Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:15 PM

Default need 870 sights... suggestions

I have a wierd need for a set of 870 sights. When I was a kid, I losy the sight in my right / dominant eye. So being right handed, I had to learn to shoot lefty. From a bench, or rifle, I shoot lefty. Pistols, still righty, with a serious head tilt. But I still feel most comfy with my 870 shortie from right handed. That forces me to REALLY tilt the head to shoulder it rt side, but use left eye.

As a result, I need a nice high sight system to add to my 870 for the house.

Any suggestions? Has anyone ever modified the mossberg ghost rings to fit the 870?
Old 04-21-2008, 11:21 PM
In Memoriam

It depends how high you want it. If you want it real high then mount a pic rail to it and then attatch a LPA or some other GR site in the rear for the front you'll need to have a tall site made. It would be easier if you had a VR barrel. Look through Brownells there is a clamp on front site you might like or you'll have to have it silver soldered on and the barrel refinished.

Good luck

When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member

Wilson Combat has ghost ring sights: http://www.wilsoncombat.com/index_sgt_options.htm

"It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." - Benjamin Franklin

Quote:
"Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack." -Stanze
Old 04-22-2008, 1:49 AM
Calguns Addict

One of my 870s has a Remington factory rifle sighted barrel like this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=381172

The sights are fairly high. Just for giggles I got it, closed my right eye, shouldered it, and tried to sight only using my left. I had to really crank my face and nose into the stock, and I had to position my head near the butt - it was very unnatural feeling - but I was able to do it. ( Although I'm not sure I'd want to fire it like this. It feels like it would be very painful. ) Maybe that's an option?

However, from my limited experience playing around, I wonder if you'd be better off with a rail on the receiver and an EOTech or an Aimpoint on a high mount?

Randy's idea for a clamp on sight is interesting: perhaps you could get one, but orient it on a 45(?) degree angle off to the left? Then skip the rear all together; you don't really need it for a house gun.

-- Michael

Last edited by elSquid; 04-22-2008 at 1:56 AM..