PDA

View Full Version : I'm a Wreck - Problems with 5:00 and Appendix

vospertw
04-09-2015, 1:35 PM
I am trying to figure out where to carry my G26. I'm 6'2", 170 lbs, 32" waist.

My preferred carry would be at 5:00 but I'm finding that it aggravates an old injury to the hip/hip flexor. I've tried moving it a bit forward and backward with no luck. Currently running an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 2.0 in that position. I call this my preferred carry because I'd like to carry in the same location all the time and this would allow me to carry sub-compact IWB to full-size OWB whether concealed or simply for admin training/convenience at the range. I plan to try OWB concealed in that location as well, though that won't work for me in all situations.

I have been trying appendix carry with a Crossbreed Appendix IWB holster. Couple of problems here. Since my waist is narrow, I have to position the holster at about 1230 to keep the pistol grip from printing to the side. Since this holster has an offset clip (to the left for right-handed shooter) I find I often have to position the clip to the left of my pants button - which of course means you have to move the belt buckle to a weird position - which looks strange in a work setting with a tucked shirt. The other problem I have is that the draw is awkward on my wrist; I don't know if because my arm is long but since the grip is so close to my side my wrist and forearm are placed at an awkward angle.

Couple of appendix solutions might be changing belts to something without a traditional buckle, changing holsters to something like a Bladetech where the clip is directly behind the gun and not offset and possibly more cant. I have tinkered a bit with a cross-draw position, putting the holster at 1100 which puts the grip in a bit more of a natural position with regard to wrist angle on the draw. It's not perfect though; the belt buckle can interfere with getting a grip and my belly is tighter against my pants directly in front of my abdomen as well. I have a bit more of a gap at 1-2 o'clock

Anyone run into similar problems? Anyone try putting the holster at 1100 and reaching across? Thanks in advance.

FresnoRob
04-09-2015, 1:49 PM
I'm 6'1" 175Lbs so similar build. I like to carry at 4:30 when I am not in the car a lot. I know you said this doesn't work for you.

When I need to drive a lot (most days) I carry appendix using a Concealment Solutions ASP 2.0 at about 11:00 cross draw, it has a single clip. This seems to work best for me if I can't carry at 4:30.

Capybara
04-09-2015, 2:42 PM
Have you tried at 2:45? I have been carrying about five months with a Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe 2.0 and a Shield. Granted, it's thinner than your pistol but it is very comfortable sitting, standing, driving, etc. Easy to draw from there too.

6' 1" 176 lbs 32 in waist so we are built similarly. I find 3:00 or 3:30, the lump sticks out of my side too much and the leather in the holster creaks a lot whereas it is close to silent @ 2:30-2:45.

Mute
04-09-2015, 3:43 PM
If you must absolutely go with IWB, you might try something like a Milt Sparks Summer Special or a Sticky Holster, which won't have the funky belt clip positioning. Also, the softer holster - vs. kydex - might prove more comfortable in the 5:00 position. There isn't always a single answer when it comes to holster choices. Perhaps you can find someone with different holsters that will fit your gun and test it out to see if something else proves to be more comfortable.

Best sale
04-09-2015, 3:59 PM
You might wonna look into G code incog IWB may be it might work for you.Or Raven Concealment IWB with G code belt clips.
Goodluck

grantar2
04-09-2015, 4:20 PM
If you get up to the Mission Viejo area stop by my shop Packin Fur Defense and well talk holsters. Bring your guns and you can try a couple of options. I have some very nice custom holsters that should be arriving in the next few days, that might help with the IWB / OWB issue as well. You don't identify the types of guns your trying to holster other than the G26.

Feel free to PM me, I will give you my phone number, store address and e-mail.

Between compact and full size I think your looking at different solutions.

AmpedUp
04-09-2015, 5:13 PM
I made one of these out of Kydex to try out the style before I ordered one (still waiting) and I works pretty well for me. Granted It has only been around the house as my CCW is in limbo with OCSD right now and I am a way different body style than you. 5'9" 225 with a bit of a gut.

http://www.phlster.com/#!product/prd1/1472842251/skeleton-iwb

grantar2
04-09-2015, 6:31 PM
I made one of these out of Kydex to try out the style before I ordered one (still waiting) and I works pretty well for me. Granted It has only been around the house as my CCW is in limbo with OCSD right now and I am a way different body style than you. 5'9" 225 with a bit of a gut.

http://www.phlster.com/#!product/prd1/1472842251/skeleton-iwb

Since your not carrying everyday yet, not sure if your treating the gun as though you were. The lack of cover for the muzzle means that oils and residue from using the gun can drip/fall down into places that may cause a level of discomfort due to the chemical reaction. I would also suggest for an appendix carry holster you would want the ability to adjust can't and depth.

If your making your own sample holsters you can try adding that, as well as use some foot care gel sheets to provide a soft surface against the body.

Those with a touch of a gut will usually prefer to have the gun ride low, those who are thinner may choose the comfort of having it ride higher.

ldsnet
04-09-2015, 6:45 PM
I am 6' 2" 200 and carry a G23 and had similar problems. I found if I increased the cant angle it was easier on my body and still acceptable concealment and grip

SonofWWIIDI
04-09-2015, 6:57 PM
Free county problems.

I envy your dilemma. Here in Santa Clara county, LTC is still unobtainium. And, sadly, will probably remain that way.

:(

Socalspeed
04-09-2015, 7:09 PM
I carry owb, a p229 in a paddle holster ,at about 3. I am 6'4, 210 and easily conceal with a tshirt. Get a good belt, and it will be snug to your side. Comfortable too.

AmpedUp
04-09-2015, 8:15 PM
Since your not carrying everyday yet, not sure if your treating the gun as though you were. The lack of cover for the muzzle means that oils and residue from using the gun can drip/fall down into places that may cause a level of discomfort due to the chemical reaction. I would also suggest for an appendix carry holster you would want the ability to adjust can't and depth.

If your making your own sample holsters you can try adding that, as well as use some foot care gel sheets to provide a soft surface against the body.

Those with a touch of a gut will usually prefer to have the gun ride low, those who are thinner may choose the comfort of having it ride higher.

Good stuff, thanks for the info.

71MUSTY
04-09-2015, 8:22 PM
Try a crossbreed quick clip IWB. It only has one clip so the holster is not as wide. With the FBI cant this allows my weapon to sit just behind my hip, maybe 3:45 or 4:00. very comfortable and easy to draw even in the car. Mine fits both my compact and my fullsize so I carry wither there depending on what I'm wearing and where I'm going.

glockman19
04-09-2015, 8:26 PM
I 'm 5'9" 170 and carry my Glock 26 between 2:30-3:30.

vospertw
04-09-2015, 9:00 PM
Thanks all! Lots of good info to sift through.

Capybara - I gave it a try today but no joy. I must have chick hips or something because anything at the hip or in front is a no go. However, I wore it for about 6 hours today at about 3:30 and didn't seem to notice any problems so will give that some more attention.

Grantar2 - with my current schedule, getting up to Mission Viejo is nearly impossible, but I genuinely appreciate the offer. I will keep it in mind if I can somehow work in a trip north.

I will keep trying 3:30 for a bit and maybe investigate a smaller single clip IWB or a pancake holster. Again, I greatly appreciate the ideas and advice!

grantar2
04-09-2015, 9:31 PM
[QUOTE=vospertw;16115879]Thanks all! Lots of good info to sift through.

Grantar2 - with my current schedule, getting up to Mission Viejo is nearly impossible, but I genuinely appreciate the offer. I will keep it in mind if I can somehow work in a trip north.

I will be at the Del Mar Gun Show May 16 & 17, we bring about 80% of our inventory, so if you feel like stopping by you can try out several solutions.

I have to ask, have you considered just for the heck of it using a bellyband?

seasnake
04-10-2015, 6:11 AM
G code Incog at 12:30 - 1:00 . I took my holster to a standing belt sander and sanded off everything that wasn't necessary Kydex sands very nice . once you get all that excess material removed it will feel perfect .

vospertw
04-10-2015, 6:38 AM
[QUOTE=vospertw;16115879]Thanks all! Lots of good info to sift through.

I will be at the Del Mar Gun Show May 16 & 17, we bring about 80% of our inventory, so if you feel like stopping by you can try out several solutions.

I have to ask, have you considered just for the heck of it using a bellyband?

I can't make the May show but hopefully you'll be down for others?

Yes, I've thought a belly band might work; I haven't picked one up though. Coincidentally, I had an email on my inbox this morning from Crossbreed about their line.

kcjr1125
04-10-2015, 6:57 AM
im 6'4" and i appendix carry my ruger LC9, sig sp2022 or full size ruger SR1911. all have no problems whatsoever with printing because i use NO holster.

seriously, try it with a good belt but no holster. its just adding bulk if you do use a holster.

grantar2
04-10-2015, 9:52 AM
[QUOTE=grantar2;16116048]

I can't make the May show but hopefully you'll be down for others?

Yes, I've thought a belly band might work; I haven't picked one up though. Coincidentally, I had an email on my inbox this morning from Crossbreed about their line.

We sell Bellybands for $18.99 plus tax and shipping. less the Calguns10 10% discount. http://packinfurdefense.com/products/black-concealed-belly-band-holster-large-size .If you like the solution you will end up needing a couple so you can launder them. The nice part is they have a pair of mag carriers built in, and can be used at any position around the body, including as shoulder style deep concealment type holster.

Doheny
04-10-2015, 10:01 AM
When I first read your title I thought you were having problems with your appendix every day at 5:00.

kdub1290
04-10-2015, 11:45 AM
I just got this in the mail a couple days ago:
http://www.norcalkydex.com/Humboldt-Hideaway-AIWB-HH1.htm
The clip is not to the left of the firearm, which may help in your positioning of the belt buckle. I'm not sure though. Having the buckle in the front of my pants while I carry appendix makes the buckle print more than the weapon, so I also tend to put the belt buckle to the side regardless.

vospertw
04-10-2015, 12:43 PM
I just got this in the mail a couple days ago:
http://www.norcalkydex.com/Humboldt-Hideaway-AIWB-HH1.htm
The clip is not to the left of the firearm, which may help in your positioning of the belt buckle. I'm not sure though. Having the buckle in the front of my pants while I carry appendix makes the buckle print more than the weapon, so I also tend to put the belt buckle to the side regardless.

Thanks! One thing I like about this compared to my Crossbreed holster is that the clip is on the side of the grip. What I have found with my holster is the gun causes the holster to "sink" below my pants even with a stiff gun holster because the pivot point (belt clip) is well to the left of the grip. This looks like the pivot point would be centered under the grip which should help avoid that problem.

vospertw
04-10-2015, 12:47 PM
[QUOTE=vospertw;16117062]

We sell Bellybands for $18.99 plus tax and shipping. less the Calguns10 10% discount. http://packinfurdefense.com/products/black-concealed-belly-band-holster-large-size .If you like the solution you will end up needing a couple so you can launder them. The nice part is they have a pair of mag carriers built in, and can be used at any position around the body, including as shoulder style deep concealment type holster.

Thanks Grantar. Looks like it has a generic (don't mean that in a bad way) elastic pouch for the handgun? Any limitations on what will fit, not fit?

grantar2
04-10-2015, 1:00 PM
[QUOTE=grantar2;16118028]

Thanks Grantar. Looks like it has a generic (don't mean that in a bad way) elastic pouch for the handgun? Any limitations on what will fit, not fit?

It will take any size gun. Long term I assume it will develop a preference for the largest gun carried the most. As you use the band it conforms to the gun. Elastic is used by a number of manufactures to meet the needs of owners who have multiple guns, especially for back up. N82 does, as has Forbus.

The key here is that if you can't comfortable carry along the waist with a belly band there isn't likely to be much that will carry comfortably.

If you weren't wearing a tucked in shirt I would suggest you find someone in your area with a Sticky Holster, but the Belly band allows a tucked in shirt. It is also easy to add additional retention, sometimes needed for our LEO customers. Of course we like customers to come in and try stuff on. It really is the best way to shop, but if you order online we offer 15 day return.

We remind our customers, your holster has to perform. Your likely only going to need it once in a lifetime and in the 3.5 seconds you want it to work. The best gun in the world that can't clear the holster, or isn't carried because its not comfortable is useless.

vospertw
04-10-2015, 1:06 PM
[QUOTE=vospertw;16118889]

It will take any size gun. Long term I assume it will develop a preference for the largest gun carried the most. As you use the band it conforms to the gun. Elastic is used by a number of manufactures to meet the needs of owners who have multiple guns, especially for back up. N82 does, as has Forbus.

The key here is that if you can't comfortable carry along the waist with a belly band there isn't likely to be much that will carry comfortably.

If you weren't wearing a tucked in shirt I would suggest you find someone in your area with a Sticky Holster, but the Belly band allows a tucked in shirt. It is also easy to add additional retention, sometimes needed for our LEO customers. Of course we like customers to come in and try stuff on. It really is the best way to shop, but if you order online we offer 15 day return.

We remind our customers, your holster has to perform. Your likely only going to need it once in a lifetime and in the 3.5 seconds you want it to work. The best gun in the world that can't clear the holster, or isn't carried because its not comfortable is useless.

Thanks again. I might have to give one a spin. I was thinking it would be a good way to carry my J-frame as well and completely eliminates the problems with clips, belt buckles, etc.

Edit - not pinging on their belly band but one thing that kept me away from the CB belly band was attaching a kydex holster with velcro - seems like you are adding bulk in an application that should offer minimum bulk. The elastic seems a better idea for this situation.

kdub1290
04-11-2015, 12:11 PM
Thanks! One thing I like about this compared to my Crossbreed holster is that the clip is on the side of the grip. What I have found with my holster is the gun causes the holster to "sink" below my pants even with a stiff gun holster because the pivot point (belt clip) is well to the left of the grip. This looks like the pivot point would be centered under the grip which should help avoid that problem.

Seems like you're having the same issue with the Crossbreed as I had with their mag pouch while carrying it AIWB. It would tilt below the belt line. I do not foresee that being an issue with the holster I linked. I also really like Dale Fricke and T.Rex Arms holsters. Not as cheap as the NorCal kydex ones, but they're even nicer in my opinion.

Elchief
07-07-2015, 4:14 PM
galco king tuk, i carry my glock 17 at 1 o'clock with no printing and i dont even feel it carry all day everyday. the cant helps it not stick out.

vospertw
07-07-2015, 4:45 PM
Quick update. Based on advice from Tom Givens at Rangemaster, I put my longer G19 shell on and carried the 26. Haven't had a problem since. His take; and right in my case, is that the sub-compact shells are too short and can dig in. The longer shell eliminates the problem.