20-2015, 8:58 AM
I would spend $20 more and get this. I have both the ALG ACT w/JP springs and the "Blue" trigger. The blue trigger is much lighter and crisp.

http://www.jsesurplus.com/ar15lowerpartskitwithdrop-in35lbtrigger.aspx

Mikey von
09-20-2015, 9:01 AM
I would spend $20 more and get this.

http://www.jsesurplus.com/ar15lowerpartskitwithdrop-in35lbtrigger.aspx

That does look nice. I have already dsent my paypal. Maybe on the next one! :gunsmilie::thumbsup:

Hyperion
09-20-2015, 9:10 AM
Since the trigger alone is $95 and the kit is $120. Basically you are paying $25 for the LPK w/o FCG.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1109764

http://youtu.be/mbO7bVYkpBc

KillZone45
09-20-2015, 11:02 PM
Geissele. End of story.

flhxxx
09-21-2015, 10:34 PM
Geissele. End of story.

Wilson TTU the next chapter of the story ;)

I like Geissele too, just giving you crap.

The current ALG ACT sold at midway for $65 with a purple 4.5 lb spring... I got two on order for some budget builds I am working on... Sounds promising.

liber
09-21-2015, 11:14 PM
I recently upgraded 2 ARs with Velocity 3lb. triggers. $135/ea shipped to my door with anti-walk stainless pins. Couldn't be happier.

http://www.wcarmory.com/velocity-trigger-velo1-ar-15-drop-in-3lb-curved.htm

G21Shooter
09-22-2015, 6:04 PM
The ACT is worth it by far over mil spec, no question.

Redneck Geek
09-23-2015, 8:51 AM
I replaced a stock PSA trigger with the cheapest ALG and it's better. I'd assume the ACT would be a lot better.

Now I need to get one to make sure!

G21Shooter
09-23-2015, 9:49 AM
I replaced a stock PSA trigger with the cheapest ALG and it's better. I'd assume the ACT would be a lot better.

Now I need to get one to make sure!

I put a ALG ACT in my CMMG .22 lr AR build and its much easier to shoot faster than the mil spec trigger. Makes the gun much more fun to shoot.

All ALG products are a real high value.