PDA

View Full Version : Hot bluing.

STEWMAN
01-04-2015, 4:54 PM
Anyone know of a place that doe's hot bluing in the inland impire or orange county area?

cas0914
01-04-2015, 5:50 PM
Walmart sells a drain cleaner that is almost perfect, do it your self for 15 bucks.

Buy cheap stainless pot, add drain cleaner to water, heat.
Degrease parts in boiling water with a little simple green.
Rinse
Put stainless pot for 20 mins.
Rinse, spray with wd40

Search Google for diy hot blue

Here ya go
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/41492-Backyard-hot-caustic-bluing

AK all day
01-04-2015, 5:51 PM
Walmart sells a drain cleaner that is almost perfect, do it your self for 15 bucks.

Buy cheap stainless pot, add drain cleaner to water, heat.
Degrease parts in boiling water with a little simple green.
Rinse
Put stainless pot for 20 mins.
Rinse, spray with wd40

Search Google for diy hot blue

This might be problematic when trying to do an entire rifle?

cas0914
01-04-2015, 6:08 PM
This might be problematic when trying to do an entire rifle?

Not really a few stainless drywall mud pans screwed together sealed with high temp rtv, make a pain as long as you need it

But I say this as a guy who anodized an aluminum 1911 frame, then dura coated it. Then parkerized the steel parts then dura coated them all with home brew stuff except the dura coat

cas0914
01-04-2015, 6:36 PM
Just to show off. Enough parts to show contrast from black parts and magpul green

http://i62.tinypic.com/zwgplg.jpg

fred40
01-04-2015, 7:02 PM
This looks easy.. Dangerous but easy.

cas0914
01-04-2015, 7:07 PM
It is easy, but I am not a fan of blueing. It's not very rust resistant, I personally like parkerizing.

Gunsmith Dan
01-05-2015, 7:49 AM
That is not Hot Bluing that is Cold Bluing, which is about as durable as taking a black Sharpie and coloring the metal.

The "HOT" in Hot Bluing means it is done at around 300 degrees F and when done correctly is much more durable than Parkerizing and the same as far as rust resistance.

Parkerized finishes only seem more resistant because it is a porous finish so it holds more oil on the surface than Bluing, so it takes longer for the oil to evaporate.

If you stripped all the oil off a Parkerized finish it rusts faster than Hot Bluing since the porous surface will trap water vapor.

In the greater LA area use Hot Flash Refinishing if you want a from the factory type of Hot Bluing.

cas0914
01-05-2015, 11:01 AM
Actually Dan the link I put In above is hot blueing.

As for rust resistance, I mean all around resistance. Yes if you don't count oil in it blueing is resistant but in real world because park holds oil it is less likely to rust. We won't even get into pitting that happens to blued finishes when they rust. Yes park can rust and pit but it is less likely to be as damaging to the metal.

Gunsmith Dan
01-07-2015, 12:02 AM
You forgot to mention in your post the nice dangerous part of boiling the solution on a camping stove.

Yea unless you want to get poisoned or burned better to have a professional do it ....... we only talking a couple hundred dollars not thousands of dollars for a professional job.

cedew
01-07-2015, 7:28 AM
I read a study about the many hidden dangers that surround ourselves and it said that the #1 cause of death, was life. It further concluded that we should all kill ourselves before we get hurt. Just something to think about. #safetyfirst

cedew
01-07-2015, 8:04 AM
Shush you, now hold my beer...I got this! Seriously though, you just take a few simple steps that allow you to perform dangerous actions in a safe manner, just like a hundred other tasks in life. Shooting guns is dangerous, but we take some steps to do it safely; wear eye/ear protection, make sure nobody is down range, handle as if they're all loaded, etc. Moving two tons of steel at 75mph is incredibly dangerous, but we wear seat belts, look both ways, etc. The guy in the linked article is in a ventilated area, has a hose nearby, etc. Just...imagine where we'd be today if we halted operations every time someone said something was dangerous. Sorry, it's just that the women in HR at work who don't let us carry more than 50lbs, or climb ladders above 6ft, have turned everyone into raving pansies and I get so tired of the mentality that it makes me want to be dangerous for no good reason. It's like the whole gun mentality, they want to take them away which only makes people want them more. So, be dangerous, live on the edge, go outside!

kcstott
01-07-2015, 2:06 PM
I read a study about the many hidden dangers that surround ourselves and it said that the #1 cause of death, was life. It further concluded that we should all kill ourselves before we get hurt. Just something to think about. #safetyfirst

Dan's just trying to justify his existence :43:

Cessnapilot89
01-09-2015, 5:23 PM
You can do really nice hot bluing with Spectacide Stump remover . It is pure salt peter and makes a really nice royal blue. I have been doing it on a cheap stainless pot and a turkey friar burner for small things like bolts, mags, and little parts.