PDA

View Full Version : How do you blacken stainless steel parts?

ricky s
01-04-2015, 9:59 AM
I have a stainless mini 14 choate flash hider and front sight assembly I'd like to match my blued rifle. Since there will be hot gas flowing through the part during firing, I was wondering if anyone knew how to chemically or in some other way darken the stainless finish. Or maybe someone has a blued model of this flash hider to sell or trade. Thanks in advance. :confused:

ar15barrels
01-04-2015, 10:12 AM
Black Oxide.

I use a company called Pentrate Processing in los angeles.

bridgeport
01-04-2015, 10:13 AM
Here you go: http://www.caswellplating.com/metal-finishing-solutions/stainless-steel-blackener/stainless-steel-blackener-1-pint.html

ricky s
01-04-2015, 10:16 AM
Thanks guys, I was reading that Birchwood Casey has an aluminium black that also works on stainless steel. Has anyone had experience with this product?

ar15barrels
01-04-2015, 10:19 AM
Thanks guys, I was reading that Birchwood Casey has an aluminium black that also works on stainless steel. Has anyone had experience with this product?

None of the do-it-yourself cold processes do a very good quality job.
That's why I use the hot process as done by professionals who do it every day.

ricky s
01-04-2015, 10:26 AM
Thanks Randall. I just didn't want to go through the hassle and expense for one small part. Oh well..

ar15barrels
01-04-2015, 10:46 AM
Thanks Randall. I just didn't want to go through the hassle and expense for one small part. Oh well..

I think I paid around $35 for them to do a small part.
About what the DIY stuff costs...

ricky s
01-04-2015, 11:50 AM
Well that sounds like the right choice. I'll fit the part first and then contact them. Thanks again!

FMJBT
01-04-2015, 3:21 PM

I tried the Aluma-Black on an 80% lower just to see how it would work. It came out really well I thought. Nice matte black finish. The bad part though is that it is not durable at all. Not even a little. A sharpie pen would probably look like Cerakote or hard anodizing compared to the Aluma-Black, actually. Later I stripped 90% of that finish off using nothing more than an old toothbrush.

I've had decent luck with their cold blue products on steel, but will never use the Aluminum stuff again.

ricky s
01-04-2015, 5:56 PM
Thanks for the heads-up.