Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:59 PM

Smile Newer Tungsten tipped 5.56 nomenclature

The Tungsten tipped/half jacketed 5.56 penetrator plus...Anybody recently returning from AFG recall the nomenclature of these rounds? My unit had been issued them; every soldier got a combat load and your hi speeds picked up extras...But we had to trade them back for standard green tips...Anyways I was talking to my buddy at work about them And how they were supposed to be an advanced penetrator but not anything like a .50 cal SLAP round of course and I think they were an "XM" series...Thanks in advance!!

And another question. I came across the Mk211 mod 0 HEIAP rds for a .50 when doing co-met inspection...All I could find is that they are hi explosive incendiary armor piercing...What or who would use these and why would a trans co have them? And again thanks in advance.

RIP SGT Carlo "Eugie" Eugenio

KIA 29 OCT 2011 Camp Phoenix, Kabul, AFG
Old 08-05-2014, 10:06 AM

You are speaking of the M855A1. Contrary to most thinking it is just a carbon steel tip, not tungsten. It is slightly heavier (77gr I believe) and uses a faster burning powder. It was adopted because it was supposed to outperform the M855 Ball, and it did in penetration, but again contrary to what most people were told was much less accurate (especially out of shorter barreled M4). It was pulled back out of service due to causing catostrophic failures in several weapons. It has been reintroduced back to certain units depending on the mission where greater penetration may be neccasarry (possibly facing lightly armoured targets or personell).

As for the Mk211, that should be pretty common issue for any crew served that is out and about (reguardless of unit type or mission). Works great against lightly armoured targets and engine blocks and great for triggering symapthetics against suspected IEDs.

M855A1

Last edited by 09rubicon; 08-05-2014 at 10:13 AM..
Old 08-05-2014, 11:17 AM

Awesome! Thank you very much!!

RIP SGT Carlo "Eugie" Eugenio

KIA 29 OCT 2011 Camp Phoenix, Kabul, AFG