PDA

View Full Version : Uh-Oh! Remington .308 AR (in .243 too!)

BillCA
05-16-2008, 1:57 PM
My wallet is about to get thinner...

Looks like Remington is into the AR game with a new R-25 "Sporter" rifle.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_r-25.asp

Remington is excited to announce the Model R-25, a modular repeating rifle designed for big game hunters. The Model R-25 is available in 243 Win., 7mm-08 Remington and 308 Win.; three of today’s most popular short action hunting cartridges.

From their advertising copy:

Free-floated button-rifled 0.680" Muzzle OD ChroMoly barrels with recessed hunting crown for superior accuracy
Fluted barrel design reduces weight and promotes rapid barrel cooling
Clean-breaking single-stage hunting trigger (factory set to 4.5-5lbs)
Receiver-length Picatinny rail for adding optics and accessories
Ergonomic pistol grip for rock solid aiming and controlFront and rear sling swivel studs
Full Mossy Oak® Treestand™ coverage
Includes 4-round magazine
Legal for hunting in most states
Compatible with aftermarket AR 308 Win. type magazines
Lockable hard case included

Photo attached.

Saigon1965
05-16-2008, 2:10 PM
Humm, wonder whose making the stuff for them.

NSR500
05-16-2008, 2:10 PM
I like the fact that models like this one from Remington add to the "Sporting Purpose" of the AR platform. :D

Greenspartan117
05-16-2008, 2:24 PM
I got this announcement in my email today too. I wonder if they are Cali legal? BB should work on these...

Hunter
05-16-2008, 2:28 PM
I like the fact that models like this one from Remington add to the "Sporting Purpose" of the AR platform. :D

I was thinking the same thing. Here we have the oldest arms maker in the USA, known for supplying some of the finest guns for our hunting heritage and shooting sports, offering these guns. Who says the Zumbo factor was not at work here! More power to them.

NRAhighpowershooter
05-16-2008, 2:37 PM
ooohhh....oooohhh... I want a 7mm-08 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D

MILLITIAof1
05-16-2008, 2:39 PM
I got this announcement in my email today too. I wonder if they are Cali legal? BB should work on these...

I would say MMG all the way, it only has 1 evil feature that I could tell and that was the pistol grip.

ar15barrels
05-16-2008, 2:40 PM
Let's not forget that Cerebus (sp?) owns Remington, Bushmaster and DPMS...
That's a DPMS mag in the picture.

caduckgunner
05-16-2008, 2:40 PM

Bushmaster, as they are both owned by Cerbius (Sp?), the people who bought Chrysler.

ar15barrels
05-16-2008, 2:41 PM
Bushmaster, as they are both owned by Cerbius (Sp?), the people who bought Chrysler.

See the post above. ;)

UBFRAGD
05-16-2008, 2:43 PM
:)
All my Rems work great; they are the Glock of rifle makers; sign me up for one in 308!!!!

rbgaynor
05-16-2008, 2:54 PM

Cerberus Capital. In Greek mythology Cerberus was the three-headed dog that guarded the gates of hell. I love that image.

Spyder
05-16-2008, 3:04 PM
Fer crapssake! I just ordered a bunch of stuff and I'm out of cash. Damnitt damnitt damnitt...

Keep us posted on any new info on this one though... I'm assuming that once you have the lower built, you could swap uppers to shoot any of three calibers? If so, I'd DEFINITELY be interested in building a Fulton lower, if it is DPMS based, as was mentioned on here...

1064chubbs
05-16-2008, 3:21 PM

Bushmaster

pc_city
05-16-2008, 3:22 PM
DPMS stuff doesn't excite me.:sleeping:

ar15barrels
05-16-2008, 3:43 PM
DPMS stuff doesn't excite me.:sleeping:

That's ok, there will be enough others that do get excited.
Most people really don't even know who makes what parts on AR's anyways...
All they know is the name marked on the side.

NSR500
05-16-2008, 3:52 PM
If you look at the Forward Assist it does look like the DPMS.

shark92651
05-16-2008, 4:00 PM
I would say MMG all the way, it only has 1 evil feature that I could tell and that was the pistol grip.

Looks like Monsterman will have to come up with a realtree version of the MMG now :D

huck
05-16-2008, 4:05 PM
Looks like Monsterman will have to come up with a realtree version of the MMG now :D

Mossy Oak

tom_92673
05-16-2008, 4:10 PM

Monster Man ought to patent that grip idea and sell it to Remington as a reseller for entry into CA.

P.S. Do you think this was already in the works before and it inspired their quick action against Zumbo?

ldivinag
05-16-2008, 4:10 PM

though i wouldnt mind an all black version...

ar15barrels
05-16-2008, 4:12 PM
P.S. Do you think this was already in the works before and it inspired their quick action against Zumbo?

I think the Zumbo affair made big green wake-up and realize that black rifles could be sold to the walnut rifle masses if properly branded and labeled.

Adonlude
05-16-2008, 4:57 PM
though i wouldnt mind an all black version...

+1

This is a well priced entry level AR-10, just wish it came in black.

justincredible
05-16-2008, 4:59 PM
I wonder when these will be available in CA? Looks like i have to do another side job now, this gun disease is a tuff one to cure.:gunsmilie:

pc_city
05-16-2008, 5:16 PM
+1

This is a well priced entry level AR-10, just wish it came in black.

It's got DPMS upper, lower and mag. Don't call it an AR-10 please.

Solidsnake87
05-16-2008, 5:24 PM
Thats nothing more than a DPMS in camo.

Solidsnake87
05-16-2008, 5:26 PM
The rock river will be a better buy. Especially when they release their varminter for $1300. I'd take the RRA over this puppy any day.

jimbo1747
05-16-2008, 5:43 PM
I'm just glad another manufacturer is coming out with another .308 AR. The more the merrier I say. It wasn't that long ago that the only .308 AR that was available was Armalite.

Heck, I remember back in the 80's when your only choices for .223 AR's were Colt, Bushmaster, or Olympic?! Now we have so many choices for .223 AR's it will make your head spin! :D

MonsterMan
05-16-2008, 6:32 PM
Monster Man ought to patent that grip idea and sell it to Remington as a reseller for entry into CA.

The MMG is already Patented. :)

PolishMike
05-16-2008, 6:44 PM
Cerberus Capital. In Greek mythology Cerberus was the three-headed dog that guarded the gates of hell. I love that image.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v59/ikilledit29/HOMM5_Inferno_Creature_Cerberus-1.jpg

nic
05-16-2008, 6:58 PM
Wonder what the street price will be if MSRP is $1500...

Mssr. Eleganté
05-16-2008, 7:26 PM

When the head of Remington issued the press release saying that Zumbo was fired, he mentioned in it that they were about to release an AR style rifle.

- EDIT-

Actually, it wasn't in the official press release, but in the statement he sent out to all of the gun forums.

...Jim Zumbo in NO WAY speaks for Remington! His opinions are his own. We at Remington take our 2nd Ammendment Rights extremely seriously and ourselves market and manufacturer a AR based 308 rifle. Remington Arms supports the lawful use of all firearms by thier owners in whatever legal manner they choose. We at Remington feel that it is the diversity of our tastes and uses of fireaems that should also be the binding element that assists us all in defending the rights granted to us by our fore fathers.

PIRATE14
05-16-2008, 9:53 PM
Well we already had a couple R-15s roll through.......so the 308s are next.....

Street Price.....depends on what channels they flow through....and how many are available.....

Full Clip
05-17-2008, 1:05 AM

I'd buy a "Cerberus"-branded rifle:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5f/Hercules_capturing_Cerberus.jpg
But it takes Hercules to handle one...

BillCA
05-17-2008, 8:12 AM
What caught my eye was that they chambered an AR platform for the .243 Winchester round. I've always liked this round as a medium hunting round and used one to dispatch a coyote or five at a friend's property in Arizona half a lifetime ago. The idea of buying a .308 and adding a .243 upper for hunting lighter critters is appealing. A combination battle rifle & game getter in one platform.

Someone else touched on the fact that with Remington offering it in 7mm-08 and .243, you can now point it out to the anti-gunners who say you don't need an "assault weapon" to hunt deer and say "Why not? Remington makes one expressly for that purpose."

I'd also argue that even in the .243 Win configuration, simply slapping in a 20-round magazine converts your hunting rifle into a militia rifle to fulfill your obligation to the milita act of 1792. :D

Fjold
05-17-2008, 9:20 AM
Great, that means less people will buy Fultons

ar15barrels
05-17-2008, 10:17 AM
Great, that means less people will buy Fultons

:) Exactly.
Screw Fulton for screwing Californians.

Q
05-17-2008, 11:56 AM
+100:D

:) Exactly.
Screw Fulton for screwing Californians.

+2 but at least they had the CA sage stock on their site.:)