Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 04-21-2008, 3:00 PM

Default Falcon Meance 1.5-5x30 - anyone try one?

http://www.falconoptics.com/menace1.5-5x30.php

Opinions? I've found one for $250 from a private seller. I know Falcon is very well regarded so I have high hopes and the price is just right. It sounds like to me that it is much better built and QC'd than the Millet DMS-1.

This is going on a LMT 14.5" carbine upper, 1/7 twist.
Old 04-21-2008, 3:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

For warranty it says:

"All equipment is covered by a conditional warranty against defects in materials and workmanship, for more information on warranty cover then please contact your dealer."

Does the dealer carry their own warranty?

One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 04-21-2008, 3:12 PM

Well they are UK based, so I assume so?
Old 04-21-2008, 10:34 PM

Here's the thing.

I need to get a mount for it. However, my AR has a VLTOR CASV system which attaches to 95% of the flat top on the upper receiver. It then raises anything mounted on it I think about half an inch.

People were getting the LaRue or ARMS mount that extended over the handguard for eye relief reasons on these type of short dot style scopes... My question is, do I need to get a LaRue type mount that extends over the hand guard area or does the VLTOR system take care of that and it's okay to mount the optic on regular low rings far forward directly onto the CASV?

Last edited by FlyingPen; 04-21-2008 at 10:36 PM..
Old 04-21-2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technical Ted View Post
You'll want to use high rings to bring it up to the proper height of approx 2.5". Not Low. Not Medium. Not Extra High.
Can you go into more detail? Why is that the proper height?

Also, the CASV already raises whatever mount I'll be putting on there should I still be using high rings?

Here's some photos:

Old 04-21-2008, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member

No need for an extended mount then since your rail is one piece and runs all the way to the front.

Do you have iron sights that you are trying to cowitness to? Although it might not be necessary to cowitness since this scope is not a 1x fixed scope like an Eotech or Aimpoint.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:25 PM

I have the standard front post and a ARMS40 BUIS.

I'm flirting with the idea of getting quick detach rings but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra cash. It's not like I'm taking this gun to war and will need to immediately remove my failed optic to engage tangos or something.
Old 04-22-2008, 9:00 AM

Will it guage in mm?
Old 04-22-2008, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

To be at the iron sight height, you want your centerline to be about 1.4" above the flat top. Many people like this height, as they can use the same cheek weld and shoulder position for irons or optics, making aquisition and sighting faster.

If your CASV is 0.5" high, you want about 0.9" high rings.

Ring heights are different from vendor to vendor, and even within a vendor's different lines. Burris' highs are a different height than Leupold's QRW high, which are different from Leupold's Mk4 high. You'll want to check the specs for whatever rings you're interested in to make sure they're right.

Also, some rings, like Burris XTR, are spec'ed for the height from rail to the bottom of the ring, while others, like Leupold QRW, are spec'ed from the rail to the centerline. If they're spec'ed to the bottom of the ring, you have to add 0.5" (1" tube) or 0.59" (30mm tube) to get the centerline height.

Warne Maxima or Leupold QRW/PRW Medium or High will get you close to iron sight height, depending on whether you want to be a little over or under.

Leupold QRW/PRW Medium - 0.88"
Leupold QRW/PRW QRW High - 1.00"
Warne Maxima Medium - .375"
Warne Maxima High - .525"
(add 0.5" or 0.59" to the Warne height for the correct centerline)

Both the Leupold QRW and Maxima QD are reasonably priced QD, and are good performers for their price point. The non-QD Maxima and PRW are a bit cheaper, and are also good values, as is the Burris XTR. Bumping up in quality from there will take you into the over $100/pair range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPen View Post
Well they are UK based, so I assume so?
The company is UK based, but the scopes are Chinese. As with all Chinese optics, support entirely depends on the vendor or company, so you might want to check on experience other people have had with their support.

NRA Life Member

Last edited by maxicon; 04-22-2008 at 11:41 AM..
Old 04-22-2008, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxicon View Post

The company is UK based, but the scopes are Chinese. As with all Chinese optics, support entirely depends on the vendor or company, so you might want to check on experience other people have had with their support.
From what I understand, the scope body is Chinese sourced, the glass is Japanese, and it's assembled and QC'd in China.

Thanks guys, looks like it'll be high or medium XTR rings. I'll experiment first because i have some medium HRT rings coming in soon and see if I want to go with a medium or a high.
Old 04-22-2008, 5:03 PM

go to snipercentral.com and they always give good reviews about the falcon menace
Old 04-23-2008, 9:23 AM
Veteran Member

The XTR rings are very good for the money - solid and reliable, and not as heavy as they look since they're aluminum (my Mk4 high steel rings are 300 grams, while my XTR x-high are 192 grams, or almost 4 oz lighter). The width can be a problem on some scopes, as you lose some positioning flexibility, but that's not a problem with the CASV.

Like many less expensive rings, the cross-slot screw is the recoil lug, but the shank has a 90 degree cut in for seating against the rail, which eliminates the tendency for recoil to push up and out against the curve on a round shank screw. Also, you can get a railed cap for them, if you wanted to add a MRD or similar, though they're not angled.

Unlike some others, there's a pretty big jump between sizes - the medium and high are 0.25" apart. Your centerline height on highs with the CASV would be 1.84", which is pretty durn tall. The mediums would put you at 1.59", which is a lot closer in to the traditional norm.

The HRT mediums are 1.075", so that's essentially the same as the 1.09" centerline of the XTR mediums, and will be a great comparison.

NRA Life Member
Old 04-23-2008, 10:41 AM

Wait, I thought you said the Medium XTRs would be 1.59"?
Old 04-23-2008, 1:56 PM
Veteran Member

That's total centerline height, with the 0.5" CASV riser.

Spec on the 30mm XTR Mediums is 0.5", which is to the base of the rings, so add 0.59" for the centerline, which gives you a centerline height of 1.09. Add on the CASV height for 1.59" total.

Spec on the 30mm HRTs is 1.075", which is to the centerline, so the CASV height is added to that for 1.575" total.

Clear as mud? It's a wonder anyone gets their AR optics mounted right the first time - I sure learned the hard way. That's why you see so much mounting gear cheap on the arfcom ee!

NRA Life Member
Old 04-23-2008, 2:29 PM

Yeah, I'll report back once all the parts in. I ordered some 45ACP from Outdoor Marksman for cheap and saw they had some medium XTR rings $5 cheaper than SWFA so I included them in the order to save on shipping and waiting for the UPS guy.

I have a feeling I'll probably like the medium rings just fine. I'm curious if it's going to show the front post at 1.5x, probably it will I think in the lower 1/3.

Oh well, will report back when everything is together.
Old 04-24-2008, 1:23 PM

Not directly related to this thread but an interesting quote from Zak Smith

Quote:
Worst part about Nightforce-- 10 MOA per turn (or 4.0 mils). A lot of people compare scopes on optical clarity-- which should not be the first priority when you're going to use a scope for field-style LR shooting. The ability to operate the scope's controls are more important.

Most important factors for usability IMO:

1. knob controls (want many-click "large" knobs & zero-stop/zero-rev-stop is helpful)
2. reticle / FFP
3. exit pupil size & eye relief (makes it "easier to see" through scope / get sight picture)
4. optical clarity

It goes without saying the scope has to be "to spec" (ie, proper MOA or mils, and repeatable).

I had a student with a new NF, which is certainly a decent scope. But in just a couple hours of dialing to hit UKD LR targets, he was convinced that having a small, many-turn elevation knob sucked--- compared to an EREK or S&B double-turn, which generally get you to 1000 yards in less than about a half-turn.