Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 04-06-2008, 6:29 PM

Default Best way to Pay for a shipped gun?

Hi guys,

I was looking around but couldn't find a thread for this so forgive me if this has been discussed or in the wrong section.

For a face-to-face PPT you can pay the seller on the spot but what if I find a gun listed here and the seller is not near me but willing to ship to my FFL?

What is the best way to handle a payment for a shipped gun? I doubt someone would ship a gun without the $$ up front and yet I wonder about sending a money order or cashier's check to an address and then hoping that a gun shows up, especially if its someone without alot of feedback or history (not like I have alot of that as I am new to Calguns myself )

Thanks for the great information, now I am trying to figure out the shipping and transfer itself...

Update: Spoke with the seller, he will ship to my ffl and is fine with a cashier's check etc. Spoke with a Local shop and they want him to ship from an FFL which seller doesn't think is necessary. The gun is on the DOJ roster. Maybe its just this one shop that won't accept from an individual as this sounds like a fairly common practice? I guess I'll call around to other shops.

Last edited by Capt Jack; 04-07-2008 at 7:24 PM.. Reason: Updated
Old 04-06-2008, 6:33 PM

this should be moved to the correct forum

Last edited by fireblast713; 04-06-2008 at 6:57 PM..
Old 04-06-2008, 6:46 PM

Maybe a mod can move it to the best spot?

Last edited by Capt Jack; 04-06-2008 at 9:59 PM.. Reason: edited
Old 04-06-2008, 6:58 PM

For payment USPMO, with signiture requirement.
Without a Seller history, do what ever research you can... If something seems wrong I' d put up the guards.

In terms of shipping, I have an account online with FedEx and USPS... So I usually e-mail a shipping label to the seller...

All the seller has to do is attach the label on the box and deliver to the shipper, I always ask the sell to include a copy of my C&R or the FFL's license inside of the packaging; Just in case...

This should be moved...
with a Free Floating Piston...

Last edited by Cali-V; 04-06-2008 at 9:38 PM..
Old 04-06-2008, 9:03 PM
Veteran Member

i have always believed in cash, keeps the problems away.

but i think your answer is "cashers check" drawn at your local bank.
trackable if not received and cashed by the wrong person.

money orders, forget them they are treated as cash your loss.
if found at a latter date you must repay the post office.

Old 04-06-2008, 9:10 PM

Credit Cards?

Oh I see, you are talking PPT, then I would send a check .
Old 04-07-2008, 8:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I always used USPS Money orders. Certified mail so if there is a problem them it is mail fraud. Also I do a reverse directory or a name search to verify the person.

Jerry
Old 04-07-2008, 9:03 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfull View Post
I always used USPS Money orders. Certified mail so if there is a problem them it is mail fraud. Also I do a reverse directory or a name search to verify the person.
+1 - also before sending the money order make sure the seller has faxed (or mailed a copy) of his ID and stuff to the FFL who will receive the gun. This way you have a legal document at the FFL if needed, but aren't violating their right to privacy so they won't get bent. Call the FFL and just ask if it looks legit as well, just in case.
Old 04-07-2008, 9:14 AM
Veteran Member

Your bank's cashier's check, so you can track it if he cashed it or not.
________
How To Roll A Joint

Last edited by t0kie; 09-19-2011 at 12:21 PM..
Old 04-07-2008, 9:45 AM

thanks for all the great replies! I don't want to get burned on my first purchase.

So far there isn't anything weird about the deal as we are still setting it up but I wanted to get an idea of the best way to approach this to avoid any misunderstanding.

It sounds like the best method is to send a Cashier's Check or USPS money order with certified mail and the seller sending his ID to the FFL before doing so.

I think that sounds reasonable.

The first LGS that I went to wants him to ship from his FFL to avoid any problems although from what I have read, some shops will accept from an individual but it is entirely up to them and they may insist on having him ship from his FFL.

I will call around and talk to some more shops as that seems like it will increase the price.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack View Post
It sounds like the best method is to send a Cashier's Check or USPS money order with certified mail and the seller sending his ID to the FFL before doing so.

The first LGS that I went to wants him to ship from his FFL to avoid any problems although from what I have read, some shops will accept from an individual but it is entirely up to them and they may insist on having him ship from his FFL.

I will call around and talk to some more shops as that seems like it will increase the price.
Some stuff to consider...

What's seller's feedback look like??

For weapons buys, I provide my mobile phone number and address; I expect the same from the seller. If I have any questions, I pick up the phone

I tell my seller to ship via my fed-ex account; insure the package; request adult sig.

You and/or he won't have any problems if the seller ships without using a licensee...what were you expecting?? Seller shipping from a licensee raises you cost.

Send your payment certified mail w/ a return receipt.

99 per cent of what happens is based on the integrity of the buyer and seller; once you ffl gets the gun, you're almost home free.

hth

-hanko

I never once felt out of place or that people were intolerant...but then again, I didn't ask any dumbass questions ...saxman

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain
Old 04-07-2008, 7:15 PM

A bit of an update, I spoke with the seller and he stated that he would ship to an FFL which was great. He didn't think it needed to go thru an FFL on his side if he got a copy of my FFL's license. I spoke with a shop (one of about 3 in the area) and the lady behind the counter said that she would want him to ship it thru an FFL to them and not directly.

I guess I should call a few more and see what they say? I'm sure the FFL's biggest fear is having a malfunctioning or non-listed gun show up and them being stuck in the middle. Maybe I can somehow assure them of this? The gun is a Ruger P94 9mm in Stainless (I finally found one at a good price) and is on the DOJ roster as far as I can tell:

P94 / Blue Steel, Alum. Alloy Pistol 4.2" 9mm 12/31/2008
KP94 / Stainless Steel, Alum. Alloy Pistol 4.2" 9mm 12/31/2008

I am gonna make some calls tomorrow and see if a local shop will accept from an individual as it sounds like its possible. Thanks again for the help!

Last edited by Capt Jack; 04-07-2008 at 9:16 PM.. Reason: doj info
Old 04-07-2008, 8:55 PM
Banned

Pistols require FFL to FFL transfer if its not a PPT. So I was told.