Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-22-2008, 5:26 PM
Sig357's Avatar
Sig357 Sig357 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Coachella Valley
Posts: 2,094
iTrader: 75 / 100%
Default PTR91 Plastic Navy lower

I have a PTR91 with a Plastic Navy Lower and have the following questions:

1. Will a Steel G3 or HK91 Lower fit my PTR91 rifle.
2. Will my current PTR91 FCG fit in the Steel Lower.

Reason: I have recently acquired a Bell & Carlson Thumbhole stock which the pistol grip part will not fit over the plastic lower pistol grip. So I am in need of a Steel Lower were I can use different types of grips so I can get the stock to fit properly.

I am planning to fill the thumbhole stock so I can use pre-ban mags with my PTR91.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-22-2008, 5:33 PM
Forever-A-Soldier's Avatar
Forever-A-Soldier Forever-A-Soldier is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Palm Springs Area, CA
Posts: 764
iTrader: 102 / 100%
Default

I've got a steel lower/trigger group and a navy one. I haven't switched out the trigger group, but my understanding is they are the same. I've got a steel frame from a G3 I intended to clip&pin for future use on a future PTR. If you want to check that out, I'm over in PS. If it works, you can buy one on Gunbroker for around $25 or so.

Drop me a PM if you are interested.

F.A.S. Out
__________________
"God, Family, Country"; Patriot; Thorn in the side of Anti-Gunners, Communists & Liberals since 1981.
Cold War Vet (U.S. Army Infantry: 1984-1988); GWOT & Iraqi War Vet (CAANG 2002-2008 - Infantry; OIF III)
NRA LIFE Member
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-22-2008, 5:36 PM
Ak47owner's Avatar
Ak47owner Ak47owner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Santa Clarita
Posts: 314
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

to answer both of your questions yes; they will all work with the same TG. you may even buy a CETME lower and it will still work! i would get the clipped and pinned version http://www.robertrtg.com/g3seflower.html
__________________
"60 million gun owners didn't kill anybody today".

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-22-2008, 5:46 PM
Sig357's Avatar
Sig357 Sig357 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Coachella Valley
Posts: 2,094
iTrader: 75 / 100%
Default

That sounds like good news. However I am a little confused on the "clip & pin" part. My PTR91 receiver has a block with no hole for a pin.

Edit: I think I understand. The clip and pin does not go all the way through. It just gives it the look that it has a pin through it. Right?

Last edited by Sig357; 04-22-2008 at 7:21 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-22-2008, 7:20 PM
Sig357's Avatar
Sig357 Sig357 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Coachella Valley
Posts: 2,094
iTrader: 75 / 100%
Default

Is this what I would need for my PTR91, just get it clipped and pinned?

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Charliegone's Avatar
Charliegone Charliegone is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 6,038
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig357 View Post
I have a PTR91 with a Plastic Navy Lower and have the following questions:

1. Will a Steel G3 or HK91 Lower fit my PTR91 rifle.
2. Will my current PTR91 FCG fit in the Steel Lower.

Reason: I have recently acquired a Bell & Carlson Thumbhole stock which the pistol grip part will not fit over the plastic lower pistol grip. So I am in need of a Steel Lower were I can use different types of grips so I can get the stock to fit properly.

I am planning to fill the thumbhole stock so I can use pre-ban mags with my PTR91.
1. Yes it will.

2. Yes it will but the selector switch will not. Why? The steel is thinner so it uses a "regular" selector switch. The plastic one is thicker and uses a longer selector switch. Just keep that in mind.
__________________


I will vote for a donkey-sex maniac if he's pro-gun.
-BWiese
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-22-2008, 10:28 PM
redcliff's Avatar
redcliff redcliff is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Shasta County
Posts: 5,313
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Clipping is cutting out a shelf on the front of a FA pistol grip to use on the semi-auto receivers. The FA trigger group will not fit without modification and doing that modification would potentially create a unregisterred MG if combined with a FA bolt. Therefore you can not use the trigger group in the SEF grip you have pictured and may as well find a compatible stripped, clipped and pinned grip frame plus the grip.

Pinning is just for looks, but it looks cool.

As far as what works with your Navy trigger assembly, do yourself a favor and call:
HK PARTS Adam Webber 801. 440. 5060

Adam will tell you what works for sure and give you a quote. Super nice guy and fast shipping. As was stated, Navy's use different selectors than SEF's.

Last edited by redcliff; 04-22-2008 at 10:31 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-22-2008, 10:31 PM
rorschach's Avatar
rorschach rorschach is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Occupied SoCal
Posts: 4,399
iTrader: 39 / 100%
Default

+1 for Adam Webber.

Gordon Miller at hkspecialist.net is an excellent resource as well.
__________________
"When they kick out your front door, how you gonna come? With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?" - Paul Simonon
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-22-2008, 10:35 PM
elSquid's Avatar
elSquid elSquid is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Left coast.
Posts: 9,860
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak47owner View Post
to answer both of your questions yes; they will all work with the same TG. you may even buy a CETME lower and it will still work! i would get the clipped and pinned version http://www.robertrtg.com/g3seflower.html
I made the mistake of poking around that website.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

-- Michael
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-22-2008, 10:54 PM
dwtt dwtt is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,473
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elSquid View Post
I made the mistake of poking around that website.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

-- Michael
That's cheaper than when they were legal here and we were able to buy them at the cow palace gun show. Incredible.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-23-2008, 4:21 AM
Sig357's Avatar
Sig357 Sig357 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Coachella Valley
Posts: 2,094
iTrader: 75 / 100%
Default

Thanks for the help guys, greatly appreciated. I will give Adam a call.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Addax's Avatar
Addax Addax is offline
Vendor/Retailer
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SAN FERNANDO
Posts: 4,084
iTrader: 65 / 100%
Default

Adam at Hkparts.net will hook you up.
__________________
ADDAX TACTICAL
1431 Truman St.
Unit E
San Fernando, CA 91340

Email: sales@addaxtactical.com

Phone: (818) 361-5008
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-23-2008, 1:44 PM
ptoguy2002's Avatar
ptoguy2002 ptoguy2002 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The OC.
Posts: 4,116
iTrader: 43 / 100%
Default

1. An UNMODIFIED G3 lower will not fit. An HK91 lower will fit, provided that the semi auto shelf location on the receiver is in the proper position, just as HK had them. I have read elsewhere about clones having problems with these, and a little shiming needed to get them to fit, but these were all another brand, and have read good things about the PTRs in general. A G3 lower can be modifed to fit. If its a plastic lower, its a matter of cutting out some of the grip frame, but you'd be wise to buy one already done, as its difficult (but not impossible) to get done right if you don't know what you are doing. The metal frame requires a shelf be welded inside to engage the semi auto shelf on the receiver.


2. The PTR91 trigger pack (the aluminum one, two piece bolted together, marked either JLD or PTR on the top) will fit inside the converted metal G3 sef frame if its done right, and will fit inside an HK 9X type lower out of the box.
A PTR trigger pack will NOT fit inside of a Navy ambi lower, as the selector switch is different.

A word of cautin to anybody mixing and matching HK lower parts. There were two different methods of limiting trigger travel on HK clones. The first (and proper) method is to drill a hole in the side of the metal HK box, and weld in a pin to actually limit the trigger travel. With this method, it doesn't matter what lower you actually put it in, as the travel is limited by the welded in stop in the trigger housing. Springfield Armory (and maybe others, FAC???), in their infiinte wisdom, decided to limit the travel by welding a little stop to the outside of the converted SEF frame. This prevents trigger overtravel by limiting the movement of the safety selector to keep it from going to "F" position, so the safety selector stops the trigger. The downside to this is that if you switch lowers to another one, you no longer have a trigger stop, and if you pull the trigger too far back, the hammer will NOT engage the sear when it comes down, go back forward again, and ride the bolt carrier forward. This has two obvious problems, I'll let you think about it.
That is your HK clone lesson for the day.

Another pic, note the push pin cut apart, and glued into the frame on the C&P plastic one. Just makes it look cool, thats all.
__________________
WTB: SWISS & German police trade in pistols / P210s
WTB: German made & proofed SIG P226R & P228R
WTB: Factory cutaway pistols & rifles
WTB: LAPD Ithaca M37 / Other PD trade ins....

Last edited by ptoguy2002; 04-23-2008 at 2:36 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-23-2008, 1:54 PM
ptoguy2002's Avatar
ptoguy2002 ptoguy2002 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The OC.
Posts: 4,116
iTrader: 43 / 100%
Default

One of my projects that I've been meaning to do is to cut apart a G3 frame, put together in a matter that would use an MMG grip. One of these days........
__________________
WTB: SWISS & German police trade in pistols / P210s
WTB: German made & proofed SIG P226R & P228R
WTB: Factory cutaway pistols & rifles
WTB: LAPD Ithaca M37 / Other PD trade ins....
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-23-2008, 1:59 PM
ptoguy2002's Avatar
ptoguy2002 ptoguy2002 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The OC.
Posts: 4,116
iTrader: 43 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak47owner View Post
to answer both of your questions yes; they will all work with the same TG. you may even buy a CETME lower and it will still work! i would get the clipped and pinned version http://www.robertrtg.com/g3seflower.html
No, no, no, no.
Doing that would be like putting a cheap, worn out VW air cooled engine in a brand corvette Z06 chassis.
You just can't.




****Though not quite as bad as another board member here wanted to use a CETME kit on an Indep receiver. really bad.
And if you are reading this, I still want to buy your Indep receiver. It will have a real nice home with me !


.........
__________________
WTB: SWISS & German police trade in pistols / P210s
WTB: German made & proofed SIG P226R & P228R
WTB: Factory cutaway pistols & rifles
WTB: LAPD Ithaca M37 / Other PD trade ins....

Last edited by ptoguy2002; 04-23-2008 at 2:48 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-23-2008, 2:02 PM
ptoguy2002's Avatar
ptoguy2002 ptoguy2002 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The OC.
Posts: 4,116
iTrader: 43 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliegone View Post
The steel is thinner so it uses a "regular" selector switch. The plastic one is thicker and uses a longer selector switch. Just keep that in mind.
Missed that one, yeah, the steel uses a shorter selector than the plastic one.

__________________
WTB: SWISS & German police trade in pistols / P210s
WTB: German made & proofed SIG P226R & P228R
WTB: Factory cutaway pistols & rifles
WTB: LAPD Ithaca M37 / Other PD trade ins....

Last edited by ptoguy2002; 04-23-2008 at 2:33 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-23-2008, 2:15 PM
ptoguy2002's Avatar
ptoguy2002 ptoguy2002 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The OC.
Posts: 4,116
iTrader: 43 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
Clipping is cutting out a shelf on the front of a FA pistol grip to use on the semi-auto receivers. The FA trigger group will not fit without modification and doing that modification would potentially create a unregisterred MG if combined with a FA bolt. Therefore you can not use the trigger group in the SEF grip you have pictured and may as well find a compatible stripped, clipped and pinned grip frame plus the grip.

Pinning is just for looks, but it looks cool.

As far as what works with your Navy trigger assembly, do yourself a favor and call:
HK PARTS Adam Webber 801. 440. 5060

Adam will tell you what works for sure and give you a quote. Super nice guy and fast shipping. As was stated, Navy's use different selectors than SEF's.
FA G3 trigger packs can be legally modified for use in a semi auto gun. There is even an ATF letter about it, I knowI have it saved somewhere, and even tells what dimensions to cut where. The trigger housing needs to be cut to fit the welded in shelf in the lower, Doing this cut also cuts out the pin location for the FA sear, trim the cut off part to fit the upper section of the cutout, and weld in. Weld in trigger stop. Grind off FA catch on hammer. Of course dispose of FA sear and trip lever. You need a new bushing for the sear spring shaft, and can either buy a new sear spring, or very carfully bend it with plyers. The problem with this all is that now, there are US made parts for these, which you need for 922 compliance anyway.

The FA bolt thing is along the lines of having an FA bolt in an AR. Technically its legal, but I wouldn't want to have to explain that to somebody. And Mr. Olofson (I think that's his name, guy in WI) would probably recommend, there's is no reason to have it, so you might as well spend five minutes with a dremel and cut out that trip lever spot on the FA carrier.

+1 for Adam Webber too
__________________
WTB: SWISS & German police trade in pistols / P210s
WTB: German made & proofed SIG P226R & P228R
WTB: Factory cutaway pistols & rifles
WTB: LAPD Ithaca M37 / Other PD trade ins....
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-23-2008, 2:45 PM
Lon Moer's Avatar
Lon Moer Lon Moer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: West Valley/Silicon Valley
Posts: 653
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

__________________
I've known daredevils and I ain't got nothing against them.....its just they're all dead.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-23-2008, 2:48 PM
ptoguy2002's Avatar
ptoguy2002 ptoguy2002 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The OC.
Posts: 4,116
iTrader: 43 / 100%
Default

Bored at work.

New sig line, you like......
__________________
WTB: SWISS & German police trade in pistols / P210s
WTB: German made & proofed SIG P226R & P228R
WTB: Factory cutaway pistols & rifles
WTB: LAPD Ithaca M37 / Other PD trade ins....
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-23-2008, 2:52 PM
redcliff's Avatar
redcliff redcliff is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Shasta County
Posts: 5,313
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptoguy2002 View Post
FA G3 trigger packs can be legally modified for use in a semi auto gun. There is even an ATF letter about it, I knowI have it saved somewhere, and even tells what dimensions to cut where. The trigger housing needs to be cut to fit the welded in shelf in the lower, Doing this cut also cuts out the pin location for the FA sear, trim the cut off part to fit the upper section of the cutout, and weld in. Weld in trigger stop. Grind off FA catch on hammer. Of course dispose of FA sear and trip lever. You need a new bushing for the sear spring shaft, and can either buy a new sear spring, or very carfully bend it with plyers. The problem with this all is that now, there are US made parts for these, which you need for 922 compliance anyway.

The FA bolt thing is along the lines of having an FA bolt in an AR. Technically its legal, but I wouldn't want to have to explain that to somebody. And Mr. Olofson (I think that's his name, guy in WI) would probably recommend, there's is no reason to have it, so you might as well spend five minutes with a dremel and cut out that trip lever spot on the FA carrier.

+1 for Adam Webber too
Not really any good reason to modify a FA trigger pack when the OP has a SA trigger pack. I believe you that done correctly a highly modified FA trigger pack is legal, however done incorrectly (which is possible) you're creating a mg.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-23-2008, 3:08 PM
ptoguy2002's Avatar
ptoguy2002 ptoguy2002 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The OC.
Posts: 4,116
iTrader: 43 / 100%
Default

Actually, Arizona response systems has a good thing on building G3 rifles, which has a lot of the semi auto trigger stuff I've been talking about.
Figured I'd find it somewhere:
http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.co...gesw3build.htm
__________________
WTB: SWISS & German police trade in pistols / P210s
WTB: German made & proofed SIG P226R & P228R
WTB: Factory cutaway pistols & rifles
WTB: LAPD Ithaca M37 / Other PD trade ins....
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-23-2008, 3:16 PM
ptoguy2002's Avatar
ptoguy2002 ptoguy2002 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The OC.
Posts: 4,116
iTrader: 43 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
Not really any good reason to modify a FA trigger pack when the OP has a SA trigger pack. I believe you that done correctly a highly modified FA trigger pack is legal, however done incorrectly (which is possible) you're creating a mg.


The trigger stop thing I mentioned is really important, and yes, needs to be done correctly (for the reasons I explained).
An yes, if you already have one no need, I am just bored at work and am getting a little long winded.
__________________
WTB: SWISS & German police trade in pistols / P210s
WTB: German made & proofed SIG P226R & P228R
WTB: Factory cutaway pistols & rifles
WTB: LAPD Ithaca M37 / Other PD trade ins....
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-23-2008, 8:09 PM
Sig357's Avatar
Sig357 Sig357 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Coachella Valley
Posts: 2,094
iTrader: 75 / 100%
Default

Thanks for the help guys. Great information here.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 6:55 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.