Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 05-01-2008, 8:59 PM

Default I need help on ring size AR/Millett DMS-1

Still new to optics.

18" SPR AR 5.56

First off...what is the ring size diameter I need for a Millett DMS-1? At first I thought 1 inch but it might be 30mm...I can't seem to find the spec of the ring size needed. I've checked website but still nothing.

Second...I have Troy BUIS and need to know what height rings I need to clear the BUIS with the Millett scope mounted.

Any ring recommendations? I'd most likely want one that can quick disconnect incase I need to use the BUIS.

TIA
Old 05-01-2008, 9:32 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm not sure what height rings you need, but according to Midway the Millett DMS-1 is a 30mm tube.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:15 PM

ok thanks
Old 05-02-2008, 1:20 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The millet scopes are notorious for needing additional eye relief. It's likely you'll need some extension of the upper.

If you want quick-release rings anyway, I'd highly recommend (as would everyone else that's ever touched them) the LaRue SPR mount.
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...tail.bok?no=30

Google Map of OLL Dealers

List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.
Old 05-02-2008, 6:02 AM

+1 on Larue.
Old 05-02-2008, 8:26 AM
Veteran Member

The DMS-1 is a 30mm tube, and the eyepiece diameter is 1.65" without flip caps (add 0.1" for flip caps). The Troy BUIS is 0.460" folded.

To figure out clearance, divide the eyepiece diameter by 2, add that to the BUIS height, and that's the minimum mount centerline height you'll need. For a DMS-1 with flip caps and the Troy BUIS:

((1.65 +0.1)/2) + 0.46 = 0.875 + 0.46 = 1.335". Round that to 1.4" for a little wiggle room. That's the centerline height you'd need in a mount or rings.

Many people want their optics mounted at or a little above the AR iron sights centerline, which is 1.4", so they can use the same shoulder mount and cheek weld for both irons and optics for faster acquisition.

As uclaplinker says, most people need lots of forward extension with the DMS-1 (and many other illuminated scopes), due to the long illuminated eyepiece. Rings on the flat top will almost certainly place the scope too far back.

There are a few options for mounting the DMS-1 on a typical AR:

- One-piece mount: Only a few have enough forward extension for the DMS-1, like the LaRue SPR-E LT-139 (the regular SPR doesn't give enough forward offset) and the ADM Recon X (both are expensive, at around $200). The B-Square/Colt mount looks like it would work, but I haven't tried one yet (I have one on the way for testing). The CAA DVSR is very popular as a budget DMS-1 mount and has plenty of height with a 1.58" centerline, but doesn't give enough eye relief for a lot of people. Here's the Big List of AR15 one-piece mounts:
http://www.maxicon.com/guns/optics/o...ece_mounts.htm
and a detailed review of the CAA mount:
http://www.maxicon.com/guns/optics/caa/caa_dvsr.htm

- Extended rail and rings: Many people make extended/scout rails for the AR that give extra height and forward extension - YHM, GG&G, ARMS, RRA, and others. Some don't leave enough room behind the rail for the BUIS (like the RRA and ARMS), so be sure to check this. If the rail is 0.5" tall (most, but not all, are), the rings would need to be tall enough to give you the centerline you calculated above - 1.4" or more.

On a budget, it's hard to go wrong with the YHM 5" extender and Leupold QRW or Warne Maxima QD rings in the right height. This gives you quick release (though the extender stays in place) and lots of flexibility, and is stable when everything is tight, but there are more connections to loosen or shift.

Here's the DMS-1 mounted in a CAA mount as far forward as it'll go:

and a Leupold Mk4 PR on a YHM extender with Leupold QRW medium rings - it really needs high rings, but the concept is the same:

If you want to buy once and be done with it, go with the LaRue SPR-E extended mount. It's about as close to perfect as you get, even if it costs as much as the scope, and they re-sell easily if you decide you don't like it.

If you're on a tight budget, go for the YHM extender and whatever 30mm rings meet your budget/feature tradeoffs.

NRA Life Member

Last edited by maxicon; 05-02-2008 at 8:31 AM..
Old 05-02-2008, 8:37 AM

I just bought a new Millett DMS 1-4 and mounted it on a LaRue...30 mm. I still need to sight it in.

+1 MAXICON
Old 05-02-2008, 9:09 AM

That wilson mount looks like a good value, I wonder how good it is.
Old 05-02-2008, 9:28 AM
Veteran Member

SPR-E would be the best mount.....CON---> cost as much as the scope.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPen View Post
That wilson mount looks like a good value, I wonder how good it is.
The problem with the Wilson mount is that it doesn't offer much forward offset for eye relief. It's pretty high, and is reasonably priced, but offers little/no extra forward placement over plain rings. With the Leupold scope in the picture, you can see that the rear ring limits the forward placement such that the little bit of offset on the front ring isn't even used, and the eyepiece is a little behind the charging handle.

The Wilson looks a lot like the ProMag and RRA, but I'd expect it to be good quality, as their stuff is mostly pretty good. I've never handled one, though.

If Armalite would make their mount in a 1.5" centerline version, they'd totally dominate the under-$100 mount market.

NRA Life Member
Old 05-02-2008, 2:26 PM

I have a VLTOR CASV rail so it's a monolithic type so I don't have to worry too much about eye relief placement. I do worry a bit about height since the CASV raises the rails about .5" anyway.

I have some Burris XTR on order but I've been thinking about getting a one piece system instead. I know LaRue is the best system but it's tough to pull the trigger on a $200 mount when I don't really need the quick detach feature.

The mounts also have to clear the somewhat massive Falcon Menace 1.5-5 scope which is I think the biggest short dot type optic there is right now.