Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 07-29-2014, 7:39 AM

Default HPSP

Anyone have experience getting into and using the HPSP program to pay for medical or dental school? I currently have enough GI bill to get me through year 1 of dental school (assuming I were to be accepted) but after that I would need to either go into debt or find a program to pay my way for me.

I have zero desire to be active duty ever again, but Im seriously considering the reserves or national guard (Air Force reserves and Air NG, screw the army).
Old 07-29-2014, 8:45 AM

Do you have a service connected disability?

In memory of Rogelio Antonio Ramirez, August 26th 2007
Saqlawiyah Iraq

"most people quick to go to war haven't seen it."-
unknown

Check out my YouTube page
http://www.youtube.com/user/DJCBX/videos
Old 07-30-2014, 3:25 PM
Veteran Member

What is hpsp?
Old 07-30-2014, 6:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrain82 View Post
What is hpsp?
yeah what is it?

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A

In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:38 PM

Since the OP referred to medical/dental school, my guess is he's asking about the Navy's Health Professions Scholarship Program.

OP - google should pull up a few bulletin boards where applicants/hopefuls discuss the program. I looked at this program a few years ago and found some sites. I applaud you for considering the reserves and continuing to serve your country...but seriously consider the impact this may have on your studies and residency time. Besides, active duty as a Dr may be an entirely different experience from when you were in before.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laabstract View Post
Do you have a service connected disability?
Yes I do. Waiting on the VA to find out how high my % will be though.

I know you can still join some military jobs with up to 30% disability (with a waiver) and my guess is that a dentist is definitely one of the jobs they would waiver you for.
Old 08-03-2014, 8:11 AM

please do research on your choice of campus that you plan on attending, You can PM, if need be.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:02 AM

If you want the "military" benefits while not being in the military, having your student loans paid off while pulling in an officer salary, and other benefits check out the USPHS.

Theres also the NHSC loan repayment program. You can be either a civilian or PHS Officer while enrolled in this program - basically you work with underserved populations and, depending on their "score" you can get more money per year. I believe VA facilities also qualify for this repayment program. Theres also a state part of this program that allows you to work in other areas.

The Indian Health Loan Repayment Program (cannot do in conjuntion with the HRSA program). It appears to be similar to the HRSA program but youre limited to working within IHS facilities/populations.
Old 08-08-2014, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaibuilt View Post
If you want the "military" benefits while not being in the military, having your student loans paid off while pulling in an officer salary, and other benefits check out the USPHS.

Theres also the NHSC loan repayment program. You can be either a civilian or PHS Officer while enrolled in this program - basically you work with underserved populations and, depending on their "score" you can get more money per year. I believe VA facilities also qualify for this repayment program. Theres also a state part of this program that allows you to work in other areas.

The Indian Health Loan Repayment Program (cannot do in conjuntion with the HRSA program). It appears to be similar to the HRSA program but youre limited to working within IHS facilities/populations.
Woah. Now that is very interesting. Thank you for sharing. Do you have experience with PHS?