PDA

View Full Version : Lost or Misplaced Gun (and SSE)

Carcassonne
04-08-2015, 8:38 AM
(Background - you can skip this)

Back in the 1990's I went to a gun show in Reno. Since I was carrying a lot of cash, I decided to also carry a gun (Colt Mustang 380). Everything went great, but several month after I got back I could not find my Colt Mustang. I couldn't remember what I did with it. I could have sworn I put it in the safe.

I remember hiding it under the mattress at in my Hotel room, so I called the Hotel to see if a maid found my gun. I gave them the make, model, and serial number but they didn't have it. Surprisingly, they had a lot of found guns that weekend, so I don't feel so stupid. I also remember stopping in Truckee at the rest-stop to play in the snow. I though my gun might have fallen out of my car when I opened the door. I called the Truckee police (or Sheriff), but they didn't have it.

About two years later I found the gun in my safe - right where I put it when I got back from Reno.

If you lose or misplace a gun what are you suppose to do? File a police report immediately?

I noticed there is a form to fill out on the DOJ website for guns no longer in your possession (lost/stolen/sold). http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/BOF4546NLIP0209.pdf

So if I report my gun lost and fill out the form, what happens when I later find my gun? Do I have to re-DROS it back to myself, or do I fill out a Firearms Ownership Report (volreg) form? http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/volreg.pdf?

Now in reference to SSE guns. If I lose my SSE pistol that was registered as a .25 caliber, do I report it lost as a .25 caliber or what it was when I lost it (9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP, etc)? If I fill out the F.O.R. (volreg) form, do I list the found gun as a .25 caliber gun, or what it is at the time I found it?

:facepalm:

Masterdebater
04-08-2015, 8:48 AM
Sneaky. Veddy sneaky op.

I have no idea, besides the usual "boating accident"

RickD427
04-08-2015, 8:56 AM
The best course of action is to file a "Lost" report with your LE agency.

The AFS does allow for weapons to be entered as "Lost". This is an important distinction from being reported as "Stolen." Officers are likely to treat the possessor of a "Stolen" firearm differently than the possessor of a "Lost" firearm.

If the firearm is later found, and has never left your possession, then a "Found" report can be made to your LE agency. There is no additional action required since there are no "transfers" involved. The LE agency has the ability to update the AFS system.

In the event that your weapon were found by a hotel employee, or someone else, and was turned over to a police agency in the U.S., that agency would have the ability to learn of the "Lost" report and would be able to deliver the weapon to the agency that you made the report to. You would then need to go through the DOJ "Gun Release Letter" process to obtain the weapon.

onelonehorseman
04-08-2015, 9:50 AM
The best course of action is to file a "Lost" report with your LE agency.

The AFS does allow for weapons to be entered as "Lost". This is an important distinction from being reported as "Stolen." Officers are likely to treat the possessor of a "Stolen" firearm differently than the possessor of a "Lost" firearm.

If the firearm is later found, and has never left your possession, then a "Found" report can be made to your LE agency. There is no additional action required since there are no "transfers" involved. The LE agency has the ability to update the AFS system.

In the event that your weapon were found by a hotel employee, or someone else, and was turned over to a police agency in the U.S., that agency would have the ability to learn of the "Lost" report and would be able to deliver the weapon to the agency that you made the report to. You would then need to go through the DOJ "Gun Release Letter" process to obtain the weapon.

Interesting. Good information.

Trriemferent
04-08-2015, 10:53 AM
What I want to know is ..... how big is the safe that you lose things in it.

Lead Waster
04-08-2015, 10:57 AM
Jeez, how messy is your safe if you find a gun in it 2 years later in the place you put it?

Carcassonne
04-08-2015, 12:16 PM
Jeez, how messy is your safe if you find a gun in it 2 years later in the place you put it?

Have you ever lost your keys, and looked everywhere for them, only to later find them laying in front of you the whole time. It was like that.

I think it might have been in my ankle holster at the time. I just saw the holster and didn't bother to look and see if there was a gun inside (both the gun and holster are black). :facepalm:

A friend of mine lost his Taurus the same way for about 6 months. He found it in a holster. :facepalm:

jtp2202
04-26-2015, 10:13 PM
Tag

Kowan
04-26-2015, 10:35 PM
Thankfully I've never lost a gun, but I have gone looking around for my glasses I was holding in my hand the whole time. :D

highpower
04-27-2015, 5:02 AM
What I want to know is ..... how big is the safe that you lose things in it.

Sometimes that is easier than you might think..........
http://highpower.smugmug.com/Firearms/Gun-Safe/i-Q9ZJ8mZ/0/XL/IMG_3794-XL.jpg
http://highpower.smugmug.com/Firearms/Gun-Safe/i-bHnRCRS/0/XL/IMG_3791-XL.jpg

I have 32 long guns in a safe that is listed as a 22 gun safe. Oh yeah and 35 handguns. Usually what ever I am looking for is in the back or on the bottom of the stack.

whipkiller
04-27-2015, 7:53 AM
Umm, no. I tend to keep pretty good track of my deadly weapons.

Yes, I've lost my keys. If a kid finds my keys they won't blow his head off.

It sounds like you and your friend w/the Taurus have a pretty relaxed attitude about this.

lastinline
04-27-2015, 2:38 PM
^^^^^^^Exactly my thoughts. Better learn to do a better job of accounting for your weapons. This is exactly the behavior that the anti-gun folks use to push for ever increasing storage laws, limits, reporting, etc.

GMG
04-27-2015, 4:52 PM
When a seller does a transfer to the buyer at an FFL, doesn't that do the same thing as filling out the lost/stolen/sold form? If not I'm in deep do do. :eek:

JohnCCW
04-27-2015, 7:39 PM
Good thing for Jerry Brown, you would have committed a thought crime! (conspiracy to commit? Lol )

Governor's Veto Message:
To the Members of the California State Senate:
I am returning Senate Bill 1366 without my signature.
This bill makes it an infraction (or a misdemeanor for the 3rd offense) to fail to report the theft or loss of a firearm to a local law enforcement agency within 48 hours of the time the owner knew, or reasonably should have known, that the firearm was lost or stolen.
The proponents urge that the bill will improve identification of gun traffickers and help law enforcement disarm people prohibited from possessing firearms. I am not convinced. For the most part, responsible people report the loss or theft of a firearm and irresponsible people do not. I am skeptical that this bill would change those behaviors.

Sincerely,
Edmund G. Brown Jr.