PDA

View Full Version : How often should I contact a gunsmith to check on status of a job?

thegreatcow
12-29-2014, 12:16 PM
Good afternoon folks!

Got kind of a general query regarding some gunsmithing I'm currently having done to one of my rifles.

It's a Howa 1500 30.06 that got re-barreled with an ER Shaw #5 contour bull barrel, and the gunsmith I've brought it to is performing the following for me:

Bedding it into a Manners T4A Composite Stock (http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-584/Manners-Weatherby-Vanguard--fdsh-/Detail)
Installing an extended bolt handle
Installing a Timney Trigger

I dropped off the rifle at the gunsmith's shop mid October and I haven't heard much of any progress save for one update near the end of October regarding how much bedding I wanted to remove from the stock to see if I wanted to free float the barrel. Since then, nada on the communication front.

My question to you folks is how often is it considered appropriate to contact the gunsmith for a status update on a gunsmithing job like this or say cerakoting services? I know things are crazy right now for a lot of gunsmiths with SSE and general shenanigans, but how often can I contact someone without coming across as pushy or rude?

I kind of want my rifle back! :o

spyde12
12-29-2014, 12:32 PM
Since the last update was 2 months ago, I would contact the gunsmith with a courtesy call. I'm guessing that you didn't have a defined protocol on how often he will update you. It would be beneficial for both parties to be on the same page.
It's not like you've called every other week and then posted this question. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

ElvenSoul
12-29-2014, 12:33 PM
Call every 7 to 10 minutes!

WizeWizard
12-29-2014, 12:42 PM
Depends. Did Yall talk about pillar bedding?
I think your stock needs to be pillar bedded.
I did the soundtrack for this vid.

http://youtu.be/AEyB9USP-cw

shooterfpga
12-29-2014, 12:55 PM
Call every 7 to 10 minutes!
Im with you. I had contacted a smith to do a pillar bedding job. He quoted me at something like 300 dollars and 3 months wait. I only tried to sub it out because i didnt want to deal with it at the time. Even though its a 3 day process max taking my time and about $40 in supplies.

kcstott
12-29-2014, 2:00 PM
Well I just finished a job for a customer that took my just shy of two years to complete. An email a month or every few was the norm. But if he's already working on it he should have let you know when it was being started and when he expects to finish.

thegreatcow
12-29-2014, 2:09 PM
Thanks for all of the replies folks. Yeah I should have gotten a better schedule on communication guidelines beyond "we'll call you when it's done". I just didn't want to come across as too pushy. I figure I'll drop them a line tomorrow since they're closed today.

kcstott
12-29-2014, 2:16 PM
Thanks for all of the replies folks. Yeah I should have gotten a better schedule on communication guidelines beyond "we'll call you when it's done". I just didn't want to come across as too pushy. I figure I'll drop them a line tomorrow since they're closed today.

If I did that with my last big job well he shipped his stuff in February and i would have called him in November..... of the following year. 20 months total

MXRider
12-29-2014, 2:49 PM
I'm currently waiting for a few things to come back. My mentality is that it's done when it's done and checking in doesn't do much good. If you trust the guy just wait patiently.

shooterfpga
12-29-2014, 2:56 PM
There two smiths that have the ultimate worst customer service ever in the industry. But because theyre considered the subject matter expect people still use them.

Gunsmith Dan
12-29-2014, 10:21 PM
thegreatcow

Ahh you seemed to have left out what did the gunsmith give you as the original estimated turn around. While it is hard to have a specific date and time when doing custom work any professional would at least give you a ball park estimate even if they are really busy.

The U.S. average wait time right now for professional gunsmiths is 6 weeks for normal services and almost 10 months for very custom work.

BUT

that is a average not unheard of for the very busy and popular gunsmiths to tell customers the wait time will be 1+ years for custom work.

In the entire U.S. there is only a total of 1500 licensed gunsmiths, including part and full time, but over 200 million firearms ......... so even if only 1% needed work you can see why they are backed up.

Twystd1
12-29-2014, 10:32 PM
Or you can go to AR15 barrels and get the same treatment in a day or 2.

-T

Beatone
12-29-2014, 11:14 PM
Who's the gunsmith?

Gunsmith Dan
12-29-2014, 11:36 PM
While AR15Barrels/Randall is top notch and is extremely good even he could not do stock bedding on a bolt action as a same day service.

thegreatcow
12-30-2014, 7:40 AM
Who's the gunsmith?

Bain and Davis down in San Gabriel. The main reason I'm curious is they were so quick with my 1911 trigger job and I admit I'm a complete babe in the woods when it comes to bolt action rifles so I wasn't sure how long to expect for a bedding/bolt/trigger job.

JTROKS
12-30-2014, 9:33 AM
In a shop where there are several gunsmiths working some of them specialize on certain areas of expertise. Any pistolsmith worth hiring should be able to do a standard 1911 trigger job, but not too many capable of a safe sub 2 lb. Not many would even consider promising a 1lb trigger.

The riflesmith may have a lot on his plate. Lathe work takes some time for setting up. Curing the bedding takes a week.

They should've given an approximate date once that date is reached you can call them. If not complete then they should give you an update.