PDA

View Full Version : 1911 magazine base failure

smle-man
09-12-2015, 7:45 PM
I was shooting my Colt series 80 today. After the third time around with the same magazine the pistol started to misfeed as if the magazine wasn't locked in place. I tapped the base a couple of times but the magazine was fully seated. I ejected the loaded magazine and then saw that the magazine base of the GI magazine was half detached from the magazine body. As I unloaded the magazine the base finished separating and popped off the body. I've had the magazine for a number of years and put a good amount of rounds through it.

Never saw this sort of thing happen before, even in the Army where magazines were abused just about every way possible!

Guess this is what happens when the lowest bidder gets the contract. Another reason to have plenty of magazines on hand.

Carcassonne
09-13-2015, 8:09 AM
I was shooting my Colt series 80 today. After the third time around with the same magazine the pistol started to misfeed as if the magazine wasn't locked in place. I tapped the base a couple of times but the magazine was fully seated. I ejected the loaded magazine and then saw that the magazine base of the GI magazine was half detached from the magazine body. As I unloaded the magazine the base finished separating and popped off the body. I've had the magazine for a number of years and put a good amount of rounds through it.

Never saw this sort of thing happen before, even in the Army where magazines were abused just about every way possible!

Guess this is what happens when the lowest bidder gets the contract. Another reason to have plenty of magazines on hand.

I think the base of the GI magazine is held on with 4 spot-welds. If they hit concrete a few times, they will probably come loose.

9mmepiphany
09-13-2015, 5:35 PM
1911 magazines should be considered a consumable item...like brake pads on a car. When they go bad just throw them away