PDA

View Full Version : SBS Browning?

gunrun45
06-27-2008, 8:45 AM
OK.
So lets say the following happened...
You have your C&R FFL, COE and have aquired a Browning Belgium A5 semi auto shotgun on your C&R license. You have verified that the gun is serviceable but not in the best condition.

You want to SBS it.

What the heck do you do next to have a legal C&R SBS shotgun here in the great republic of CA :rolleyes:

I have read the other threads and I'm interested in picking your brains about this particular shotgun and legal circumstances.:D

StukaJr
06-27-2008, 9:32 AM
You want to SBS an A5, like an Bonnie and Clyde's "Whippit Gun"?

Can't help you on the Legal matter, but shortening A5 barrel may affect its function in reliability - I've heard that shortening the barrel to legal length already requires finessing the friction rings...

ke6guj
06-27-2008, 10:50 AM
transfer the A5 to your trust. Have your trust fill out a Form 1 for an SBS. Your C&R FFL and COE do not help you in this.

Send in the following:

2 copies of Form 1 , ATF F 5320.1
1 copy of Declaration of Trust
1 copy of Schedule A
1 copy of Certification of Compliance, ATF F 5330.20
$200 check

Wait 2-3 months and receive an approved Form 1 for an SBS.

gunrun45
06-28-2008, 1:34 PM
Do I have to go the trust route or can I just register it to myself?
I noticed that form 1 is not available for download right now... Ordered anyway!

Thanks in advance to everyone so far.

ke6guj
06-28-2008, 1:38 PM
If you can get your CLEO to sign the Form 1, then you can do it under your name. If not, do the trust.

gunrun45
06-28-2008, 1:50 PM
Got ya.
Now I've gotta figure out the trust thing...
Any info on a simple "how to" for a trust?

ke6guj
06-28-2008, 2:01 PM
Make sure you read and understand the info in this thread, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=82693

Simple "how to" for a trust would be, hire a lawyer to write it up for you or use Quicken Willmaker and follow the directions.

gunrun45
06-28-2008, 2:39 PM
Thanks for the info!

I read the thread several times over but was specifically uncertain how semi auto shotguns would be effected vs pump or other single action types.
I think I've got it now.

Mike

ke6guj
06-28-2008, 2:48 PM
With Semi-auto shotguns, you just need to make sure you don't stray into the shotgun AW regs.

(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
(A) A folding or telescoping stock.
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.
(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.

gunrun45
06-28-2008, 9:57 PM
Overall length still needs to be 26inches to be CA legal, right?

ke6guj
06-28-2008, 10:19 PM
If you have an NFA registered C&R SBS, then you are exempt from 12020. 12020 is where the 18" barrel / 26" OAL length is specified. So, if 12020 does not apply, then those minimum measurements don't apply.

Just be aware, a NFA registered C&R SBS is only exempt from 12020. All other penal codes sections would still apply. So, since it is semi-auto, you have to make sure you don't accidently violate the AW regs. So, you have to make sure it doesn't violate the shotgun AW regs, and I personally think that if the barrel is less than 16", it meets the CA definition of a pistol, and must comply with the pistol AW regs as well.

But a tube-fed magazine shouldn't be considered detachable, so on the pistol side you only have to worry about (5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds. . And that shouldn't be a problem.