PDA

View Full Version : Riflecraft Slings?

essjay
04-30-2015, 5:26 PM
I've currently got a Proctor two-point sling on my AR, mounted on the front bottom of my 15" handguard and around the top of the stock. I find it to be very comfortable as a carry sling, particularly since the material isn't particularly stiff, but it isn't great as a shooting support, since it only works as a hasty sling (and due to how slick the quick adjust is, I need to readjust it every time I use it as such).

As a result, I'm looking to replace it with something that's fairly comfortable and non-stiff as a carry sling, has a minimum number of buckles, and can work in a loop without being removed from the rear of the stock. Something that would work well for an Appleseed course and decently for a tactical course, I suppose.

The Riflecraft RS2 seems pretty ideal, since it lays flat for carry purposes, but the RS1 is also on my shortlist, along with the SAP and TAB slings (which seems somewhat more complicated). Has anyone used any of these slings (or a comparable competitor that I haven't listed), and/or tell me that I should skip the loop and go for a single-point bungee sling instead?

Additionally, will moving the handguard sling mount further back (ie: essentially using the mount as a front-side handstop) be beneficial for stability, or does it really not matter when looped up?

Thanks!

edit: The FTW carbine sling is looking like it may be the way to go...

essjay
05-01-2015, 10:35 AM
Nobody? Better to ask this in Parts/Accessories or Bolt-Action?

m850168
05-01-2015, 10:44 AM
No input on the riflcraft sling, but I have a VTAC sling and thing it would work for you. The quick-adjust buckle on the VTAC slings does not slip at all, so even though the sling material is fairly soft and slick you can set it to a given length and it won't slip.

I had the local shoe repair guy sew a QD swivel to the front to omit the buckles, works great.

onelonehorseman
05-01-2015, 12:20 PM
No experience with Riflecraft. +1 for VTAC

essjay
05-01-2015, 12:44 PM
Can you loop sling with the VTAC?

edit: Forgot to mention that I have tried the padded Vickers/VCAS, and found that I didn't like it.

m850168
05-01-2015, 12:56 PM
No, I don't think you can loop sling the VTAC.

I have had some success loop-slinging the old style Magpul slings (with the pull-loop adjustment, not the current slide-buckle adjustment) - but those older style slings do not quick adjust easily in both directions.

I settled on using two slings, the VTAC/Magpul slings for carbine classes and a GI web sling with QD swivels for target shooting.

If you end up trying the Riflecraft sling I would be curious to know what you think of it.

essjay
05-02-2015, 12:03 PM
Pretty much set between the Riflecraft RS2 and the FTW Carbine Sling at this point. The RS2 seems like it will work much better as a loop sling (due to the loop being fixed up front), but may pose problems for use for cross-body carry and shooting in a carbine class, if I was to take one. The FTW Carbine Sling, on the other hand, seems like exactly what I would want (aside from the loop not being fixed) due to the bungee'd rear portion, but the price is a bit prohibitive. I'm waiting on a response to some questions I posed from Todd at Riflecraft, and then I'll make a decision.

essjay
05-02-2015, 4:43 PM
After talking to Todd at Riflecraft, I ended up ordering the new RS3 sling, which is essentially a RS2 with OAL adjustment at the middle of the sling and a rear quick-adjust* and quick-detach.

I'll be sure to post some photos once it arrives.

*Requires the shooting hand to be removed from the grip to adjust, but since I'm not a security operator at the largest, most dangerous mall in America, I'm not particularly worried about this feature.

essjay
05-09-2015, 10:39 AM
Well, it turns out that the rear-mounted quick-adjust and quick-detach didn't work too well for me (partially due to discomfort, and partially due to an old shoulder injury limiting my range of movement), so I made some modifications to the RC RS3 and came up with this setup:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=411723&stc=1&d=1431195795

The "fixed" loop length and tension can be adjusted using the "keeper" on the loop - pushing and pulling on it tighten and loosen it, respectively. The tail end of the loop and the 550 cord at the quick-detach clip are used for quick-adjustment of the overall sling length with either hand, without affecting the loop length. The maximum overall length of the sling is controlled with a tri-glide near the stock. Moving the forward sling QD mount further back would give me additional quick adjustment room, but less control over loop tension and length. I have it setup so that it can be carried comfortably cross-body or behind the back, while remaining pretty tight when shouldered. I can adjust my hand position for additional "hasty" sling tension when its shouldered in this manner, and can comfortably hold it left-handed when the 6" or so of adjustment is let out. The loop works with the sling across the chest, behind the back (with the quick-adjust loosened for comfort), or disconnected from the rear.

Gotta say that Todd at Riflecraft is a great guy, and was a pleasure to work with. He makes all of his slings himself, with materials sourced in the USA.

http://artoftherifle.com/
http://rifle-craft.com/

Munny$hot
05-09-2015, 1:19 PM
I like 2 point slings with a thick pad like the ones from Troy Industries. I've found if you let your sling hang down a little transitions from shoulder to shoulder can be done without adjusting the sling.

Mutenri
05-09-2015, 5:37 PM
The loop works with the sling across the chest, behind the back (with the quick-adjust loosened for comfort), or disconnected from the rear.

Very interesting. Can you show us a picture of it working with the sling behind the back?

essjay
05-09-2015, 8:11 PM
Took it out to the range earlier, and tried it out standing, crouching, and sitting with the sling across my chest - in comparison to shooting unsupported in those positions, my groups were generally 2-2.5" smaller.

Very interesting. Can you show us a picture of it working with the sling behind the back?

My shooting hand's obviously not in place and the sling's not quite as close to my armpit as I'd like, but here it is with the quick-adjust fully tightened in a "rice-paddy prone" kind of position.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=411862&stc=1&d=1431230815