PDA

View Full Version : touch up Colt deep blue

postal
02-16-2015, 6:08 PM
Hi all,

Wondering what people recommend for some minor blue touch up on an old colt DEEP blue finish..

Of course I know about the usual 'cold blue' sold in LGS... what would someone recommend for an old school deep blue with some wear and hope to get something to blend into a colt deep blue?

No I dont want to send it out for a full refin....

Thanks

SVT-40
02-16-2015, 7:00 PM
Just leave it be... All you will do trying to "touch it up" is F%&K it up....

'ol shooter
02-16-2015, 7:18 PM
I second the leave it alone position, but when I do touch up bluing, I use Brownell's Dicropan, and lightly rub the area with 4-0 steel wool wetted with the bluing solution. It blends really well, but no touch up is perfect. The glossier the finish, the harder it is to get a good blend. Consider yourself both informed, and warned. I have a Python with the usual slight muzzle and cylinder wear, and it will stay just that way.

bombadillo
02-16-2015, 7:37 PM
Turnbull customs or Colt Custom Shop are the only 2 I'd work with. Do it right, and buy once cry once.

postal
02-16-2015, 7:58 PM
Thanks for the replies and warnings....

Sharp edges are worn on the slide, and under controls like the slide release/thumb safety-

Probably should just leave it alone.

klewan
02-17-2015, 9:34 AM
That blue was one of the reasons Colt could get a premium price for their guns; nobody else had production guns that could compare.

kcstott
02-17-2015, 10:54 AM
That blue was one of the reasons Colt could get a premium price for their guns; nobody else had production guns that could compare.

And if he wants it done right send it to Colt or Turnbul
But be prepared to fork over some serious cash. They are both very proud of their work. Both deservingly so.

bombadillo
02-17-2015, 10:57 AM
Turnbull especially. Their prices are out of this world, but their work is second to none. Colt royal blue is the preferred by myself, and others but it is an exceptional finish.

xsefan
02-28-2015, 4:48 AM
If you want to have it finished and save some value or want it to look new. Send it to colt. They will charge alot but you get paper work that says it was done by colt.