PDA

View Full Version : RIA 1911 safety issue

gsc3zny
02-20-2015, 3:04 PM
I have a brand new RIA 1911. It came covered in cosmoline( I think). I disassembled it according to yahoo videos and reassembled. The problem I have is that the thumb safety doesn't work properly. When I engage both the grip safety and engage the thumb safety, the gun will fire when trigger pulled. If I just leave the thumb safety on, and don't engage the grip safety, it wont fire. I haven't seen this exact problem on the web, and was hoping someone could offer some advice.

tr6guns
02-21-2015, 5:02 AM
Is the Thumb Safety Engaging all the way up into the recess in the Slide, when the Hammer is cocked.? Sounds like it is not fully engaging..
And also it should never fire unless you Grip the Grip Safety..

ar15barrels
02-21-2015, 9:19 PM
Is the Thumb Safety Engaging all the way up into the recess in the Slide, when the Hammer is cocked.? Sounds like it is not fully engaging..

Lacking photo evidence showing otherwise, I am going with this theory.
If the thumb safety won't go all the way up into the slide cut, then it is likely stopping against the sear.
The good news id that it's just a little bit more fitting to get the safety to move all the way up and properly block the sear.
IF the safety is going all the way up and the gun will fire, then the safety was over-fitted and will either need to be welded up or replaced.

Alex$
02-22-2015, 5:53 AM
Improper assembly I would think. Specifically, check the sear assembly.

http://www.m1911.org/technic25.htm

ar15barrels
02-22-2015, 10:20 AM
Improper assembly I would think. Specifically, check the sear assembly.

http://www.m1911.org/technic25.htm

In what way can you improperly assemble a 1911 and still have the trigger/sear function, but not the thumb safety?

gsc3zny
02-22-2015, 3:51 PM
Lacking photo evidence showing otherwise, I am going with this theory.
If the thumb safety won't go all the way up into the slide cut, then it is likely stopping against the sear.
The good news id that it's just a little bit more fitting to get the safety to move all the way up and properly block the sear.
IF the safety is going all the way up and the gun will fire, then the safety was over-fitted and will either need to be welded up or replaced.Here are pics of the sear spring, safety up before trigger pull, and safety falls down after pulling trigger

ar15barrels
02-22-2015, 4:17 PM
Here are pics of the sear spring, safety up before trigger pull, and safety falls down after pulling trigger

Well, the sear, disconnector and trigger are in the right places in the first picture.
The 3rd picture shows that the thumb safety has enough travel.
Does the thumb safety disengage while pulling the trigger?

gsc3zny
02-22-2015, 6:45 PM
Well, the sear, disconnector and trigger are in the right places in the first picture.
The 3rd picture shows that the thumb safety has enough travel.
Does the thumb safety disengage while pulling the trigger?
Yes

kendog4570
02-22-2015, 7:55 PM
I have a brand new RIA 1911.....

Did it work before you took it apart?
If not, send it back to RIA??

gsc3zny
02-22-2015, 9:02 PM
Did it work before you took it apart?
If not, send it back to RIA??It was so full f some kind of protective gel, I couldnt even handle it, hence the cleaning

ar15barrels
02-22-2015, 9:44 PM
Yes

Thumb safety seems to be faulty.
It should NOT disengage with pressure on the trigger.
The part of the thumb safety that blocks the sear should be relatively square to the sear so that pressure applied to the trigger presses the sear against the thumb safety.

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/safety_on1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/hautlipz/1911_cutaway_thumb_safety_blocking_.jpg

In order for the thumb safety to disengage with trigger pressure, there would have to be some angle to the thumb safety can cam the thumb safety downwards.

If it's a new gun, let RIA fix it.
No sense in spending money fixing their problem.

Alex$
02-22-2015, 10:09 PM
Buddy brought a new RIA tactical to me that he cleaned up new in the box. The preservative that they ship in is tacky, go figure it is a preservative and has wax in it. He wanted to clean it up, so he detail stripped it beyond a field strip.

It was failing with near the same symptoms you're stating, turns out the sear was assembled incorrectly. I didn't even notice while I was disassembling so I couldn't tell you the exact problem, I just tore it down and reassembled and the problem "went away".

RIA's come with a lifetime warranty, if a disassemble and reassembly doesn't work, call the good folks in Pahrump to have it fixed. (call RIA customer service)

gsc3zny
02-22-2015, 10:46 PM
Buddy brought a new RIA tactical to me that he cleaned up new in the box. The preservative that they ship in is tacky, go figure it is a preservative and has wax in it. He wanted to clean it up, so he detail stripped it beyond a field strip.

It was failing with near the same symptoms you're stating, turns out the sear was assembled incorrectly. I didn't even notice while I was disassembling so I couldn't tell you the exact problem, I just tore it down and reassembled and the problem "went away".

RIA's come with a lifetime warranty, if a disassemble and reassembly doesn't work, call the good folks in Pahrump to have it fixed. (call RIA customer service) Thats my next step. re assembled several times and still have problem