Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 04-23-2008, 3:00 PM

Default options for mini-14

looking for inexpensive options for inexpensive rifle I'm likely going to trade for...

I've considered Burris Scout Rifle Scope 2.75x 20mm Heavy Plex Reticle Matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=606819

Millett Tactical DMS-1 Scope 30mm Tube 1-4x 24mm Illuminated Circle Dot Reticle Matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=186660

Leupold VX-2 Rifle Scope 1-4x 20mm Duplex Reticle Matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=118092

I have also seen lower priced alternatives by Weaver, Barska, and Nikko. Are any of these offering decent? Any I should stay away from? Additional suggestions are always welcome. Would like to stay under $300 and around $150 would be even better. Use will be 50-100 yard plinking no long range work and no great desire for extreme accuracy with this rifle/set up. Thanks!!
Old 04-23-2008, 7:39 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmuller View Post
looking for inexpensive options for inexpensive rifle I'm likely going to trade for...

I've considered Burris Scout Rifle Scope 2.75x 20mm Heavy Plex Reticle Matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=606819

Millett Tactical DMS-1 Scope 30mm Tube 1-4x 24mm Illuminated Circle Dot Reticle Matte

Leupold VX-2 Rifle Scope 1-4x 20mm Duplex Reticle Matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=118092

I have also seen lower priced alternatives by Weaver, Barska, and Nikko. Are any of these offering decent? Any I should stay away from? Additional suggestions are always welcome. Would like to stay under $300 and around $150 would be even better. Use will be 50-100 yard plinking no long range work and no great desire for extreme accuracy with this rifle/set up. Thanks!!
You've got a EER scope (Burris) listed among standard eye relief scopes. You threw a 30 mm tube in there too. Scout rails for the mini-14 are not cheap. If you just want to plink, I recommend you look for a no frills $100-$150 1" scope with standard 3.5" relief and use the 1" rings that Ruger supplies with the rifle. 2-7x32 or 3-9x40 should be ample. Spend the rest on ammo and have some fun.

Lots of options to choose from. The Browning close-outs (made by Bushnell to 3200 specs) and Brunto Echo line are good at that price. Check out the Natchez web site for some good deals.

Bruce

HighPowerOptics - Sports optics, scope services, rifle scope installation tool kits for rent
Old 04-23-2008, 9:01 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, the Ultimak scout rail for the mini is a great piece of gear, but it'll run $140 before optics and rings.

Is it a ranch rifle, and does it come with rings? The DMS-1 is fun, but most Minis come with 1" rings, so you'd need to bump up to 30mm. If it doesn't have them already, you can pick the Ruger rings up relatively inexpensively if you look around. Make sure you get both the same height, as some Rugers take rings that are different height front and back.

Personally, I really like a simple red dot on a Mini, but a fast, low-mag scope can be good too.

For mounts, they're different between ranch and non-ranch versions, and the ranch rifle is much easier to scope. Weigand makes a decent Weaver or Picatinny rail for the Mini that's not too expensive.

Here's my standard post on inexpensive scopes:

In general, there are a few options under $200.

Non-magnified:
SPOT
Used Burris XTS-135
Used Bushnell Holosight
Ultradot 25 or 30 (best value, not very tactical)

Magnified:
Burris FFII
Leupold Rifleman
Used Leupold VX-1
Nikon Buckmaster
Weaver V3
Bushnell 3200

Marginal, but some people like them:
Mueller
Millett
Bushnell MP Trophy

Avoid bottom-feeder stuff like BSA, low-end Bushnell, Barska, NCStar, Leapers, Tasco, ATN, and Simmons

While they last, SWFA is selling the Nikon Team Primos 3-9x40, same as a Monarch, for $200, which is about the best glass you'll get for that much money.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-3-9x40-Tea...QQcmdZViewItem

NRA Life Member
Old 04-23-2008, 9:38 PM

Tmuller, I posed this same question a couple of weeks ago. I got some great responses and info. I too recently purchased a Mini and was looking for a practical scope.

I don't know how to give you the link, but if you type in " Scope recommendation for Mini 14" in the search bar, you'll find it. I'm going with the Nikon (Team Primos) 3-9x40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum View Post
During Y2K my neighbor and I were talking and he said he had a basement full of water and canned food. He asked if I had stocked up and I said that I had. I told him I bought a 12 guage shotgun, a .308 rifle and several bricks of .22 ammo.

He is an anti-gun guy and he said. "Well, you can't eat ammunition". I replied with "When I'm starving to death with a case of ammunition, who's door do you think I am going to knock on?"
Old 04-23-2008, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

Barska 3-9x40 at big 5 for $45
I had it on my mini until I sold it to build a AR
now it sits on top of my 10/22.
It got the job done just fine.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:30 AM

Default OK

I checked out your thread Gnome...thanks!! I'm not looking for anything over 4X magnification but I also don't want an expensive setup for this rifle. What size tube will fit with the Ruger rings? Any good scout style scopes that will fit and not break the bak? Thanks for the info!!
Old 04-25-2008, 10:25 AM

btt
Old 04-25-2008, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

Rugers ship with 1" rings generally, but you can get them in 30mm too. If you go to the Ruger rings link, it'll show you what shipped from the factory with the gun. If you've got the rings, you can measure them - 30mm is 1.18", and 1" is, well... 1". They'll be slightly smaller with no scope in them, as there needs to be a bit of a gap to grip the scope tube.
http://ruger.com/Firearms/FASRSearch...=10703&store=y

Scout scopes are long eye relief scopes for mounting out on the handguard, and won't work in receiver rings. You'd need a scout mount for them, like the Ultimak or Amega.

For receiver rings, a regular scope is the ticket. For good quality at a low price, the Weaver V3 series is hard to beat. Muellers are popular Chinese scopes, but the Mini can have harsh recoil for a .223, and Muellers don't always hold up well to recoil.

If you give your price limit, it'll help, as there's a big difference between $100, $150, and $200 scopes. The further you go below $200, the more chance you're taking, but lots of people shoot cheap scopes with no problems.

NRA Life Member
Old 04-25-2008, 12:00 PM

Thanks maxicon.

I don't have a set price range but I'm leaning now towards...

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...610&t=11082005

Weaver Classic V-Series Rifle Scope 1-3x 20mm Dual-X Reticle Matte

It lists eye relief at 3.12". The Leupold list at 3.8-4.3"...what's the standard eye relief for scout scopes?
Old 04-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Calguns Addict

You better lap those factory rings too or you'll either strip a screw trying to start it or crush your scope tube.

You can call Ruger and trade ring sizes. You can also trade heights. I have the low ones, now. But they usually come with MEDIUM or HIGH. The set mine came with gave about 1/2" clearance between the bell and the handguard not sure if they were MEDIUM or HIGH. I think thew have LOW, MEDIUM, HIGH. Maybe a fourth. The low ones leave about 3mm of clearance on my Leupold 40mm, which is really like 46mm OD. Very nice.

I found a nice replacement set on Ebay when I stripped one of mine out. Then a guy at PerfectUnion made me a deal, so I have an extra set. ETA: not for sale.

PS: Ruger wants $80 if you buy them from the factory. Don't do it.

You can also find rings that are made to fit the Ruger mounts. Leupold makes some, I think another brand as well.

IIRC I believe that any rings that will fit a Ruger 77/22 will fit a Mini-14. Matching the finishes....

Last edited by ViPER395; 04-25-2008 at 12:45 PM..
Old 04-25-2008, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

The DMS is a pretty crappy scope, but for under $300 you're not going to be able to get very high quality, so it might be a decent choice, compared to the other scopes in that range.

If you want a low power and illuminated scope, Meopta K-dot is the way to go.
Old 04-25-2008, 5:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmuller View Post
...what's the standard eye relief for scout scopes?
Like most optics specs, there's not much in the way of standards - everyone does it differently.

Leupold's FX-II 2.5x28mm IER Scout (IER = intermediate eye relief) is spec'ed for 9.3". Some people prefer handgun scopes, depending on the stock length and mount position; Leupold's FX handgun scopes are spec'ed at 18", while their VX is 15".

As VIPER395 says, Ruger 77/22 rings will fit the Mini. Rings for centerfire M77 Rugers are different sizes for front and back. Not everyone's clear on this when selling used rings, so it's a good thing to watch for.

NRA Life Member

Last edited by maxicon; 04-25-2008 at 5:39 PM..
Old 04-25-2008, 9:45 PM

For under $200 the Millet DMS is a great scope.
Works for me, in low light application with variable. Home gun set up on OLL. Scope on both my Mini 14's is the Simmons Diamond Pro shotgun scope 1.5x5. For $49.99 I bought 2. Can hit 8" plates out to 353 yards with it on my ASI mini. Set up for 3 gun. Have a Leupold 2-7 VX-II Good scope also.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:12 AM

You want lots of eye relief, 9x or less variable magnification, and a solid scope. I run a leupold 3-9x vxI on my mini and couldnt be happier. Minis love to kill scopes. Dont go cheap or it will die.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the info...just traded for the mini today, pick up 5/7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GunFunShooter
For under $200 the Millet DMS is a great scope.
This is the Millet DMS I found and is listed at $219 on sale, are these one in the same? Is this not a good deal from midway?

It says 24mm which is 1" but also 30mm. Will this fit and work with the Ruger 1" rings? Thanks again for all your help!!
Old 04-26-2008, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

That's the DMS-1. You don't find them often for under $200 these days, but they go on sale occasionally. Even used, they go for close to $200, as the supply is still a bit short, and they're very popular.

It's a 30mm tube, so you'd need 30mm rings. 24mm is the objective size, which has to do with light gathering capability and exit pupil.

It's a good scope for the money, but hard to say how it'll hold up on a Mini. Millett's warranty support is good, so even if it fails, you can get it replaced, then sell or trade the new one for something more suitable.

NRA Life Member
Old 04-28-2008, 12:09 PM

Thinking now that this might be the best solution...

Weaver Classic V-Series Rifle Scope 1-3x 20mm Dual-X Reticle Matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=183610

$149 and will fit the factory 1" rings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter
Minis love to kill scopes. Dont go cheap or it will die.
This is a cheap scope...does anyone know about their warranty? I don't want to spend over $300 on the whole set up but I don't want to wast $150 to find out I should've spent $300 the first time...
Old 04-28-2008, 1:18 PM
Veteran Member

The Weaver V3 1-3x is popular amongst budget 3-gun fans, which would imply that it holds up pretty well to sustained use. I've got one on an Enfield Jungle Carbine Proto-Assault Weapon , but haven't even shot the thing yet, and it doesn't look like the original owner shot it a lot either.

It's got a little fisheye at 1x (so does the DMS-1 for me), but seems to be a solid, decent scope.

I'd consider it a bottom-end decent scope, rather than a cheap scope.

Here's mine mounted up:

NRA Life Member
Old 04-28-2008, 1:33 PM

thanks...weaver it is!