PDA

View Full Version : sig 556

nonfactor
07-16-2008, 4:01 PM
Hey guys, I recently purchased a sig 556 from Cold War Shooters in Highland CA. Now, this is my first rifle and what I wanted to know is that, is this gun legal in CA. I know they wouldn't sell it unless it was legal, but I called a bunch of stores here in the LA county area for sig 556 rails, and alot, probably 4 of the 7 stores I called, said the sig 556 is illegal in CA.

So what I want to know is did i make the right decision buying this gun? Or is it gonna cost me, now or in the near future. Thanks.

Toolbox X
07-16-2008, 4:04 PM
I'm not sure that rifle is good for you to own if you don't understand what is legal and what is not. You are going to get yourself in trouble.

BigKevLA
07-16-2008, 4:11 PM
I think you might want to sell me that rifle to take the burden off of you.:chris:

dfletcher
07-16-2008, 4:19 PM
Hey guys, I recently purchased a sig 556 from Cold War Shooters in Highland CA. Now, this is my first rifle and what I wanted to know is that, is this gun legal in CA. I know they wouldn't sell it unless it was legal, but I called a bunch of stores here in the LA county area for sig 556 rails, and alot, probably 4 of the 7 stores I called, said the sig 556 is illegal in CA.

So what I want to know is did i make the right decision buying this gun? Or is it gonna cost me, now or in the near future. Thanks.

Having seen the 556s that CWS sells in CA, I'd say (and am hoping) yours has a 10 round fixed magazine, probably the standard AR "Bullet Button". If it does you're fine. A standard Sig 556 with a detacheable magaine, whether 10 or more, is a no no in CA unless the gun is without a pistol grip and without a flash hider. As a general answer the response of the gun stores as applied to the "uncaliforniacated" 556 is accurate, but given all the OLLs they should have asked a few basic questions to give an accurate response.

And yes you'll get in trouble - by buying all sorts of odds & ends to slap on the rifle and your wife will get PO'd and your kids will go hungry and after you do all that - you'll decide you really want a FAL or an XCR or an M1A or ..............

But as mentioned, with this rifle you definitely want to learn CA AW laws pretty well.

Toolbox X
07-16-2008, 4:32 PM
http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

caduckgunner
07-16-2008, 4:34 PM
So you bought a gun that your not sure is legal? WTF??

nonfactor
07-16-2008, 4:44 PM
What I ment was that to my knowledge I know its legal. But when I called those stores it kind of stuck in my mind. It does have a BB installed and a 10 round mag.

apbrian112
07-16-2008, 4:47 PM
A standard Sig 556 with a detacheable magaine, whether 10 or more, is a no no in CA unless the gun is without a pistol grip and without a flash hider. or forward grip or collapsible stock

just thought i'd add... but to the OP, definately read and reread the flowchart til you are 100% positive that you have not assembled/purchased (although CWS would never sell a firearm in an illegal configuration) and AW. you may have to explain to LEO that what you have is 100% legal.

this scenario is no bueno:
leo: hey you, that looks like an assault rifle. do you have a permit for that?
you: ummm... well... i bought it... um...
leo: let's take a ride, you have the right to remain silent, etc. etc.

this is what you wanna say:
leo: hey you, that looks like an assault rifle. do you have a permit for that?
you: negative, no permit is needed since this rifle has been configured in accordance with CA's AW laws. the magazine can only hold 10 rounds and is fixed to the rifle and cannot be removed without the use of a tool.
leo: that's kind of cool... where'd you find out about that? (this is in fantasyland)
you: on calguns.net of course... your one stop shop for all info related to CA firearms.

ok... well something like that...

apbrian112
07-16-2008, 4:49 PM
What I ment was that to my knowledge I know its legal. But when I called those stores it kind of stuck in my mind. It does have a BB installed and a 10 round mag.

that's just the misinformed gun stores spreading as much FUD as possible... plenty of dealers who are informed to supply you with as much SIG/AR15/OLL goodness to deplete all your funds. :D

check out the contributing vendors at the top of the page as well as in the vendors forums.

nonfactor
07-16-2008, 4:52 PM
Thanks guys for the info. But one thing, I am reading that flow chart, and the sig 556 isnt listed? Does it have to be the exact model? Or does it just have to be a sig? Also .50 is a 50 caliber rifle rite?

apbrian112
07-16-2008, 4:54 PM
it was never listed because the sig 556 wasn't out yet...

nonfactor
07-16-2008, 5:00 PM
oh ok.. So just to confirm. The sig 556 I bought is legal in CA, because it is installed with a bullet button, and a 10 round fixed mag. and thanks for the info apbrian, im new to this forum, and rifles overall. :)

I have been reading about the gun laws in california, and know that in order to own a ar15 or ak, and have it still look like a ar or ak, it has to have a bullet button and 10 round fixed mag. But certain dealers like turners think the bullet button does not make these kind of rifles legal. Its like walking a tight rope between legal and illegal.

nonfactor
07-16-2008, 5:04 PM
also since the sig 556 isnt listed. If it was to be listed would it be under A?

dfletcher
07-16-2008, 5:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher
A standard Sig 556 with a detacheable magaine, whether 10 or more, is a no no in CA unless the gun is without a pistol grip and without a flash hider, or forward grip or collapsible stock

just thought i'd add... but to the OP, definately read and reread the flowchart til you are 100% positive that you have not assembled/purchased (although CWS would never sell a firearm in an illegal configuration) and AW. you may have to explain to LEO that what you have is 100% legal.

Right - I should have added that, was referencing only the parts the 556 came with as opposed to the add ons.