PDA

View Full Version : Fixed 10rd m1a, could I add "evil features" legally?

Rac97crawford
05-15-2008, 11:49 PM
Hello again all. I was looking around on the Internet tonight and I came across this web sight.
http://www.fulton-armory.com/MAParts.htm

And then it go me thinking. So in the case of an AR-15, If you have a fixed 10 round mag then you can have all the evil features you want and it's still not an "assault weapon".
So does the same rule apply to other rifles like an M1A Socom ii. If There was a way to fixed a 10 round mag on my socom, would I be able to dress it like one of these fulton-armory M14's.
If the answer is yes, then of course my next question would be does anyone know how? Is there something like a "bullet button" for an M1A? or (And I don't think I would ever go here..) If someone welded the mag or machining it in place, would it then be legal?

thefifthspeed
05-16-2008, 1:04 AM
Yes, the same rules apply so if you fixed your mag you could add evil features. I can't answer your second questions because I've never seen it done, I'm sure it out there though.

Rac97crawford
05-16-2008, 6:57 AM
that's what I though. Now I just have to figure out how to fix the mag and not mess up the gun. maybe I'll order up a replacement mag catch. I might be able to modify the catch and not the gun.
I'm surprised that someone or some company hasn't' figured out a way to do this and put the fix on the market. Granted it would only be needed by people in CA.
Thanks for the quick reply. And if anyone else has any feed back I'd love to hear it.

elenius
05-16-2008, 7:47 AM
I'm dying to have the Troy MCS myself, but I enjoy my detachable magazines too much.

Keep in mind that the M1A doesn't have a button type mag release to start with, so a "bullet button" would most likely be similar to the ones for AKs and FALs, where a housing is fixed around the release, with a slit to insert the tool. It won't be as convenient and non-intrusive as the AR BB.

chickenfried
05-16-2008, 7:54 AM
I don't think there's that even that much interest in CA for the mod. I'm surprised that someone or some company hasn't' figured out a way to do this and put the fix on the market. Granted it would only be needed by people in CA.

DrjonesUSA
05-16-2008, 9:32 AM
Is it really worth mucking up an M1A like that just so you can have a pistol grip and flash suppressor?

tenring
05-16-2008, 9:33 AM
Is it really worth mucking up an M1A like that just so you can have a pistol grip and flash suppressor?

+1, nothing wrong with the M1A just the way it is. :confused:

Ironchef
05-16-2008, 9:41 AM
I'd muck up an SKS like that, but not an M1A...it's a work of art as it is. So who wants to give me an M1A?

LAK Supply
05-16-2008, 9:46 AM
Why why why?!?!?!

Rac97crawford
05-16-2008, 4:01 PM
I would never do anything to my M1A to mess it up. No no no!! I just saw that Troy MCS and the wheels started spinning.
I LOVE my detachables for the M1A, even though they are only 10's.. But I do like all the cool military tactical accessory that could be added, Or "evil features" as they have been named.
I'd still want to see if I can find something to lock the mag that won't hurt the rifle. I like to know what all my options are.
Thanks for the help.

Hologon
05-16-2008, 10:53 PM
One of the employees at Irvington Arms has done a 'bullet button' style modification to his M14 pattern rifle. It does require minor and permanent alteration to both the trigger group housing and to the magazine release paddle. Like all the other 'bullet button' style releases out there, you remove the magazine using a tool like a spent casing or a short piece of dowel.

If you opt to move out of CA to a state that doesn't have an AW ban, you can probably swap out the altered magazine release paddle for a unaltered one and your rifle will be 100% restored (functionally).

IMO, the Troy MCS really improves the ergonomics of the M14/M1A.

Peashooter
05-16-2008, 11:14 PM
Its a shame we put out so much effort into compliing with the stupid law inflicted on law abiding citizens than using the effort to get rid of the idiots that enacted it?
WTF?

jtv3062
05-17-2008, 1:15 PM
I thought about this, I do not plan to this, just what a if.
It would be as simple as the cutting the paddle off of the mag release.

Dont Tread on Me
05-17-2008, 2:00 PM
+1, nothing wrong with the M1A just the way it is. :confused:

+1. It would be like fitting a chastity belt to Hally Berry so you could enlarge her chest.

tygerpaw
05-17-2008, 3:59 PM
way before the OLL thing I built a GI type M1A and cut the mag release off so you could only operate it with a bullet tip or screw driver. I wanted the original look as much as possible. I put a wood block in the mag to make it ten rounds and riveted the floor plate to the block. I got it all done and it didnt look right with out the mag release sticking down, and I didnt want to be a test case, so the rifle never left the house like that. I kicked myself and put the brake back on and a new mag release in. Not worth the trouble. I guess it mightbe if you want to put it in a Sage EBR stock with a mag lock that's easily removable when you get tired of being Californicated and leave the for the free world..........

Saigon1965
05-17-2008, 4:17 PM
CSeabass did it. The different chasis does serve a different purpose.

One of the employees at Irvington Arms has done a 'bullet button' style modification to his M14 pattern rifle. It does require minor and permanent alteration to both the trigger group housing and to the magazine release paddle. Like all the other 'bullet button' style releases out there, you remove the magazine using a tool like a spent casing or a short piece of dowel.

If you opt to move out of CA to a state that doesn't have an AW ban, you can probably swap out the altered magazine release paddle for a unaltered one and your rifle will be 100% restored (functionally).

IMO, the Troy MCS really improves the ergonomics of the M14/M1A.

Yankee Clipper
05-18-2008, 9:22 AM
Hello again all. I was looking around on the Internet tonight and I came across this web sight.
http://www.fulton-armory.com/MAParts.htm

And then it go me thinking. So in the case of an AR-15, If you have a fixed 10 round mag then you can have all the evil features you want and it's still not an "assault weapon".
So does the same rule apply to other rifles like an M1A Socom ii. If There was a way to fixed a 10 round mag on my socom, would I be able to dress it like one of these fulton-armory M14's.
If the answer is yes, then of course my next question would be does anyone know how? Is there something like a "bullet button" for an M1A? or (And I don't think I would ever go here..) If someone welded the mag or machining it in place, would it then be legal?

Rac97crawford – If your going to trick-out an M1A SOCOM you might want to get a regular sized M1A for shooting at distances 200 yards and greater. The more you shoot the more you’ll want to ring out the best of the 308 caliber: that means distances from 200 to 1K yards. The distance between the front and the rear site of the M1A SOCOM, as well as the shortened barrel will limit that endeavor. If you just want a rifle to plink with and you’re going to be firing at only at 100 yard ranges, stay with your original plan. Just my opinion!

shawnyteee
05-18-2008, 9:27 AM
Get an AR-10 if you want an 308 pistol grip.

IMO. Once you neuter and rape an American rifle like the M1A by adding a pistol grip,mag lock, and car stock, you no longer have an M1A. More like M1G.A.Y Get an AR-10

gosparx
05-18-2008, 9:33 AM
If you want to trick out an M1A and still leave her fully function, in fact BETTER then before, try a JAE-100 stock.

Of course I am a little bias because I just happen to have one up for sale on here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=100856

But that is beside the point. The JAE is an awesome stock and is still 100% CA compliant, detachable magazines and all!!

heycorey
05-18-2008, 5:14 PM
If you want to trick out an M1A and still leave her fully function, in fact BETTER then before, try a JAE-100 stock.

Of course I am a little bias because I just happen to have one up for sale on here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=100856

But that is beside the point. The JAE is an awesome stock and is still 100% CA compliant, detachable magazines and all!!

+1 on the new JAE-100 G2 ... I think this is proving to be one of the best options available (regardless of whether you live in CA or not).

On the other hand, if you want to use something like a Sage-EBR stock (and still have a viable cheek-rest), one way to lock the mag is to drill a hole in the mag-release paddle and insert some like this:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f225/heystuart/SAFixedMagRelease02.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f225/heystuart/SAFixedMagRelease04.jpg

(Note: Someone with a lot more experience than me did this ... I've just got a couple of pic's)

gosparx
05-18-2008, 5:29 PM
That's actually a nice little trick to know just incase they ever (or "when" they???) ban ANY and ALL detachable magazines.

Of course the problem with that design (and some of the ones that are similar for other guns) is that if something happens, i.e. a jam, and you need to drop the mag, the second you unscrew that little screw, you now have a fully functional mag-release lever! I don't know how anal people are, or will be, but even if you screw it right back in, it was an illegal weapon for that short period of time. That's the beauty of most of the newer BBs is that they auto reset the moment you remove the tool used to drop the mag!

Let's just hope the only reason to do that to an M1A is because someone WANTS to and not because some dumbasp law gets passed!!!

heycorey
05-18-2008, 5:53 PM
I agree completely. I have a few Sage stocks and really like them. But it's just not worth the potential legal problems. Besides, having the JAE-100 means I can use ALL my mags! I'm going to be ordering one in the next few weeks ... still kinda waiting to see some pics of the new adjustable cheek-piece.

That's actually a nice little trick to know just incase they ever (or "when" they???) ban ANY and ALL detachable magazines.

Of course the problem with that design (and some of the ones that are similar for other guns) is that if something happens, i.e. a jam, and you need to drop the mag, the second you unscrew that little screw, you now have a fully functional mag-release lever! I don't know how anal people are, or will be, but even if you screw it right back in, it was an illegal weapon for that short period of time. That's the beauty of most of the newer BBs is that they auto reset the moment you remove the tool used to drop the mag!

Let's just hope the only reason to do that to an M1A is because someone WANTS to and not because some dumbasp law gets passed!!!

RANGER295
05-18-2008, 8:35 PM
I actually designed a mag lock for the M-14/M1A and made one for a friend. I choose to leave mine original with no evil features but… I did make one that works well. Unfortunately I do not have a picture of it. What I did was added metal to the front of the mag release lever so that it sits flat against the back of the mag which prevents it from being pushed forward and dropping the mag. Another thing that I tried to do but had a little harder time fitting was to add metal to the back of the mag release where the spring normally is. This also would prevent it from being depressed. With my mag lock, you cannot put a mag in the rifle while the trigger group is in place. You have to remove the trigger group, seat the mag while holding the rifle upside down and then place the trigger group back in. You now have a fixed mag rifle. It is really pretty easy. Mine was a little crude looking being that I just kept building it up with a welder then shaped it with a grinder and demel, but this would be very easy to make and produce. This is a mag lock not a BB but, it requires no modification to anything but the release lever which can be replaced by driving out a roll pin. You have none of the legal problems of removing a screw and having a functional rifle with this design either.

Edit: you could still remove a mag with that sage lock and be legal. Just do it the way you would with my lock by removing the trigger group.

Quake0
05-19-2008, 1:09 AM
Is their a bullet tip for an M-14/M1A?

cseabass
05-21-2008, 8:23 AM
my method can be reverted by just replacing the paddle, i also have a spare trigger group for when i leave the state(i hate swapping paddles, not hard but it takes 5 mins too long :p )

i like my MCS setup. i also just did the mod for use with a socom in a VLTOR stock. def. lighter.

this can be done to any of the stocks on the market now.

Rac97crawford
05-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Cool, I like these options. That's what I was looking for. I like the JAE-100 stock. I didn't know about that. And the mag lock idea's are good too.
I especially loved the Chastity belt on Hallie for bigger boobs ref.. That was a GREAT analogy.:rofl:
Thanks for the idea's.