PDA

View Full Version : Solid Copper bullets?

kpinole
11-04-2014, 1:55 PM
They're having a sale on "solid copper bullets"; anyone have experience with them for plinking?

http://www.solidcopperbullet.com/22-caliber-224-diameter-solid-copper-bullet-55-grain-1000-piece-case/

thenodnarb
11-04-2014, 4:16 PM
seems like a heck of a deal for solid copper.

Fjold
11-04-2014, 4:23 PM
Buy the blems for plinking (shooting ground squirrels, etc). Be careful when you're ordering as two 500 packs are cheaper than one 1,000 pack.

stevec223
11-04-2014, 9:55 PM
That is some great pricing on copper bullets... Less than half price to the other big brands... Maybe the price of lead-free shooting is on the way down ?? .. Cheers...

JMP
11-04-2014, 11:43 PM
Looks like rubbish to me. I'd not compare that to a high quality lathe turned solid. It should be fine for plinking, but the only reason to use such a bullet would be if there is a restriction on lead. Keep in mind that you need a faster twist rate with solids as the moment of inertia is different from jacketed bullets, but at 55grs, most barrels should be fine.

the86d
11-05-2014, 4:01 AM
I'd buy them... for hunting.

spamsucker
11-05-2014, 5:13 AM
did you read the marketing stupidity below it though? It's suuuuuper funny.

Upgrade your ballistics to solid copper ballistics.

Ballistics is math not projectiles. Moving on.

Solid copper bullets delivers superb accuracy, devastating power, and deep penetration.

Well you got the penetration thing right. As far as power, given lower mass and lower relative velocities mean less energy on target. Increased penetration means less energy dumped per unit time. As far as accuracy, blems aren't likely to turn in the best groups and a lot of guns are finiky about monometals

Solid Copper bullets enable higher ballistic coefficient than typical copper jacketed bullets and deliver excellent results for 400-1,200 yard shooting, and beyond.

This is just plainly untrue. Bullet mass plays a part in BC and copper is less dense than lead. The math of the matter doesn't support this BS.

Solid copper bullets do not expand under extreme pressure like lead. This new projectile provides loaders to load “hotter” rounds that will shoot flatter and more accurately than possible with lead projectiles.

Extreme pressure? You man like swatting a plate of AR500 at a couple thousand FPS? Because I've personally seen them come flat apart after that kind of thing. The idea that you can load them "hotter" is ludicrous and dangerous. It's actually been my experience that you end up with slightly lighter max powder charges when using monometal bullets before the pressure signs start developing.

Each bullet is manufactured to ensure a precise centerline alignment that delivers gyroscopic stability for a flat trajectory.

Flat trajectories come from velocity. Gyroscopic stability comes from spin and velocity. The two are not really relevant to each other in this context.

The perfectly round flat tip maintains consistent overall cartridge length.

Well, I'll nitpick here: Which is it? Round or flat? I get what they're saying but they said it very poorly.

Because no lead is used, hunters appreciate the fact that these environmentally friendly copper bullets won’t contaminate any meat they put on the table.

I don't eat bloodshot, jellied, used-to-be-meat. I throw that away. Honestly I'd be a lot more concerned about ingesting a hard and sharp shard of copper than a dead soft and incapable of being sharp grain of lead. I have never worried about lead contamination and if it had ever been something to worry about we'd have all been getting our grandparents chelation treatments for decades.

Dutch3
11-05-2014, 5:27 AM
It looks sketchy to me.

Why is the price for 1000 $84.71 at the top of the page, but $230.41 down below?

kpinole
11-05-2014, 7:53 AM
Looks like only their "first grade" ones are on sale, the Overstock and Blem are still at regular price and cost more! LOL

JMP
11-05-2014, 9:26 AM
did you read the marketing stupidity below it though? It's suuuuuper funny.

Ballistics is math not projectiles. Moving on.

Well you got the penetration thing right. As far as power, given lower mass and lower relative velocities mean less energy on target. Increased penetration means less energy dumped per unit time. As far as accuracy, blems aren't likely to turn in the best groups and a lot of guns are finiky about monometals

This is just plainly untrue. Bullet mass plays a part in BC and copper is less dense than lead. The math of the matter doesn't support this BS.

Extreme pressure? You man like swatting a plate of AR500 at a couple thousand FPS? Because I've personally seen them come flat apart after that kind of thing. The idea that you can load them "hotter" is ludicrous and dangerous. It's actually been my experience that you end up with slightly lighter max powder charges when using monometal bullets before the pressure signs start developing.

Flat trajectories come from velocity. Gyroscopic stability comes from spin and velocity. The two are not really relevant to each other in this context.

Well, I'll nitpick here: Which is it? Round or flat? I get what they're saying but they said it very poorly.

I don't eat bloodshot, jellied, used-to-be-meat. I throw that away. Honestly I'd be a lot more concerned about ingesting a hard and sharp shard of copper than a dead soft and incapable of being sharp grain of lead. I have never worried about lead contamination and if it had ever been something to worry about we'd have all been getting our grandparents chelation treatments for decades.
These particular bullets look crappy, but your criticism is misguided. You can gain a significant ballistic advantage with monolithic, lead free, projectiles. The good ones are lathe turned and they can engineer shapes that are much more efficient that jackets full of lead can't hold. High quality machined bullets have just about perfect uniformity. Where you notice the gains are in .338 cal and larger. You start to get a lot of inconsistency in jacketed bullets. For example, in my .338, I can shoot a 300gr Scenar or SMK at 2,750 with a G1 BC of about 0.75. Alternatively, I can shoot a 267gr solid at 3,000fps with G1 BC of 0.80. The solid has much better manufacturing tolerances. Does that example not make a case for solids? In 6.5mm and .30 cal, I don't see the advantage. My .375 cal has a much wider gap in ballistic performance between jacketed and monolithic, and so on.

SMarquez
11-05-2014, 10:08 AM
I'm concerned about their broad statement about reloading to higher velocities. Being that the copper solids are longer than cast or jacketed rounds, since most 223/556 rounds are compressed, to get the same coal of 2.260 there will be more compression and higher pressure.
Being longer may be a little more accurate, but they don't list any specific load data.
But...... I might just buy some and try them.

Whiterabbit
11-05-2014, 11:55 AM
interesting. They claim it is on the approved list for hunting. Yet it is not expanding.

Interesteing.

(hypocrites)

bandook
12-08-2014, 8:33 PM
Has anybody actually shot these?

'ol shooter
12-08-2014, 8:43 PM
interesting. They claim it is on the approved list for hunting. Yet it is not expanding.

Interesteing.

(hypocrites)

Approved for non-game species. Coyote round?

bandook
12-08-2014, 8:47 PM
the reason I ask is that blems are @ $0.06/bullet.

edgerly779
12-08-2014, 8:54 PM
They are only useful for non game in condor zone, No deer, no pigs, no large game animals. Better to get from e tips nosler when thy have over runs or blems.