PDA

View Full Version : Minor modification of s Seecamp trigger guard? How to?

Citadelgrad87
02-18-2015, 9:52 AM
Long story condensed. I have a seecamp on my CCW, and it's highly unpleasant to shoot.

This part

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k634/citadelgrad871/c231d1370708bf1676dc464f09a834f5_zps6b92bfe8.jpg

Does this

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k634/citadelgrad871/55ffb455812dc49526c900f50e530f6f_zpsaeae619b.jpg

Despite the fact that the little pistol is pretty well dehorned, the trigger guard has a fairly sharp edge where the inside surface meets the thin side surface of the guard, and another sharp edge where the outside/bottom of the guard meets the outside edge, although this outside sharp edge doesn't appear to injure me.

This is apparently stainless steel. I'd like to soften the sharp edge, but I don't want to mess this up.

Ideas? I have a variety of sandpaper, Emory paper, and a Dremel (gasp) with a good selection of stones(?).

I would like this to appear as if it was made this way, if possible. My concern with something as aggresive as the Dremel is over removing material.

ojisan
02-18-2015, 9:55 AM
I'd try some emery paper with a small block of wood as a backer.
Just kiss the square edges and you won't change the appearance much.
If this is not enough, you will have to round the edges, but the process will most likely leave the area more polished than the surrounding metal.

ETA: you might try using a fine stone to smooth the corners first.

Tovarish
02-18-2015, 9:59 AM
Why don't you ask Seecamp what he recommends?

Citadelgrad87
02-18-2015, 3:59 PM
Why don't you ask Seecamp what he recommends?

That's a great idea. I registered over there, but am not overly confident after this response, not from Larry, but still..

Welcome to the forum...

A lot of folks put a band aid on when they shoot for practice, knowing their finger is going to
get beat up a little if the gun is called upon. Good strong grip along with a mag
extension will also help. A dremel tool with a sanding cylinder will certainly smooth
the edge a little. Then finish with 400 grit emery cloth. I would grind on the trigger
guard as a last resort.

Jim

ar15barrels
02-18-2015, 4:19 PM
I would say to put medical tape on your finger when you practice.
Another thing that works is to take a piece of silicone tubing and slit it and slip that on the triggerguard.

ford63man
02-18-2015, 9:45 PM
I say polish the crap out of the parts that cut you up. its a carry gun, not a show piece right? function should be the top priority. grind smooth polish. shoot shoot shoot

Twystd1
02-19-2015, 1:44 AM
I say polish the crap out of the parts that cut you up. its a carry gun, not a show piece right? function should be the top priority. grind smooth polish. shoot shoot shoot

I agree with the above.

Some sandpaper and a bit of polishing and all will be well.
If all else fails. Bring it over. We can do it together if you can make it to Newport Beach.

-T

kcstott
02-19-2015, 4:31 AM
Well if it were me in my shop whit what I have available to me. I'd get one of my super fine rotary stones and put in in my fordom tool re profile the corners all the way around inside and out then go back over it by hand with a die makers stone 400 or 600 grit to blend every thing out, then hit it with scotch brite and be done.