PDA

View Full Version : ar15, south paw, loving the smells

Red9
12-22-2014, 6:45 AM
per title, im a south paw and shoot the ar platform. is it me, or does anyone else love the smell of 556 in the morning?
being a lefty, and shooting with my nose on the charging handle, my nose gets a good wiff on every shot.
am i alone? thinking this is the best cologne out there?
dino

Jimi Jah
12-22-2014, 7:27 AM
Not if it's that Russian ammo. Smells like camel crap to me. Varget smells good though.

echoThreeOneSix
12-22-2014, 7:28 AM
i have never noticed that... local range banned AR's unless you take their class

Red9
12-22-2014, 7:44 AM
i have never noticed that... local range banned AR's unless you take their class

wtf?? really? never heard of that up north. thats a little scary. no semi autos unless a class is taken? does this include any semi auto long guns?

echoThreeOneSix
12-22-2014, 7:45 AM
wtf?? really? never heard of that up north. thats a little scary. no semi autos unless a class is taken? does this include any semi auto long guns?

i don't know, he let me shoot a lever henry, but not my AR. he said no exceptions for military either...

Red9
12-22-2014, 7:51 AM
i don't know, he let me shoot a lever henry, but not my AR. he said no exceptions for military either...

yeah i guess ex-mil wont know how to handle a semi/rifle/ar/ak/barret safe.
sheesh.

echoThreeOneSix
12-22-2014, 7:52 AM
yeah i guess ex-mil wont know how to handle a semi/rifle/ar/ak/barret safe.
sheesh.

that range has really gone down hill. it's super bummy, they use clothes hangers and paper clips to hold on targets. all the range guns are super dirty to the point of grittiness and difficult operation. terrible place, but it's close so I go... :(

Red9
12-22-2014, 7:59 AM
that range has really gone down hill. it's super bummy, they use clothes hangers and paper clips to hold on targets. all the range guns are super dirty to the point of grittiness and difficult operation. terrible place, but it's close so I go... :(

that sucs, sorry to hear that. i live in the bay area, closest range is about 10 miles. kinda not so nice either. but at least they have decent targets and holders. just really strict at my local spot. which is a good thing i guess.

never had any issues with my ar at any norcal range. interesting about yours down south. maybe the fmj and fires?

best range by far is about 60 miles north, in sacremento. wish we had a nice range down here that would allow silhouette and rapid fire.

MrBlazito
12-22-2014, 9:56 AM

Take a trip to Oak Tree Gun Club. 45 min drive from LA, but you get to shoot your AR.

MXRider
12-22-2014, 10:02 AM
I shot my AR in my backyard yesterday.

major burnout
12-22-2014, 1:18 PM
Wolf ammo fumes give me a headache and sore throat. Nitrate poisoning. Domestic blends not so much.

major burnout
12-22-2014, 1:19 PM

Lets see your range.

MXRider
12-22-2014, 1:24 PM
Lets see your range.

I just staple a target to an old tree at home. But my local gun club is one of the nicest facilities in the area.

CSACANNONEER
12-22-2014, 1:24 PM

Another calgunner came over yesterday to qualify with a new gun for his CCW. He brought his 4 year old son along to shoot his AR in .22lr at my place.

MXRider
12-22-2014, 1:26 PM
Another calgunner came over yesterday to qualify with a new gun for his CCW. He brought his 4 year old son along to shoot his AR in .22lr at my place.

It's good being able to shoot on your own property and not have anyone know or care.

MrPlink
12-22-2014, 2:39 PM
I've definitely experience some rank odors thanks to surp ammo before.
Though I remember once I had a batch of 762x54r (don't recall what country of origin) that smelled like bacon

BLK RFL DIV
12-22-2014, 2:51 PM

What is the name of this range?

I know On Target in Laguna Nigel requires a rifle class before you can use their rifle lanes. The main reason they do it is because there are so many shooters out there, new to shooting or have been shooting their wholes lives, who have terrible range etiquette. Some places do not have a safety protocol in place for all the shooters entering the range and you'll get muzzle swept a couple of times throughout your session, because safety is not a concern for many or they simply have not been taught basic fundamentals.

7N6 smells like cat pee.

Red9
12-22-2014, 2:59 PM
I kinda like the tula

Grumpyoldretiredcop
12-22-2014, 3:07 PM
I've noticed that smell, being a lefty myself. It doesn't bother me unless I'm shooting some of that cheap Centurion .22LR... I don't know what they put in it, but it smells like overripe fruit when it burns.