PDA

View Full Version : AK and AK mag. recommendations

elk hunter
09-17-2015, 4:48 PM
I will soon be in the market for a semi-auto AK47 type rifle and a bag full of magazines for that rifle, it all depends on what the doctor tells me in November. Recommendations for both, best bang for the buck.

Thanks
elk hunter

oc16
09-17-2015, 4:52 PM
get an saiga izhmash ak47 or a chinese norinco if you have the cash that is the golden standard. For magazine you are out of luck most plastic crap out there wont fit the ak without getting a nail file and shaving some of the plastic to make them fit. if your broke w.asr 10's are not a bad choice

sintax
09-17-2015, 5:30 PM
you really dont mention a budget.

$400 - put the money in a shoebox and save for the $600 option
$600 - WASR (or PAP, but i dont really personally like the yugos)
$1000+ - Arsenal SGL or other properly converted saiga.

Thats about how i see the options these days. Sure you can convert or build, but thats likely out of his skill set.

As far as mags go, only buy mil surplus mags, cheap and really the only thing that is guaranteed to run well (hungarian, bulgarian, romanian, russian)

jmf_tracy
09-17-2015, 5:49 PM
Arsenal SAM7SF
Circle 10 magazines

I will soon be in the market for a semi-auto AK47 type rifle and a bag full of magazines for that rifle, it all depends on what the doctor tells me in November. Recommendations for both, best bang for the buck.

Thanks
elk hunter

beanz2
09-17-2015, 6:02 PM
For magazine you are out of luck most plastic crap out there wont fit the ak without getting a nail file and shaving some of the plastic to make them fit. if your broke

Note where he is, Montana.

Plenty of top shelf "plastic crap" magazines he can get out there. Bulgarian Circle 10, Russian Bakelites, and someday, Magpul Gen M3, to mention a few.

Hope the doctor will have good news for you in November, elk hunter!

Wes C Addle
09-17-2015, 6:13 PM
look into "plastic crap" circle 10 waffle mags

gwgn02
09-17-2015, 6:47 PM

Thanks
elk hunter

Best bang for the buck.

WASR
OPAP
RWC SAIGA

Get you some steel 10/30 Romanian, Polish, Yugo...whatever www.Jesticearms.com

Buy a case of Golden Tiger at SgAmmo.

Go shoot.

Ak74dude
09-17-2015, 6:49 PM
Best bang for the buck is the current wasrs that you can find on atlantic. Reasonably priced and made at a factory thats made mitary aks since the 60s.

The post a ove abt getting an izhmash is a great peice of advice. Saigas abd converted saigas are top quakity aks made in a factory that made the REAL ak since the 40s continues to do so to this day.

Arsenal of Bulgaria makes some of he finest AKs this planets ever seen so thats a great option.

There are so many great options out there, just make sure you get a quality factory made foreign AK or a kit build done right. Dont settle for less. And by the way, a lot of times, less actually costs more. these american made or assembled guns cost more than a WASR that was made in a factory overseas. Just food for thought.

beanz2
09-17-2015, 7:56 PM
Get you some steel 10/30 Romanian, Polish, Yugo...whatever www.Jesticearms.com

LOL, once again, start thinking outside of the CA box. Unlike us, he is a free man in a free state.

Best bang for the buck is the current wasrs that you can find on atlantic. Reasonably priced and made at a factory thats made mitary aks since the 60s.

The post a ove abt getting an izhmash is a great peice of advice. Saigas abd converted saigas are top quakity aks made in a factory that made the REAL ak since the 40s continues to do so to this day.

Arsenal of Bulgaria makes some of he finest AKs this planets ever seen so thats a great option.

There are so many great options out there, just make sure you get a quality factory made foreign AK or a kit build done right. Dont settle for less. And by the way, a lot of times, less actually costs more. these american made or assembled guns cost more than a WASR that was made in a factory overseas. Just food for thought.

American built AK's such as Definitive Arms DAK4150, Rifle Dynamics RD70x, etc. may just rival or exceed the quality of a foreign built AK. I wouldn't summarily rule those out.

elk hunter, even if you can find local shops that carry AK's, their selection can rarely match what you can find online. If you have to lay your hands on a rifle before you buy one, some traveling may be needed. I have been impressed by the AK rifle selection that Las Vegas offers, but it may not be very close for you.

Ak74dude
09-17-2015, 8:37 PM
If they used chf com bloc barrels i would agree but without that its tough to give them the nod over the commie guns.

Now im not saying the barrels wont be ok. Im saying theyre not better.

gwgn02
09-17-2015, 9:05 PM
LOL, once again, start thinking outside of the CA box. Unlike us, he is a free man in a free state.

American built AK's such as Definitive Arms DAK4150, Rifle Dynamics RD70x, etc. may just rival or exceed the quality of a foreign built AK. I wouldn't summarily rule those out.

elk hunter, even if you can find local shops that carry AK's, their selection can rarely match what you can find online. If you have to lay your hands on a rifle before you buy one, some traveling may be needed. I have been impressed by the AK rifle selection that Las Vegas offers, but it may not be very close for you.

Didn't notice his location Chief.

BigPimping
09-17-2015, 9:53 PM
I have an SAR1. They are somewhat difficult to acquire, but if one ever comes up I strongly recommend purchasing it

hellayella
09-18-2015, 9:33 PM
www.jestice arms.com

230infantry
09-19-2015, 9:04 AM
I'd personally recommend the pmag if you want cheap and reliable magazines. But if you like the classic look, steel mags all the way. Just be sure to watch your feet when doing speed reload drills, those metal mags hurt when they hit your feet.

rockstar
09-19-2015, 5:44 PM
I'd recommend surplus comm block steel mags. For around $600 budget, go for a WASR or PAP. Good Luck

stormvet
09-19-2015, 7:12 PM
As far as mags go, I've never bought an AK mag that hasn't worked and worked well. I have Chinese steel, Bulgarian steel, magpul and yes even the Tapco mags have worked 100% in the two Romanian and one Chinese Ak I have owned.