Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Annie's Guns-REMOVED-
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Annie's Guns-REMOVED- Hosted by Annie's Guns

Old 05-02-2008, 1:20 PM
Safety Third
CGN Contributor

Default Clarification regarding trigger lock?

When I was in last Saturday to buy my lower, I think I remember being told that when I come to pick it up, I need to either buy a trigger lock from you guys or bring in my own....with a receipt. I have a trigger lock, but no receipt for it. Is that correct or did I just misunderstand?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
I want to be Princess Anastasia today because I feel pretty
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterBoreGunner View Post
Kes is really just an errand boy
Proud NRA Member.
Tere Hanges 2013 participant.
Old 05-02-2008, 1:49 PM

Is it a stripped lower or an assembled compliant one? I understand CA approved locks are required for functioning firearms. If you're picking up a stripped lower, you don't even have a "trigger" to lock. If the lower is assembled, but no upper, it's not a functioning firearm. Be careful, they may be trying to pull a quick one on you. I've purchased 4 lowers in the past year with no lock requirement. Ask to speak to a manager and have it explained, in writing if possible, if they insist on having you buy one!

Last edited by fuegoslow; 05-02-2008 at 1:51 PM..
Old 05-02-2008, 1:59 PM
Calguns Addict

I think it depends where you are.

In San Diego there is a city ordinance that requires locks to be sold with any firearm including a lower.

I might be wrong about this but AFAIK its a city thing for long guns
209 833-9100
For sales Questions please email Sales@tracyrifleandpistol.com
Old 05-02-2008, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegoslow View Post
Is it a stripped lower or an assembled compliant one? I understand CA approved locks are required for functioning firearms. If you're picking up a stripped lower, you don't even have a "trigger" to lock. If the lower is assembled, but no upper, it's not a functioning firearm. Be careful, they may be trying to pull a quick one on you. I've purchased 4 lowers in the past year with no lock requirement. Ask to speak to a manager and have it explained, in writing if possible, if they insist on having you buy one!
There is no "non-functioning" exception to the CA requirement for a firearms safety device or gun safe. A stripped lower is still a firearm. However, generally a safe-affidavit is sufficient for any firearm that is not a handgun (sale of handguns by an FFL must be accompanied by safety devices under federal law).

Here is the state law:

Quote:
12088.1. (a) All firearms sold or transferred in this state by a licensed firearms dealer, including private transfers through a dealer, and all firearms manufactured in this state, shall include or be accompanied by a firearms safety device that is listed on the Department of Justice's roster of approved firearms safety devices and that is identified as appropriate for that firearm by reference to either the manufacturer and model of the firearm, or to the physical characteristics of the firearm that match those listed on the roster for use with the device.

(d) The sale or transfer of a firearm shall be exempt from subdivision (a) if both of the following apply: (1) The purchaser or transferee owns a gun safe that meets the standards set forth in Section 12088.2. Gun safes shall not be required to be tested, and therefore may meet the standards without appearing on the Department of Justice roster. (2) The purchaser or transferee presents an original receipt for purchase of the gun safe, or other proof of purchase or ownership of the gun safe as authorized by the Attorney General, to the firearms dealer. The dealer shall maintain a copy of this receipt or proof of purchase with the dealers' record of sales of firearms.

(e) The sale or transfer of a firearm shall be exempt from subdivision (a) if all of the following apply: (1) The purchaser or transferee purchases an approved safety device no more than 30 days prior to the day the purchaser or transferee takes possession of the firearm. (2) The purchaser or transferee presents the approved safety device to the firearms dealer when picking up the firearm. (3) The purchaser or transferee presents an original receipt to the firearms dealer which shows the date of purchase, the name, and the model number of the safety device. (4) The firearms dealer verifies that the requirements in (1) to (3), inclusive, have been satisfied. (5) The firearms dealer maintains a copy of the receipt along with the dealers' record of sales of firearm.
There is also nothing to stop a firearm dealer in a non-PPT transaction from requiring things above and beyond what state law requires (such as selling an approved lock with every gun). It is however dubious if the dealer requires it with a PPT given the dealer's obligation to perform legal PPTs and there is nothing illegal about PPTing a long gun with a safe affidavit rather than an approved lock.

"[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table."

Last edited by mymonkeyman; 05-02-2008 at 2:33 PM..
Old 05-02-2008, 4:14 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Long guns, including receivers, require either a safe affidavit, the purchase of a CA approved lock from us, or you can bring in the lock and receipt showing that the CA approved lock was purchased within the last 30 days.
Old 05-02-2008, 6:09 PM

Yes, I do remember signing a safe afidavit for lowers I had transfered from 10percent firearms. I remember giving the model number of my gunvault 5900. My oversight, apologies.
Old 05-02-2008, 6:54 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegoslow View Post
...Be careful, they may be trying to pull a quick one on you...
Excuse me? I resent that remark...

I'm certain that no one who's delt with us would say that we've ever "pulled a fast one", especially regarding a silly lock. You have safe, we release long gun or receiver, you don't and you'll buy a lock or present one with a copy of the receipt per CA and Federal law to get your weapon released. No exceptions.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:03 AM
Safety Third
CGN Contributor

Thank you for the clarification. I'll be buying a lock when I pick up my lower and upper.

And, for the record, I never thought anyone was trying to pull anything on me. Not at this shop! These guys are straight shooters in every sense of the term....and they went above and beyond the call of duty to secure me an upper assembly.

See y'all Tuesday evening....looking forward to it.
Quote:
Quote:
Proud NRA Member.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:13 AM
Banned

Just do the safe affidavit and be done with it. Thats what I do, but I DO have a safe
Old 05-03-2008, 12:45 AM
Safety Third
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150Marcelo View Post
Just do the safe affidavit and be done with it. Thats what I do, but I DO have a safe
I've only just begun to research safes. The problem is that I live on the third floor of a 1950's (?) San Francisco apartment building with creaky floors. Static weight may be a concern because, if I buy a safe, it'll need to be HUGE.
Quote:
Quote:
Proud NRA Member.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:49 AM
Banned

Well... you get get a light weight one, and just bolt it into the ground or wall
Old 05-03-2008, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
I've only just begun to research safes. The problem is that I live on the third floor of a 1950's (?) San Francisco apartment building with creaky floors. Static weight may be a concern because, if I buy a safe, it'll need to be HUGE.
we will have some lighter weight safes, still a safe but not as large. youll just want to secure it to the floor. they should be fairly affordable too.
Old 05-04-2008, 5:31 AM
Safety Third
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cseabass View Post
we will have some lighter weight safes, still a safe but not as large. youll just want to secure it to the floor. they should be fairly affordable too.
If I'm so overly excited about picking up my upper (thanks again) and lower that I forget to ask you about safes, please feel free to remind me. Oh, that goes for cases as well. Oh, and rear sights. Aw hell, you might as well just take my Mastercard and hand me cool stuff
Quote:
Quote:
Proud NRA Member.