PDA

View Full Version : Would this be a good choice for 1st timer? Please advice

Straight-shooter
02-03-2015, 8:27 PM
Hi, guys. This is going to be my first aR 15 and I'm debating to pick up one of these 2:
1.DANIEL DEFENSE M4 CARBINE, V7 LW
https://danieldefense.com/firearms/mid-length/daniel-defense-m4-carbine-v7-lw.html

2.Rainier Arms RUC MOD 2 - 16

http://www.rainierarms.com/rifle-rainier-arms-ructm-mod-2-16

They are about the same price range $1500-1600

Any thought? recommendation?

Loubot10
02-03-2015, 8:34 PM
Those are high priced for "1st AR". But I think they're both good to go.

About the only difference might be resale value, the DD might command a higher price if you decide you don't like the platform.IMHO

MrPlink
02-03-2015, 8:50 PM
DD all day

nate76239
02-03-2015, 9:28 PM
It looks like the Rainier model has a better trigger, both have chf 1/7 twist barrel. I hear DD customer service kicks butt not sure about Rainier.

Click Boom
02-03-2015, 10:12 PM
It looks like the Rainier model has a better trigger, both have chf 1/7 twist barrel. I hear DD customer service kicks butt not sure about Rainier.

DD are freaking sweet but a different fcg is mandatory, they make the worst triggers..... throw an alg in and you're g2g.

I would certainly take the dd over the Rainer and do the above, but not sure either are necessarily "best" first ar's because of price, unless the money isn't an issue. They are mighty fine rifles for sure, though.

major burnout
02-03-2015, 10:24 PM
Hi, guys. This is going to be my first aR 15 and I'm debating to pick up one of these 2:
1.DANIEL DEFENSE M4 CARBINE, V7 LW
https://danieldefense.com/firearms/mid-length/daniel-defense-m4-carbine-v7-lw.html

2.Rainier Arms RUC MOD 2 - 16

http://www.rainierarms.com/rifle-rainier-arms-ructm-mod-2-16

They are about the same price range $1500-1600

Any thought? recommendation?

My recommendation is dont limit yourself. If you are going to drop over $1000 on an AR save for a couple months and get a JP. I saw a JP listed in the ready rifle program for $1800 a few weeks ago. I would call JP and ask what is the most affordable AR they make and buy that.

Those are my thoughts.

bigbearbear
02-03-2015, 10:51 PM
How do you plan to use your AR-15? Do you mostly shoot on a bench at a range on covered position? Compete in 3-guns or something else?

Most folks prefer to mount an optic on their AR-15, did you budget that on top of the approximately $1600 you'll be spending on the rifle alone?

dtrump
02-03-2015, 10:55 PM
Id grab the dd v11 in grey. Such an awesome stick. Slap a brake and a trigger on her and go to town.

dtrump
02-03-2015, 11:00 PM
My recommendation is dont limit yourself. If you are going to drop over $1000 on an AR save for a couple months and get a JP. I saw a JP listed in the ready rifle program for $1800 a few weeks ago. I would call JP and ask what is the most affordable AR they make and buy that.

Those are my thoughts.

Jp's are nice for sure, but i dont think this guy needs or should get a jp for his first rifle. Comlared to most he already has a great budget flr the first. Jp are very specific kinda ar, made for extra accuracy from the bench (yes i know you dont have to shoot a jp from a bench but thats where its at home, or 3 gun comp) . A dd is accurate and a well rounded rifle. For his first ar15 I dont think hes concerned with a .1-.3 inch smaller group quite yet. They are nice though. I don't think you could go wrong either way

Mattias Lornburg
02-04-2015, 12:37 AM
I prefer DD, but never a lightweight barrel. I'm a medium barrel guy :) girth is more important then length, at least that's what my women says. :)

haha. yeah, medium contour all the way.

roger1022
02-04-2015, 12:39 AM
DD are freaking sweet but a different fcg is mandatory, they make the worst triggers..... throw an alg in and you're g2g.

I would certainly take the dd over the Rainer and do the above, but not sure either are necessarily "best" first ar's because of price, unless the money isn't an issue. They are mighty fine rifles for sure, though.

Just wondering, are the DD triggers that bad to warrant a new one?

Straight-shooter
02-04-2015, 1:31 AM
How do you plan to use your AR-15? Do you mostly shoot on a bench at a range on covered position? Compete in 3-guns or something else?

Most folks prefer to mount an optic on their AR-15, did you budget that on top of the approximately $1600 you'll be spending on the rifle alone?

i'm fortunate enough to have some more cash for optic. This is just for my rifle. I'm the type of guy that rather spend more to get 1 than spend less and end up with 2 or 3.
Thanks for all the comment guys. I'll look into JD. I actually have my eyes on Larue PredartObr which is in stock in one of my LGS. But it's kinda over my budget. Larue sure gets great reviews that i've seen so far.

MrPlink
02-04-2015, 1:45 AM
Just wondering, are the DD triggers that bad to warrant a new one?

It's a slightly above average milspec type trigger.
They are typically craptastic when new, but once broken in they are usable (ask the military) but not great.

The fact that there are several quality aftermarket triggers for AR15's makes it a common item to upgrade.

If you are new to the AR I would say keep it at least for a 1000 rounds or so and then decide if it's something you really need to change

SonofWWIIDI
02-04-2015, 1:54 AM
Both are very nice.

But why not just build your own. Get a decent lower, LPK, and either buy or build an upper. That way you can customize it exactly the way you want it.

And it's fun!

The War Wagon
02-04-2015, 4:19 AM
Daniel Defense

/thread

VendetAR
02-04-2015, 12:50 PM
DD is a winner. Get a Geissele SSAE trigger and an Aimpoint and you will have one of the most reliable, rugged and accurate ARs for under $2500.

Granted, its sometimes better to learn with crappy stuff so you know WHY the good stuff is actually better. Then again, buy once cry once.

Jimi Jah
02-04-2015, 2:33 PM
Good, yet pricy. Build with a DD barrel and good parts and save while you learn. Take your time and learn all the tricks and best parts here. My first AR was a Colt 6920. Sold it when I built a better gun. Never looked back.

major burnout
02-04-2015, 2:54 PM
Jp's are nice for sure, but i dont think this guy needs or should get a jp for his first rifle. Comlared to most he already has a great budget flr the first. Jp are very specific kinda ar, made for extra accuracy from the bench (yes i know you dont have to shoot a jp from a bench but thats where its at home, or 3 gun comp) . A dd is accurate and a well rounded rifle. For his first ar15 I dont think hes concerned with a .1-.3 inch smaller group quite yet. They are nice though. I don't think you could go wrong either way

http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=RRJP15ORRC-18

$1699

The JP Is more accurate. Better trigger, better bolt, better carrier, better everything really. The fit and finnish on JP rifles Is second to none. Comes with a very good trigger so he wont need to buy one for $200.

OP skip on the DD and Rainer. Get a JP.

dtrump
02-04-2015, 5:30 PM
http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=RRJP15ORRC-18

$1699

The JP Is more accurate. Better trigger, better bolt, better carrier, better everything really. The fit and finnish on JP rifles Is second to none. Comes with a very good trigger so he wont need to buy one for $200.

OP skip on the DD and Rainer. Get a JP.

Ah i stand corrected my good sir. I didnt think they had anything under 2k when i was browsing a few months back.

RobertMW
02-05-2015, 7:58 AM
Those are high priced for "1st AR". But I think they're both good to go.

Hey, if you have the capital to start out with a good quality rifle you should do it. It would cost almost the same to get an $800 rifle and then progressively throw away the cheap crap you don't want, and buy better parts.

tanakasan
02-05-2015, 9:33 AM
DD...done.

Robert

Bralowe
02-05-2015, 6:36 PM
One more vote for DD.

tacticalcity
02-05-2015, 6:42 PM
+ for the DD

major burnout
02-05-2015, 6:55 PM
Ah i stand corrected my good sir. I didnt think they had anything under 2k when i was browsing a few months back.

I was happy to see the prices come down too.

The op has many different routes he can take. A PSA rifle and a 3x acog. A PSA and a ton of ammo. Or a $1500 DD with a nasty looking(IMO) rubbery textured stock and crappy trigger. Or a JP.

Legasat
02-05-2015, 6:57 PM
I agree. DD and out!

ElvenSoul
02-05-2015, 7:00 PM
Have you looked at LMT?

L84CABO
02-05-2015, 9:11 PM
DD. V7 is a great choice. Trigger is meh. Save your pennies and swap it when you can.