PDA

View Full Version : Recoil moves POA to the left

BanjoGunner
02-06-2015, 6:08 AM
I'm working on my marksmanship with the intent of trying some long range shooting.

When I shoot, the recoil moves my POA ~6-10' to the left of the target at 100 yds. I'm shooting Savage 10-FCP from a bench with a tripod and rear bag. I'm wondering if this is indicative of some specific error in shooting form, like too much cheek pressure or holding the rifle too/not firmly enough or whatever? Although my precision is still pretty good, I can't help but think this is having some effect on it.

A couple of guys at the range were kind enough to watch me fire a few shots, but said they didn't see what might be causing it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

BG

BillyGoatCrawler
02-06-2015, 7:29 AM
Are you right or left handed?

I find shooting from a bench makes it much harder to get your mass inline behind the rifle and creates torquing during the recoil. Prone is much preferred.

It shouldn't affect precision if you're not creating a parallax issue. But, it does make spotting your own impacts and follow up shots a lot harder at longer distances.

spamsucker
02-06-2015, 8:33 AM
welcome to what forces being exterted does. it causes work to be done. did you expect that the rifle jumping around all suddenly from recoil would also force the rifle to somehow magically come back into precisely the position it was initially fired from?

milotrain
02-06-2015, 9:35 AM
Proper position either prone or on a bench will cause the rifle to return on target after recoil. This is much easier to accomplish with a good coach watching you shoot. It is not only possible but necessary to develop such a position or your shooting will never advance beyond a fairly basic level.

did you expect that the rifle jumping around all suddenly from recoil would also force the rifle to somehow magically come back into precisely the position it was initially fired from?
That's exactly what happens with a correct position.

I find it easier to do this in prone with a sling than on a bench or with bags/bipod, but that is just because slung up in prone is what I practice. LynnJR will tell you that a proper free recoil technique will do the same thing from a bench.

Rbutler
02-06-2015, 9:36 AM
shoting from a bench i think your going to get a bit of muzzle flip. if your right handed try shifting your hips a little to the left and leaning into it more.

I know prone it means your not lined up behind the rifle properly as a rifle should recoil into you. The rifle should move a bit but if lined up properly the rifle recoils into you and the scope should look like a camera shutter going black (from eye relief being out) then right back on target with no effort from you.

one way i test to see if im behind the rifle properly is to get setup close my eye and move my rifle right left up and down and let it settle naturally. if it settles on the target then i know im behind the rifle, if it settles to the L of the target then i need to shift my entire body L so that i line up behind it. that should get you pretty close.

BanjoGunner
02-06-2015, 11:47 AM
Are you right or left handed?

I find shooting from a bench makes it much harder to get your mass inline behind the rifle and creates torquing during the recoil. Prone is much preferred.

It shouldn't affect precision if you're not creating a parallax issue. But, it does make spotting your own impacts and follow up shots a lot harder at longer distances.
Right handed and I definitely have problems getting myself aligned behind the rifle when seated at the bench. I'm going to try prone next time.

Proper position either prone or on a bench will cause the rifle to return on target after recoil. This is much easier to accomplish with a good coach watching you shoot. It is not only possible but necessary to develop such a position or your shooting will never advance beyond a fairly basic level.

That's exactly what happens with a correct position.

I find it easier to do this in prone with a sling than on a bench or with bags/bipod, but that is just because slung up in prone is what I practice. LynnJR will tell you that a proper free recoil technique will do the same thing from a bench.
Yeah, I'm going to try prone next time, but eventually I'm going to need a coach.

shoting from a bench i think your going to get a bit of muzzle flip. if your right handed try shifting your hips a little to the left and leaning into it more.

I know prone it means your not lined up behind the rifle properly as a rifle should recoil into you. The rifle should move a bit but if lined up properly the rifle recoils into you and the scope should look like a camera shutter going black (from eye relief being out) then right back on target with no effort from you.

one way i test to see if im behind the rifle properly is to get setup close my eye and move my rifle right left up and down and let it settle naturally. if it settles on the target then i know im behind the rifle, if it settles to the L of the target then i need to shift my entire body L so that i line up behind it. that should get you pretty close.
Hmm, I was doing exactly the opposite: moving my hips in to the right to get more of my mass in line with the rifle. My thought was that with my hips out I was putting too much pressure on the stock with my chest and cheek weld and this was causing the rifle to torque to the left. I'll try this next time as well as shooting prone.

Thanks guys!

BG

milotrain
02-06-2015, 12:40 PM
Go to the clinic at Sac Valley.

BillyGoatCrawler
02-06-2015, 2:13 PM
welcome to what forces being exterted does. it causes work to be done. did you expect that the rifle jumping around all suddenly from recoil would also force the rifle to somehow magically come back into precisely the position it was initially fired from?

No need for the attitude.

OP:
I have more trouble keeping it online from a bench. But, as Bulter said, you want dead mass inline with the bore. When the gun recoils, you should have no net forces pushing left or right, and no spongeyness in your body mass(such as the buttstock far out on your shoulder) allowing it to torque left or right when the recoil pushing straight back is redirected.

You can drill this at home as well as your trigger and breathing control. Get a bipod and sand sock and lay prone in your firing position. You don't want your body laying at an angle to the bore axis, it should be more inline. Pick a small point of aim and practice your breathing control and trigger squeeze. Also, close your eyes, take a few breaths and try to relax up. Wait a few seconds. Then open your eyes. Are you still on target? You should be. If you're not and you were to have fired that shot, you would more than likely torque into that direction.

Keep practicing it. Once you start getting it right you will be able to spot your impacts in dirt at 100-200 yards and your follow up shots will be ready much more quickly.

highpower790
02-06-2015, 3:05 PM
As a sling shooter, I see a lot of people shoot prone as a rookie that look like a twisted pretzel.The upper body at a difflerent angle from the waist down.
To shoot accurately your body must be behind the rifle to absorb recoil,if not shots will go left or right,and play the game long enough you will develop a lower back problem due to poor position!

postal
02-07-2015, 3:50 PM
Even with your body inline with the rifle in prone, where exactly it sits in your shoulder can bounce it left or right too.

It takes a lot of experimenting to find the exact position. Then, it's hard to duplicate that position.....

Some people would call it a cheat, but a good muzzle brake will help a lot. It would still shift with a poor position, but not nearly as much.

I use 'schuler brakes'. Cheap, effective. google schuler brake and find a smith to install it..