Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 05-01-2008, 9:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Default GSSF(Glock competition) worth $60?

Checked out the GSSF, they have a match coming to Richmond in August. Seems kinda pricey compared with the ~$35 USPSA match fee, $35 GSSF membership and $25 match fee. The Richmond match is the only local one, so I'd pay the membership fee to shoot in one match.

Just wondering if there's something I'm missing that might make it worth $60?
Old 05-01-2008, 9:03 AM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Check and see how many prizes they give out per head - IIRC it used to be you had like a 1:20 chance of winning.

I've always wanted to join one year and do 2-3 matches in CA, but for just one match I'm less interested.

Do they still give away GSSF membership with pistol purchase?

Also - if you are going to buy a glock GSSF has a one gun a year deal I think.
Old 05-01-2008, 9:10 AM
Veteran Member

rkt is right.

At each match, four glocks are given away as prizes. One as a raffle, and three as awards to first place finishes. The nice thing is that the first places aren't the best shooters. All the scores are lined up and then broken into three parts and the first place of each gets a Glock.

I.E. There are 30 shooters. 1st place overall, 11th place overall and 21st place overall each get a Glock.

And I'm told that there's a private raffle for the volunteers at the matches.

Also, there's a one-Glock-a-year at LE prices. I can't find the page atm, but it's basically a Glock at $500 - $600 dollars. Unfortunately, this can only be redeemed at two dealers in CA. 2nd Amendment Sports and another dealer, don't remember who.

Oh, and you get a cool hat and lapel pin for joining.
Old 05-01-2008, 9:40 AM
Veteran Member

I've shot the Richmond match two years in a row now. First one was just to try it out, since it seemed like there would be a decent chance to win a GLOCK and the second one was basically just to try to win another gun
The match itself is not all that exciting, at least not compared to USPSA/IPSC matches, but for someone who hasn't shoot any action pistol, it might be a good starting point.
However, the entry fees are pretty hefty, so now when I've been bumped up to Master (which happens after winning three guns) i doubt that I'll go back.
I'd rather spend my time and money on more exciting matches.

Yeah, you have a decent chance of winning a gun, but when you factor in the entry fees and the FFL transfer fee (if you win a gun), it's not really that good actually.

Last edited by gose; 05-01-2008 at 9:42 AM..
Old 05-01-2008, 9:47 AM
Veteran Member

Um, the only fees I know of are for the GSSF membership and the GSSF match fee per gun, there is no USPSA match fee since this is srictly a GSSF match and not a USPSA match.

Usually there are spots for 48 range officers.. Sat AM and PM, Sun AM and PM. There is a drawing for 1 glock from that pool of 48, if you work the whole match (ie not shoot) you have a 4 chances in 48 of winning that Glock. This is the incentive to get local RO's to help out. AFAIK Richmond is the only club who does it this way. RO's also usually get some kind of "thank you" gift from GSSF and an RO t-shirt. It has traditionally been a Glock Knife, or a pistol magazine of choice (10 round or less).

For your membership fee, you get a quarterly magazine subscription and the ability to shoot in other GSSF matches across the Country.

When I shot the match I shot in 2 classes.. Stock (Model 17) and Competition(Model 34). I placed 3rd and 4th and received $$ for each of those finishes. Since I was a new member I was put in a drawing (as was my sponsor) to win a Glock. I got lucky and picked up a Glock Certificate. I paid the extra $108 and picked up one of those cool OD green G35's which I promptly sold to a friend of mine to finance another purchase. I think I owned it for all of 10 minutes as the dealer I used handed it to me to look at, and then he promptly put it back into the safe awaiting my friend to pick it up in 10 days.

You shoot from a box, you do not reload your handgun. You can barny up (one in chamber, full magazine (10 rounds max, so 11 total)). The Sub Compact guns have a slightly different rule about hits per paper. It's time plus in scoring. And you use the NRA D1 Tombstone target.

There is potential to win back your entry fees.. if you are good enough. Also depending on how many shooters there are, they hand out guns according to where you wind up. No real way to game it since you have no idea whare you are going to land in the standings. It also doesn't take too long to shoot, so you can usually shoot and scoot in a couple hours depending on when. Generally Sat am is packed, Sat PM is busy but not too bad, and Sunday am or PM is fairly sedate.. show up, shoot, leave..
Old 05-01-2008, 10:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Thanks for the info everyone. I know there is no USPSA fee when shooting GSSF. I was comparing the fees for different matches at Richmond, USPSA> ~$35 match fee no membership required; GSSF> $25 match fee and $35 membership required.

Ooooh a match where I can stink and still win stuff. Sounds good to a first timer like me...

Last edited by chickenfried; 05-01-2008 at 10:09 AM..
Old 05-01-2008, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfried View Post
Ooooh a match where I can stink and still win stuff. Sounds good to a first timer like me...
Yup. The GSSF is mostly a gateway to get into action shooting and a big advertisement for Glock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargenv View Post
Usually there are spots for 48 range officers.. Sat AM and PM, Sun AM and PM. There is a drawing for 1 glock from that pool of 48, if you work the whole match (ie not shoot) you have a 4 chances in 48 of winning that Glock. This is the incentive to get local RO's to help out. AFAIK Richmond is the only club who does it this way. RO's also usually get some kind of "thank you" gift from GSSF and an RO t-shirt. It has traditionally been a Glock Knife, or a pistol magazine of choice (10 round or less).
The Norco match rewards the RO's this way too. I think that another option for the RO gift is waiving a match fee, but you must already be a GSSF member.