PDA

View Full Version : So I was in Big 5 yesterday...

07-12-2008, 5:48 PM
I know , I know, but I saw a Mossberg 12 gauge with a thumbhole stock. :eek:

Please educate me as to why anyone would want that kind of punishment? While I guess I could see it for birdshot without too much pain, it wouldn't really work for aerial shooting. For slugs or Buck shot I think it would not be pleasant at all.

E. Fudd
07-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Marketed to turkey hunters as being more comfortable to hold, while waiting for hours and hours and hours for that big turkey to walk by.

From Remington's website:
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_870/model_870_sPS-T_camo_thumbhole.asp

"The pump action shotgun features a thumbhole-style, laminated stock with palm swell and wide fore-end for a more steady, rifle-like shot placement and greater comfort while waiting for that wary longbeard to appear."

I guess deemed more P.C. that a pistol grip.

At least Benelli offers a turkey gun with a real pistol grip:
http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/large/sbe2TurkeyPGApg12Ga.jpg

See? There IS a sporting purpose for pistol grips... ;)

1lostinspace
07-12-2008, 10:19 PM
Last time I was at Big 5 they told me they don't carry .223 rifles because it's not a popular round I could not help but laugh.

76231b
07-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Last time I was at Big 5 they told me they don't carry .223 rifles because it's not a popular round I could not help but laugh.

Even if they did carry it they would charge you a dollar+ a round.

WallyGeorge
07-13-2008, 9:47 AM
I know , I know, but I saw a Mossberg 12 gauge with a thumbhole stock. :eek:

Please educate me as to why anyone would want that kind of punishment? While I guess I could see it for birdshot without too much pain, it wouldn't really work for aerial shooting. For slugs or Buck shot I think it would not be pleasant at all.

Not at all true!!! I thought the same thing until I shot one, and it feels sooo much better than a standard stock with higher recoil loads (buckshot and slugs). Most of the recoil should be transferred to your shoulder, so a thumbhole is not a problem.

5150Marcelo
07-13-2008, 9:51 AM
I was in Big 5 a couple weex ago... they had the 50 round valu-pack of Remingon .223 mislabled for $8.99 a box. They had 15 boxes left. I cleaned them out!:43:
It was a good day!

shellyzsweet
07-13-2008, 11:44 AM
while big 5 is a nice place to find some good deals on guns and occasionally ammo....their staff training is in my opinion sub-par. I used to work there and when a manager didn't have the answer they would basically blow off the person and I would come along and do my best to help them, or they would make something up.

DrunkSkunk
07-13-2008, 11:46 AM
I was in Big 5 a couple weex ago... they had the 50 round valu-pack of Remingon .223 mislabled for $8.99 a box. They had 15 boxes left. I cleaned them out!:43:
It was a good day!

Damn lucky dog you.

1lostinspace
07-13-2008, 11:49 AM
while big 5 is a nice place to find some good deals on guns and occasionally ammo....their staff training is in my opinion sub-par. I used to work there and when a manager didn't have the answer they would basically blow off the person and I would come along and do my best to help them, or they would make something up.

Sounds about right, I had some idiot tell me that 45 does not kill as good as the 9mm because it lacks penetration. I looked at him and said what is wrong with you?:eek:

shellyzsweet
07-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Sounds about right, I had some idiot tell me that 45 does not kill as good as the 9mm because it lacks penetration. I looked at him and said what is wrong with you?:eek:

yea....they are more concerned with numbers and sales than anything. I have seen people walk out because they wanted to buy a gun and waited like 15 minutes for help and the managers would never come over and help them....they were "busy in shoes" or "in snowboards" or whatever. Basically if you want a gun for 50 bucks less, go there, if you want to support gun shops and get good information...go to your local gun shop. PLUS the people there are generally very knowledgeable and you can hang out and listen to some older guys talk and learn more!
-I strive to support my local gun shop as much as possible

Saigon1965
07-13-2008, 11:59 AM
We should have a Big 5 section. :cool:

07-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Not at all true!!! I thought the same thing until I shot one, and it feels sooo much better than a standard stock with higher recoil loads (buckshot and slugs). Most of the recoil should be transferred to your shoulder, so a thumbhole is not a problem.

That's interesting, I would've thought the opposite. You're right about the shoulder taking the recoil, I guess I just thought of that thing slamming my thumb back. We used to have to shoot from the hip for qualifications and I guess that's what I was thinking off.

shellyzsweet
07-13-2008, 12:35 PM
That's interesting, I would've thought the opposite. You're right about the shoulder taking the recoil, I guess I just thought of that thing slamming my thumb back. We used to have to shoot from the hip for qualifications and I guess that's what I was thinking off.

that seems kind of silly to me personally. what dept. did/do you work for??