PDA

View Full Version : HELP, HK LEM CONVERSION

Best sale
04-22-2015, 9:02 AM
Just wondering if anyone knows someone who can convert HK45, 45c & USP45c to light lem in the bay area or within 2hrs drive from the bay?
I am trying to save on shipment and I don't have the patient to do it by myself.

thanks

tophatjones
04-22-2015, 1:38 PM
My LEM kit from HK should arrive in a couple weeks; I'll be doing the conversion for my HK45c. It shouldn't be much more difficult than detail stripping the gun, have you detail stripped and assembled yours before? The only step that looks troublesome is replacing the trigger rebound spring; I'm going to keep the original TRS for now.

Best sale
04-22-2015, 2:41 PM
have you detail stripped and assembled yours before? The only step that looks troublesome is replacing the trigger rebound spring; I'm going to keep the original TRS for now.

Never detailed strip, only field strip to clean and oil. I am doing the light lem so i guess most parts will stay too. I have watched the video on you tube, but the more I watched, the more frustrated I got . My big hands & fingers wont make it easier either.-:(

tenclip
04-22-2015, 2:49 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows someone who can convert HK45, 45c & USP45c to light lem in the bay area or within 2hrs drive from the bay?
I am trying to save on shipment and I don't have the patient to do it by myself.

thanks

Are you just going from heavy to light LEM? PM me if so. I occasionally do spring work, polishing and sight swaps for others when I am not working 80 hours a week.

tophatjones
04-22-2015, 2:52 PM
PM sent.

Best sale
04-22-2015, 2:52 PM
Are you just going from heavy to light LEM?

No my badd, SA/DA to light LEM with safety.

1911su16b870
04-23-2015, 5:49 AM
Four part youtube...

Vp7z2LGZdLc

Rhyyke
04-23-2015, 8:03 AM
I know you're looking for a shop to do it, but I encourage you to try it yourself. I was in the same boat as you, watched the video and thought it was way too complicated to follow. But once you have it apart it's pretty obvious how it goes back together. It basically boils down to running a pin through 4 parts in the right order.

Just be sure to keep the stock and new parts separate, worst case you can take it to a shop to have them do it if you fail. There was no hammering or fitting involved when I did mine so it's not like you will damage anything beyond repair.

Best sale
04-23-2015, 8:12 AM
I know you're looking for a shop to do it, but I encourage you to try it yourself. I was in the same boat as you, watched the video and thought it was way too complicated to follow. But once you have it apart it's pretty obvious how it goes back together. It basically boils down to running a pin through 4 parts in the right order.

Just be sure to keep the stock and new parts separate, worst case you can take it to a shop to have them do it if you fail. There was no hammering or fitting involved when I did mine so it's not like you will damage anything beyond repair.

I guess I will look the video over & over again.
thanks for the encouragement.

Rhyyke
04-23-2015, 8:15 AM
I guess I will look the video over & over again.
thanks for the encouragement.

This is the video series I used:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpSucZM_hFc

I forced myself to watch it once, then put it on as I followed step by step, pausing when I needed. Feel free to pm me if you have questions.

Also I had no idea until I read your post that LEM + Safety was an option. Looks like I'll be working on mine tonight too.

Paperchasin
04-23-2015, 9:11 AM
Another vote for doing the conversion yourself. I watched the video many times and did the conversion myself and it wasn't hard at all.

Rhyyke
04-23-2015, 9:16 AM
Plus there's the satisfaction of doing it yourself. There's nothing quite like that click of parts falling into place.

mpyle101
04-23-2015, 9:54 AM
Another vote for trying it yourself. I've converted two HK45s to LEM now (including the one I got from you). It isn't hard, you just have to take your time and maintain your calm when putting the hammer axle back through and the stupid spring moves....again....errrg.

I found this series of videos helped (particularly the tip on judicious use of grease):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ooRVlY8kGg

Best sale
04-23-2015, 10:59 PM
thanks guys, I guess no turning back now ... -:). I will give it a shot when I get the parts in...

Best sale
05-02-2015, 4:54 PM
Thanks a bunch to all you guys, I was able to convert the USP45c to lem with safety today. It wasn't that bad. Waiting for detent plates then will convert the HK45 & the compact.
Thanks a lot for the encouragement guys.
thanks

tophatjones
05-02-2015, 5:20 PM
Nicely done. :) Last week, I also did my first LEM conversion, a HK45c. Didn't keep the safety though.

squiddo
05-02-2015, 5:27 PM
Nice job-

Rhyyke
05-02-2015, 5:49 PM
Nice, enjoy the transformation!

scootle
05-03-2015, 12:15 PM
ooo... good thread... will be looking to convert a USPc from V1 to light LEM at some point whenever i get my paws on the pistol... (gah, 1:30 is such fail...)

thanks to the OP and all the posters for saving me some google time! :D