PDA

View Full Version : Decent NV Goggles?

Svetlana
07-10-2015, 12:33 PM
Can anyone recommend a decent night vision goggle or monocular that is good for close range (seeing where you are walking at night) and up to 10m range?

I'm looking for something in the $250 to $350 range, with IR illuminator, and I'm not sure if I can find one that cheap but still be decently useable.

It is not to be mounted or used with any gun/rifle btw.

Also, if should I ever have to use it for HD at night, and should I ever have to use it with, say a gun (not mounted), is that legal in CA?

fighter4cage
07-18-2015, 8:31 AM
night vision goggle or monocular that has good clarity and "good depth perception for walking" for $250-$350?

I do not think it can be done for that. Remember, Tripping or blowing out your back or knee hiking at night can really cause you a life time of problems.... You might want to reevaluate your $$ level if this is your intended purpose.

I have walked/hiked at night (Military) and even hunted with NVG's.
The big problem is "Depth perception" LACK OF IT causes you to miss that next step on the rock when crossing streams at night, or stepping into that hole and throwing your back out.
Also you need the ability to see "clear enough" in dense woods , so you do not trip over vines and small twigs ect... Using an "IR light" helps big time with this.
Having said all this, I do not think you will find anything even near that performance in your price range..
I would say you might be looking for a PVS14 Monocular, Gen 3 prefered, But you need to add another Zero to your budget.

With NVG equipment you get what you pay for $$ ... I wish prices would come down, but they just seem to hold tight over the years, especially with anything Mil-spec

OpticsPlanet
07-21-2015, 8:13 AM
I would definitely save up a few more dollars and look at the Armasight Spark Core. (http://www.opticsplanet.com/armasight-opmod-spark-core-limited-edition-night-vision-monocular.html) It's leaps and bounds better than pretty much any other Gen 1 unit and still isn't going to break the bank for you.

Michael C.

Trakker
08-02-2015, 6:01 PM
How does the armasight perform for eyeglass wearers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brando
08-02-2015, 6:36 PM
You're not going to get anything but crap with that budget.

P5Ret
08-02-2015, 6:50 PM
Listen to what has been already stated, do some serious research. Using NVG's while shooting is problematic at best unless you have the latest and greatest gen, even then a IR laser mounted on your gun is almost necessary to score hits. It's about the one thing the movies get right about gun's and NV gear.

Cokebottle
08-02-2015, 6:57 PM
Also, if should I ever have to use it for HD at night, and should I ever have to use it with, say a gun (not mounted), is that legal in CA?
Only restriction I am aware of is it is not legal to hunt with any kind of active illumination NV.

No prohibition on self defense.