PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen Mosin Nagant receivers?

pjamesb3
04-09-2015, 3:15 PM
Hi everyone,
I posted in the WTB thread already but I was wondering if anyone knew of a website that still has Mosin Nagant receivers for sale.
Also..
Do the hexed and round receivers both have the same threading?
Thanks a lot.
Paul Brooks

TMB 1
04-09-2015, 6:30 PM
Did you look on GunBroker?

pjamesb3
04-09-2015, 7:05 PM
I did but they only have hex receivers, will that work with a 43 izzy barrel.

offrdmania
04-09-2015, 8:30 PM
This might help answer your questions

http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinReceiver.htm

pjamesb3
04-09-2015, 8:57 PM
Thanks a lot,
I didn't see anything mentioned specifically in deviations to barrel threads, but I did notice that the Chinese Mosin receivers were copied from the late Izy's, which is the receiver I'm considering buying (cheap) and the barrel I currently have.

ar15barrels
04-09-2015, 11:08 PM
I didn't see anything mentioned specifically in deviations to barrel threads, but I did notice that the Chinese Mosin receivers were copied from the late Izy's, which is the receiver I'm considering buying (cheap) and the barrel I currently have.

You might be in for a surprise after you get the receiver and screw your barrel into it.
I suspect you will soon find out that the thread timing is not standardized across different receivers.
What this will mean for you is that the sights and the extractor cut won't align correctly when the barrel is tightened into the receiver.

pjamesb3
04-10-2015, 8:39 AM
You might be in for a surprise after you get the receiver and screw your barrel into it.
I suspect you will soon find out that the thread timing is not standardized across different receivers.
What this will mean for you is that the sights and the extractor cut won't align correctly when the barrel is tightened into the receiver.

I knew it couldn't be that simple. So I would have to get an identical year/model?

hambam105
04-10-2015, 2:40 PM
Lets do it this way:

I have a decent 91/30 Tula rifle.

After you pay me $400, I will agree to strip the rifle and I keep all the parts. You pay all the DROS fees and wait the 10 days legally transferring the receiver into your name.

Why didn't I think of this sooner?

pjamesb3
04-10-2015, 2:58 PM
I'm not sure if I'm understanding your humor.. But why do that when I could buy a new one for 140

ar15barrels
04-10-2015, 3:08 PM
I knew it couldn't be that simple. So I would have to get an identical year/model?

You really need the exact receiver that your barrel came from to ensure that it will align correctly.
Since there is no standardization in thread timing, the guns were built like this originally:
Pull a receiver from the parts bin.
Screw a barrel in tight.
Stamp barrel with serial number of receiver.
Mark the bottom of the barrel and the bottom of the receiver with an index mark.
Remove barrel from the receiver.
Cut extractor notch.
Cut rear sight base.
Install front sight base.
Re-install barrel to receiver, using index marks to set alignment.

The problem happens when you go to put a finished barrel into a different receiver.
You see, the top of one barrel is not the same side as the top of another receiver.
In order to keep the sights on top of the barrel in the different receiver, you should plan on cutting the barrel's torque shoulder back until sight alignment is obtained.
Then, the barrel shank will get shortened and the new extractor groove cut and the chamber reamed to final headspace.
If you can do such work yourself, no problem.
If you have to pay someone else for such work, expect a $150+ gunsmithing bill.

pjamesb3
04-10-2015, 3:18 PM
I see. Thanks for the explanation I appreciate it. I'm obviously still deep in the learning process and I'm doing my best to go about this correctly and carefully. Probably going to put the barrel up on gunbroker to see if anyone wants it, it's a shame the rifling is damn near perfect, but cost wise I might as well purchase a whole new rifle.

nbirnbaum2
04-10-2015, 3:32 PM
These guys did a lot of the importing mosins, t53s etc and carry the spare parts...They have TONS OF CRAP NOT LISTED.

call em
http://www.omega-weapons-systems.com/
Omega Weapons Systems (520) 889-8895

ar15barrels
04-10-2015, 3:36 PM
I see. Thanks for the explanation I appreciate it. I'm obviously still deep in the learning process and I'm doing my best to go about this correctly and carefully. Probably going to put the barrel up on gunbroker to see if anyone wants it, it's a shame the rifling is damn near perfect, but cost wise I might as well purchase a whole new rifle.

If you were to find yourself standing in front of a crate of receivers, you could likely scavenge through the crate and keep trying your barrel in different receivers until you find one that is close to aligning right.
Then, you could torque the barrel into that receiver into proper alignment and see if you can get it to headspace correctly.
The hard part of that is getting yourself in front of that crate.

Short of having access to a few dozen receivers to try out before you choose one, I think its a better idea to just buy a complete rifle than to try and build one from parts.

pjamesb3
04-10-2015, 3:43 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm going to find myself a nice pre war Rifle, I don't believe I possess the skill, nor do I have the materials, to complete this project piece by piece.

sl0re10
04-10-2015, 3:50 PM
If you were to find yourself standing in front of a crate of receivers, you could likely scavenge through the crate and keep trying your barrel in different receivers until you find one that is close to aligning right.
Then, you could torque the barrel into that receiver into proper alignment and see if you can get it to headspace correctly.
The hard part of that is getting yourself in front of that crate.

Short of having access to a few dozen receivers to try out before you choose one, I think its a better idea to just buy a complete rifle than to try and build one from parts.

On the other hand; someone building a PSL might be willing to pay gunsmith to make your [re: OP] barrel work. So; you could probably sell a good 54r barrel if your mosin project isn't economical (re: if it turns out to be a better deal for you to buy a complete rifle).

hambam105
04-10-2015, 10:49 PM
Does that mean the $400 dollar deal is off? ;)

You always want to give the customers the option to pay more.

adamjay
04-12-2015, 3:09 PM
I suppose you could use that barrel to bang fit all of our 91/30 bayonets.