PDA

View Full Version : Question about trigger mittens.

DonaldBabbett
05-19-2015, 9:28 PM
Do US army issue trigger mittens by design permit a pistol or revolver to be drawn from a holster and fired easily?

How about even with the wool insert liners inside the mitten shells?

P5Ret
05-19-2015, 9:34 PM
Probably not. If I'm not mistaken sidearms are not general issue anyway.

bsg
05-19-2015, 9:34 PM
trigger mittens tend to be oversized and clumsy, even when properly fitted. if anything, it is the wool inserts that bring shape to the mittens; YMMV.

Tok36
05-19-2015, 9:46 PM
I only know one thing about trigger mittens, that i like the the words "trigger mittens".

whipkiller
05-19-2015, 10:28 PM
I only know one thing about trigger mittens, that i like the the words "trigger mittens".

I didn't even know there was such a thing, and now all my guns want trigger mittens.

"I'm cold, can I have trigger mittens?"

DonaldBabbett
05-19-2015, 10:29 PM
Probably not. If I'm not mistaken sidearms are not general issue anyway.

Officers, MPs, aviators and medics usually carry pistols in army.

Will the standard army leather work gloves and wool inserts work for pistols?

I have only fired M16 rifles with work gloves donned in cold weather on the range as an American soldier myself. Do handgun trigger guards usually have less clearance than rifle trigger guards?

Would standard mil-spec work gloves work for firing a 45 or a Smith and Wesson small or medium frame revolver?

Should I opt for a good pair of civilian shooting gloves instead?

I need functional shooting gloves for hot or cold weather that are also durable: can be worn hunting, hiking, camping or at the range.

I am not looking for recoil protection so much but rather hand protection in cold weather from the elements that still facilitates easy shooting.

Gloves should also be waterproof.

NapalmCheese
05-19-2015, 10:49 PM
I am not looking for recoil protection so much but rather hand protection in cold weather from the elements that still facilitates easy shooting.

Sooooooo....
Go to REI, Home Depot, or some other place that sells gloves; find ones with the features you're interested in (warm enough and waterproof); and buy them.

I have a pair of North Face softshell gloves that are mostly windproof, mostly water resistant, mostly tactile enough, mostly warm enough. I've not shot with them, they are just my general outdoor gloves.

Actually, I might have shot a deer while wearing them. Or I might have been wearing a pair of fleece gloves, or no gloves. They might have been knit gloves. I don't remember, I've shot both deer and ducks with no gloves, knit gloves, fleece gloves, or softshell gloves, depending on the weather and what I happened to have on hand (punny!).

Maybe leather gloves too.

I've never shot a handgun with gloves though.

Oh, I've shot ducks while wearing camo, thinsulate, waterproof ski gloves.
That was with a shotgun though.

DonaldBabbett
05-19-2015, 11:00 PM
Sooooooo....
Go to REI, Home Depot, or some other place that sells gloves; find ones with the features you're interested in (warm enough and waterproof); and buy them.

I have a pair of North Face softshell gloves that are mostly windproof, mostly water resistant, mostly tactile enough, mostly warm enough. I've not shot with them, they are just my general outdoor gloves.

Actually, I might have shot a deer while wearing them. Or I might have been wearing a pair of fleece gloves, or no gloves. They might have been knit gloves. I don't remember, I've shot both deer and ducks with no gloves, knit gloves, fleece gloves, or softshell gloves, depending on the weather and what I happened to have on hand (punny!).

Maybe leather gloves too.

I've never shot a handgun with gloves though.

Oh, I've shot ducks while wearing camo, thinsulate, waterproof ski gloves.
That was with a shotgun though.

Why would there be a need to fire a handgun while gloved?

One might be hiking or working out of doors in cold weather and carry a sidearm for security.

If one carries a handgun in a fanny pack for personal security out of doors, the gloves still must accommodate drawing the pistol from the pack.

Some cold-weather hunters hunt with handguns where legal or have them as sidearms as companions to their long guns.

Even in the big city, if you are walking down cold wintering streets and have a licence to pack concealed, you might have a concern for good cold-weather gloves that don't impair your drawing and operation of the gun.

In an emergency situation, you might not have time to take your gloves off if you have to draw and/or fire in a hurry.

Lawmen who have beats in cold weather should be experts here as well as soldiers who have been issued pistols in cold climates.

Shooters should always practice at the range sometimes with gloves on if they are considering carrying a gun while gloved.

bsg
05-20-2015, 1:32 AM
attire is very much part of a system of carry, as is the gun being carried. choosing the proper clothing can add to or detract from whatever your carry goal might be. the inclusion of appropriate gloves can easily become a priority for extreme cold weather applications. cold weather gloves that will actually serve the purpose they were made for tend to be bulky and somewhat restrictive regarding fine hand/finger movement when the weather is extremely cold.

a prudent choice of handgun to be carried while wearing heavy gloves in extreme cold weather conditions can be a significant factor regarding carrying and operating the handgun safely and without incident. the Sig Sauer P220-E (and Browning BDA) is a good example of this. when wearing heavy gloves in extreme weather conditions one may unintentionally push the side mag release button on an American style P220 (side magazine release). the P220-E (E=euro=bottom mag release) releases the magazine from a latch on the bottom of grip area and requires deliberate manipulation to release magazine, making it unlikely that an accidental mag release would occur. the P220-E has a slimmer, flatter grip area than the P220 American, thereby permitting a better grip to be afforded the user that wears heavy gloves than the American variant will allow. the P220-E is arguably the superior weapon for extreme cold weather use. despite these two handguns having a very similar appearance and pretty much operating on the same platform, these two variants of the Sig Sauer P220 are very much different, and very much alike as well.

in his book "The Gun Digest Book of SIG-SAUER" Massad Ayoob writes about his preference for the P220-E .45 ACP over the American style P220 .45 ACP in context of it's value for extreme cold weather duty (pg. 23).

_TomT_
05-20-2015, 6:13 AM
Some cold-weather hunters hunt with handguns where legal or have them as sidearms as companions to their long guns.http://goo.gl/K5zfkR

Comrade, we don't talk like mother Russia when we're in the presence the the "you know what."

Daisy'sDad
05-20-2015, 6:15 AM
I was issued a pair in the late 60's (yes, I'm that old), and never found them to be very warm in eastern winters. (Actually, the Army green field jackets with liner that was issued back then wasn't very warm either. And yes, I still have the jacket sans liner.
Anyway, the finger seams on the leather shell are such that it hinders dexterity big time. I would never want to wear them for "quick draw" pistol shooting. Using them with a rifle is ok, but not ideal.

I still have the leather shell which is great for gardening.
Amazingly durable leather by any standard!

Lead Waster
05-20-2015, 6:47 AM
That would have made an Awesome calguns login name!

P5Ret
05-20-2015, 7:53 AM
I've never been a fan of bulky gloves especially when I was carrying a handgun working windy cold nights on the coast. I just didn't have enough feeling through the gloves to make me feel comfortable with my Sig. Unlined leather, or neoprene worked best for me, with the leather being my first choice.
I know some of the younger guys are going with the Mechanix Wear gloves, for all around use. I've never tried a pair and can't say how well they work.

NapalmCheese
05-20-2015, 8:04 AM
I know some of the younger guys are going with the Mechanix Wear gloves, for all around use. I've never tried a pair and can't say how well they work.

I used to wear Mechanix gloves when I was *gasp* dome some mechanic work on race motorcycles. Some are better than others so far as dexterity goes. The original ones have a very thin material over the palm and fingers, it doesn't last long, it's not very warm, but it also doesn't hamper dexterity. Newer ones use more or heavier material and hamper dexterity. They last longer though.

Of course, this is true of all gloves. The longer lasting and warmer they are, the more they will hamper your dexterity.

NapalmCheese
05-20-2015, 8:06 AM
Why would there be a need to fire a handgun while gloved?

Who's asking? Certainly not me.

DonaldBabbett
05-20-2015, 1:04 PM
attire is very much part of a system of carry, as is the gun being carried. choosing the proper clothing can add to or detract from whatever your carry goal might be. the inclusion of appropriate gloves can easily become a priority for extreme cold weather applications. cold weather gloves that will actually serve the purpose they were made for tend to be bulky and somewhat restrictive regarding fine hand/finger movement when the weather is extremely cold.

a prudent choice of handgun to be carried while wearing heavy gloves in extreme cold weather conditions can be a significant factor regarding carrying and operating the handgun safely and without incident. the Sig Sauer P220-E (and Browning BDA) is a good example of this. when wearing heavy gloves in extreme weather conditions one may unintentionally push the side mag release button on an American style P220 (side magazine release). the P220-E (E=euro=bottom mag release) releases the magazine from a latch on the bottom of grip area and requires deliberate manipulation to release magazine, making it unlikely that an accidental mag release would occur. the P220-E has a slimmer, flatter grip area than the P220 American, thereby permitting a better grip to be afforded the user that wears heavy gloves than the American variant will allow. the P220-E is arguably the superior weapon for extreme cold weather use. despite these two handguns having a very similar appearance and pretty much operating on the same platform, these two variants of the Sig Sauer P220 are very much different, and very much alike as well.

in his book "The Gun Digest Book of SIG-SAUER" Massad Ayoob writes about his preference for the P220-E .45 ACP over the American style P220 .45 ACP in context of it's value for extreme cold weather duty (pg. 23).

I would say a double-action revolver is the best gun to carry for security when one wears gloves for cold weather. It has no tricky safeties to operate. The hammer resting on an empty chamber IS the safety! I think trigger guards tend to be more roomy on revolvers over autoloaders too.

Even in warm weather sans gloves, a d/a revolver is hard to beat anyway coz of its ruggedness, simplicity, simple highly-effective safety (a hammer resting over an empty chamber), accuracy and reliability.

Trigger Mittens
05-20-2015, 2:10 PM
I am a bit oversized but certainly not clumsy!!

Lead Waster
05-20-2015, 2:29 PM
LOL awesome! ^^

bsg
05-20-2015, 4:45 PM
I am a bit oversized but certainly not clumsy!!

my apologies, i'm sure. :D

Old4eyes
05-21-2015, 4:25 PM
Trigger Kittens? I've seen the monkey with a gun picture but a cat with a gun? Oh Mittens. Never mind.

JDay
05-21-2015, 5:32 PM

I have only fired M16 rifles with work gloves donned in cold weather on the range as an American soldier myself. Do handgun trigger guards usually have less clearance than rifle trigger guards?

The trigger guard on the M16/AR-15 can be opened to accommodate gloves. You just push the button with the tip on a bullet and swing it out of the way. Combat handguns usually have oversized trigger guards to accommodate gloves.

Che762x39
05-22-2015, 9:22 AM

Would standard mil-spec work gloves work for firing a 45 or a Smith and Wesson small or medium frame revolver?

Should I opt for a good pair of civilian shooting gloves instead?

I need functional shooting gloves for hot or cold weather that are also durable: can be worn hunting, hiking, camping or at the range.

http://www.511tactical.com/accessories/gloves.html

Here you go. The MilSpec stuff like we had was so 1965. Today get 511. I was Infantry and later a M.P. in the 1970s and the issue gear was really primitive.

The Beretta 92FS IMHO is best with gloves. :oji: